Router recomentation

Old January 21st 11, 09:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Default Router recomentation

What's the current recomendation for a basic ADSL router, with the following
wishlist:

1) Cheap

2) Wireless version available

3) Keyhole slots on base to allow wall mounting

4) Ability to save & restore configuration

5) Dynamic DNS support

6) Management from WAN, with Access Control List

7) Can be configured in bridge mode

I used to use the Edimax AR-7084A but they stopped making them ...

TIA

-- Graham J

Old January 21st 11, 09:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pete Zahut

Graham J wrote:
What's the current recomendation for a basic ADSL router, with the
following wishlist:

1) Cheap

2) Wireless version available

3) Keyhole slots on base to allow wall mounting

4) Ability to save & restore configuration

5) Dynamic DNS support

6) Management from WAN, with Access Control List

7) Can be configured in bridge mode

I used to use the Edimax AR-7084A but they stopped making them ...

TIA

-- Graham J

I'm a big fan of Linksys routers - you should be able to find what you want
from their range.

Old January 21st 11, 10:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 09:31:21 -0000, "Graham J" [email protected] wrote:

What's the current recomendation for a basic ADSL router, with the following
wishlist:

1) Cheap

How much are you willing to pay? You can get secondhand routers from
ebay at very low price.

2) Wireless version available

Most have wireless now but you can also buy a separate access point.

3) Keyhole slots on base to allow wall mounting

Or use a shelf?

4) Ability to save & restore configuration

5) Dynamic DNS support

6) Management from WAN, with Access Control List

7) Can be configured in bridge mode

You'll have to look up the specs to find out but I suspect the
majority of routers will do these.

I used to use the Edimax AR-7084A but they stopped making them ...

Zyxel, 2wire, and some Netgear routers are good. Take your pick.
Some recommend Linksys but I've never used them so can't say.
--
(\__/) M.

Old January 21st 11, 11:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

"Mark" wrote in message
On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 09:31:21 -0000, "Graham J" [email protected] wrote:

What's the current recomendation for a basic ADSL router, with the
following
wishlist:

1) Cheap

How much are you willing to pay? You can get secondhand routers from
ebay at very low price.

2) Wireless version available

Most have wireless now but you can also buy a separate access point.

I'm looking for a supplier who offers a non-wireless version cheaper than I
wireless version, for the finanncially challenged customer. I am aware that
an access point is a possible solution ...

3) Keyhole slots on base to allow wall mounting

Or use a shelf?

This is a wish-list. I know some devices will sit on a shelf; but if there
is a choice between otherwise similar devices, one of which will wall-mount,
then that's what I would prefer.

4) Ability to save & restore configuration

5) Dynamic DNS support

6) Management from WAN, with Access Control List

7) Can be configured in bridge mode

You'll have to look up the specs to find out but I suspect the
majority of routers will do these.

I used to use the Edimax AR-7084A but they stopped making them ...

Zyxel, 2wire, and some Netgear routers are good. Take your pick.
Some recommend Linksys but I've never used them so can't say.

Really looking for user experience here.

For example: I know that Netgear only allow WAN management from one IP
address - not from a list of IP addresses.

--
Graham J

Old January 21st 11, 11:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Graham J wrote:
"Mark" wrote in message
[...]

Not exactly true, you can have a single address, a range of addresses or
anyone and everyone.
Old January 21st 11, 12:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Invalid

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
Really looking for user experience here.
For example: I know that Netgear only allow WAN management from one
IP address - not from a list of IP addresses.

Not exactly true, you can have a single address, a range of addresses
or anyone and everyone.

If you use the DGTeam firmware it allows for Single/IP Range/IP address
list & Everyone, it also offers HTTPS as well as HTTP.

Get and ex Sky unit off e-bay (10-20) and flash it.
--
Invalid
Old January 21st 11, 01:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

[snip]

For example: I know that Netgear only allow WAN management from one IP
address - not from a list of IP addresses.

Not exactly true, you can have a single address, a range of addresses or
anyone and everyone.

You are correct, but what I want is to specify a list:

IP A
IP B
IP C
IP D

etc.

I have two static IP addresses on two phone lines, load sharing through a
V2910 router. To manage a remote router that remote router must know about
my two IP addreses.

My colleague has the same arrangement - so the minimum number of independent
entries in the ACL should be 4. The Edimax allowed a much larger number
than 4.

-- Graham J

Old January 21st 11, 01:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Henderson

In article ,
Graham J [email protected] wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 09:31:21 -0000, "Graham J" [email protected] wrote:

What's the current recomendation for a basic ADSL router, with the
following
wishlist:

1) Cheap

How much are you willing to pay? You can get secondhand routers from
ebay at very low price.

2) Wireless version available

Most have wireless now but you can also buy a separate access point.

I'm looking for a supplier who offers a non-wireless version cheaper than I
wireless version, for the finanncially challenged customer. I am aware that
an access point is a possible solution ...

My experience is that the "finanncially challenged customer" isn't worth
having as you end up spending more of your own time on them than you
get back. If my customers can't afford a Draytek then they're not my
customers...

Gordon
Old January 21st 11, 01:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Graham J wrote:
[snip]

For example: I know that Netgear only allow WAN management from one IP
address - not from a list of IP addresses.

Not exactly true, you can have a single address, a range of addresses or
anyone and everyone.

You are correct, but what I want is to specify a list:

IP A
IP B
IP C
IP D

etc.

I have two static IP addresses on two phone lines, load sharing through a
V2910 router. To manage a remote router that remote router must know about
my two IP addreses.

My colleague has the same arrangement - so the minimum number of independent
entries in the ACL should be 4. The Edimax allowed a much larger number
than 4.

-- Graham J

My billion Bipac 7404 will allow two management addresses or ranges, or
any, to be set up.

i.e. there are two addresses with a ip address AND netmask available.

I just checked and its wall hangable as well.

If your two fixed IP addresses are adjacent (and your colleagues), that
should suit you.
Old January 21st 11, 01:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

In article ,
"Mark" wrote in message
[...]

Well the Billion is slightly cheaper than the draytek.
If you get the one without VOIP..

5200W is available sub 40, but its unclear as to how management access
is restricted..

Billions are NOT your stoppd consumer routers. They are confusing to set
up, but they are ideal and full featured with a smart person on the web
interface.