Skys "Unlimited" Broadband Really Unlimited ?

Old January 16th 11, 08:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon

Default Skys "Unlimited" Broadband Really Unlimited ?

Sorry to have to ask here . I was on Skys basic broadband with a usage limit
of 2 GB a month but they recently upgraded me to their "unlimited" broadband
as I had used slightly more twice in a 6 month period.

This upgrade incurs extra cost to me. I thought if this is what they want to
do I will take advantage of it and I have already used 10GB in two weeks !

I tried to ring Sky to find out if their really is no upper limit , first I
got through to someone in India whose accent was so bad I had to stop the
call. I tried again and got through to someone in the UK who said he "didn't
know" but said I would probably get an email if my usage went real high.

I also looked on the Sky website in the "Broadband usage allowance guide"
which states "Sky Broadband Unlimited is truly unlimited so doesn't have a
usage allowance". That seems clear to me but knowing Sky they probably have
a clause hidden somewhere. Anyone on Skys unlimited able to comment ?
Thanks
Simon

Old January 16th 11, 08:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

"Simon" wrote in message
[...]

?

There was an advert the other night on "ordinary" TV for Sky BB but as I'm
not requiring a change of ISP I did not pay full attention.
It was comparing the unlimited and speeds of Sky against BT limits and
slowing down of speeds by BT, so it would seem to me you are on the right
lines with your Sky.
Shame about the Indian call centre though as BT use an Indian call centre as
well.
Regards
David

Old January 16th 11, 11:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
FooAtari

On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 20:02:57 +0000, Simon wrote:

[...]

I'm a heavy user at times, in the past I have downloaded upwards of 80Gb
of data in one month on my old ISP. And I can think of one particular
time since I joined Sky that I must have downloaded far in excess of 100Gb
and I'm sure there are people who use much more than that.

And I've never heard a thing from them, not one complaint or warning.

I think all LLU packages from the various ISP's that offer it is
unlimited? I assume there must be something in LLU that allows them to do
it at very low cost as you can bet if they were loosing money we would
soon know about it.
Old January 17th 11, 08:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kim

FooAtari wrote:

I think all LLU packages from the various ISP's that offer it is
unlimited? I assume there must be something in LLU that allows them
to do it at very low cost as you can bet if they were loosing money
we would soon know about it.

We wish! Many unbundled provider contracts have limits as low as 10GB per
month.

(kim)

Old January 17th 11, 09:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.broadband Job Justification Hearings, FooAtari
chose the tried and tested strategy of:

I think all LLU packages from the various ISP's that offer it is
unlimited? I assume there must be something in LLU that allows them to do
it at very low cost as you can bet if they were loosing money we would
soon know about it.

They're not paying BT as much for it. On the other hand, Orange, Sky, O2 can
get other revenue from you in order to to cross-subsidise.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
21:15:17 up 36 days, 19:21, 1 user, load average: 0.94, 0.45, 0.26

Old January 17th 11, 09:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
FooAtari

On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 21:17:17 +0000, alexd wrote:

They're not paying BT as much for it.

Ah, makes sense.