IP Profile for your line is - 2000 Kbps - means what?

Old January 22nd 11, 08:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ken

Default IP Profile for your line is - 2000 Kbps - means what?

Just done a BT speed test and it says as below. What does this mean. When I
first joined Plusnet last May I was getting 6mb but now it is always less
than 2mb. Does it mean BT or Plusnet have capped the maximum speed and if so
why?
Ken

"IP Profile for your line is - 2000 Kbps"

Old January 22nd 11, 10:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.broadband Job Justification Hearings, ken chose
the tried and tested strategy of:

Just done a BT speed test and it says as below. What does this mean. When
I first joined Plusnet last May I was getting 6mb but now it is always
less than 2mb. Does it mean BT or Plusnet have capped the maximum speed
and if so why?

Because that's as fast as your line can go, in theory. In most cases this is
correct, however occasionally you can get a "stuck profile" where the line
speed increases but the profile doesn't. Post some line stats from your
router and we can give you a fuller answer.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
10:39:41 up 5 days, 17:25, 8 users, load average: 0.50, 0.19, 0.26

Old January 22nd 11, 12:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

On 22/01/2011 10:41, alexd wrote:
Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.broadband Job Justification Hearings, ken chose
the tried and tested strategy of:

Just done a BT speed test and it says as below. What does this mean. When
I first joined Plusnet last May I was getting 6mb but now it is always
less than 2mb. Does it mean BT or Plusnet have capped the maximum speed
and if so why?

Because that's as fast as your line can go, in theory. In most cases this is
correct, however occasionally you can get a "stuck profile" where the line
speed increases but the profile doesn't. Post some line stats from your
router and we can give you a fuller answer.

It might be more productive for you if you were to post this in the
relevant Plusnet newsgroup - plusnet.service.customer-feedback - where
it's more likely to get some action.
Or better still, go to the Plusnet portal and raise a question in the
member centre.
Failing that, pick up the phone and contact Plusnet:
0114 296 5198.
There's clearly something wrong with your line or connection if you've
gone from 6 Megs to 2 Megs, and the best way to get it sorted is for you
to report this directly to Plusnet.

George
Old January 22nd 11, 01:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Wibble

"ken" wrote in message
o.uk...
Just done a BT speed test and it says as below. What does this mean. When
I first joined Plusnet last May I was getting 6mb but now it is always
less than 2mb. Does it mean BT or Plusnet have capped the maximum speed
and if so why?
Ken

"IP Profile for your line is - 2000 Kbps"

Whay speed are you currently synching at?

Old January 22nd 11, 01:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ken

"George Weston" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for reply and I raised a ticket yesterday morning at 9.00 a.m. and
still waiting to hear. I had a bigger problem in recent times and every time
I called it said there would be at lease a 30 minute wait due to high call
volumes. That problem was when my BB had been taken off my line. BT blamed
Plusnet. Plusnet blamed BT. But after persevering with Plusnet and talking
to differing people they admitted they (Plusnet) had cut off the connection.

They managed to cut it off immediately but said it would take up to a week
to get me back online. It took six days. The added mystery is during the
period of being disconnected I still had 300 mb of use showing on the
Plusnet "check your usage". I also raised a ticket on that and am still
waiting to hear.
Ken

Old January 22nd 11, 01:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ken

"Wibble" wrote in message

"ken" wrote in message
o.uk...
Just done a BT speed test and it says as below. What does this mean. When
I first joined Plusnet last May I was getting 6mb but now it is always
less than 2mb. Does it mean BT or Plusnet have capped the maximum speed
and if so why?
Ken

"IP Profile for your line is - 2000 Kbps"

Whay speed are you currently synching at?

Hi

Not sure I understand the terminology but every speed test is showing
1.9'ish mbs.

Bit more info here from my Plusnet log in stuff: -

"Estimated line speed:
8Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) - Checked on 2011-01-03 19:02:03
Current line speed: 7.15 Mb"

Bit more info from my BT test: -

"Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates
that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that
provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL
Max broadband line speed of 8Mbps; typically the line speed would range
between 7Mbps and 8Mbps."

Hope amongst this there is a bit more that may help.

Ken

Old January 22nd 11, 02:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ken

"alexd" wrote in message
[...]

Thank you for trying to help and excuse my being so thick but can't seem to
work out where I can read the line stats from my router????

Possibly being a cheap one it may have limited information? it is a D-Link
DSL-2640B

Ken

Old January 22nd 11, 02:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ken

"ken" wrote in message
o.uk...
Just done a BT speed test and it says as below. What does this mean. When
I first joined Plusnet last May I was getting 6mb but now it is always
less than 2mb. Does it mean BT or Plusnet have capped the maximum speed
and if so why?
Ken

"IP Profile for your line is - 2000 Kbps"

Hooray just done another speed test and back to 6mb +.

Not heard from Plusnet but wonder if they have tweaked something.

Here's the readout from the BT test just done: -

Download speedachieved during the test was - 6187 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :8128 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 7150 Kbps

Thank you all for your willingness to offer help.

Ken

Old January 22nd 11, 04:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

On 22/01/2011 14:00, ken wrote:

"alexd" wrote in message
[...]

Glad to hear you're back on the right speed.
How to get stats from your DSL-2640B:
Go to your browser (Internet explorer or whatever) and type in your
router's internet address - should be 192.168.1.1
Type in your username and password that you allocated to the router.
That should bring up your router's information pages in your browser.
Click on Status - that will give you some information
Then click on Statistics (left-hand menu).
This will give you the speed that your router is working - which will
probably be a lot higher than your IP Profile and throughput speeds as
measured by the speedtester.
Then click on Logout to leave your router's info pages.
Windows might then ask you to insert your username and password again -
if so, do it.

Hope that helps
George

Old January 22nd 11, 06:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ken

On 22/01/2011 14:00, ken wrote:

"alexd" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks George

Just looked and this is what is reported.

Mode: G.DMT
Type: ANNEX_A

Downstream Upstream
Rate (Kbps): 8128 kbps 448 kbps