Moving to 21CN and possibly new wireless n router?

Old January 26th 11, 02:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

Default Moving to 21CN and possibly new wireless n router?

I have gone for it and I have put in a request to regrade my line to
ADSL2+ from ADSLMax with Plusnet which should be enabled in '5-7
working' days.

My current cheapie safecom router should in theory be capable of ADSL2+,
but if it's a limiting factor I may have to replace it. If I need to
replace it what kind of things do I need to out for?

Does wireless n really have a dramatic improvement over a/b/g? There's
only one place in the house that I struggle to get a wi-fi signal,
currently. We have a mix of g (phone, wii, squeezebox) and n (laptop)
capable devices in the house. Do they all have to be connected at the
same speed or can some connect at n speeds and others g?

Also, the configuration of the safecom is awful. Which brands of router
have helpful and meaningful, but feature rich configurations? I'd really
like to be able to set up dyndns to access my home machine from the WAN
side, but I'll probably need some hand-holding. Are all routers capable
of this?

Also, my children are getting to an age where the internet will be a
major part of their lives in the next couple of years. To avoid it being
/too/ big a part I'd like to be able control access at the router level
(i.e. by time of day and MAC address). Is that doable? Expensive?

Sorry, this seems to have become a bit long with lots of questions.
Answers/suggests to any of them would be very much appreciated.
Cheers,
Old January 26th 11, 03:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On 26/01/2011 14:39, chris wrote:
I have gone for it and I have put in a request to regrade my line to
ADSL2+ from ADSLMax with Plusnet which should be enabled in '5-7
working' days.

My current cheapie safecom router should in theory be capable of ADSL2+,
but if it's a limiting factor I may have to replace it. If I need to
replace it what kind of things do I need to out for?

Does wireless n really have a dramatic improvement over a/b/g?

IMO, the difference *is* noticeable.

There's
only one place in the house that I struggle to get a wi-fi signal,
currently. We have a mix of g (phone, wii, squeezebox) and n (laptop)
capable devices in the house. Do they all have to be connected at the
same speed or can some connect at n speeds and others g?

Some can connect at n, others g. I've a similar set-up in my own house
using a Zyxel 660HN-T1A.

Also, the configuration of the safecom is awful. Which brands of router
have helpful and meaningful, but feature rich configurations? I'd really
like to be able to set up dyndns to access my home machine from the WAN
side, but I'll probably need some hand-holding. Are all routers capable
of this?

The Zyxel I'm using certainly is. Even if your router doesn't have any
dynamic DNS settings, then you can always install a software client on
the computer itself that will allow you to do the same thing.

Also, my children are getting to an age where the internet will be a
major part of their lives in the next couple of years. To avoid it being
/too/ big a part I'd like to be able control access at the router level
(i.e. by time of day and MAC address). Is that doable? Expensive?

Can't really help with that one. I've had a few routers that offer this
functionality in the past. but I've never had a need to tinker with any
of the settings.

Old January 26th 11, 06:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaius

In article ,
says...

[...]

The Draytek 2820n will do all of this and MUCH more. It is very flexible
and feature rich (particularly the firewall), but there is quite a
learning curve if you want to use it to the full.

It's not a cheapie, but you get what you pay for. (I've never regretted
it)
Old January 26th 11, 08:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.broadband Job Justification Hearings, chris
chose the tried and tested strategy of:

My current cheapie safecom router should in theory be capable of ADSL2+,
but if it's a limiting factor I may have to replace it. If I need to
replace it what kind of things do I need to out for?

Availability of firmware updates. If the only version on the manufacturers
site is 1.0.0.0 then tough **** if it's got bugs in.

Does wireless n really have a dramatic improvement over a/b/g?

I've seen 3x the max throughput on N compared to G. Haven't noticed any
different wrt coverage, but then I can't get very far from my N AP...

There's
only one place in the house that I struggle to get a wi-fi signal,
currently. We have a mix of g (phone, wii, squeezebox) and n (laptop)
capable devices in the house. Do they all have to be connected at the
same speed or can some connect at n speeds and others g?

An AP radio will always drop to the speed of the slowest client. Assuming a
single radio, if your Squeezebox is on all the time, then your laptop will
never connect at N speeds. So if you're set on buying a new router, use your
old one as an AP for the non-N clients.

Also, the configuration of the safecom is awful. Which brands of router
have helpful and meaningful, but feature rich configurations?

I like the Speedtouch routers. Plenty of features in the web interface, and
everything's available through the CLI. Plain-text config as well. Don't
know widely available they are without ISP-branded firmware. Last Draytek I
used was atrocious, but they may have improved by now. Zyxel and Netgears
are reasonably well laid out. Linksys/Cisco Small Biz are variable [eg no
router should never need Flash]. Only used one Belkin and it was awful.

I'd really like to be able to set up dyndns to access my home machine from
the WAN side, but I'll probably need some hand-holding. Are all routers
capable of this?

If all you want is GUI, then it's probably easier to create a free Logmein
account. If you're the family's go-to IT man, then you'll find it handy for
that too :-)

Also, my children are getting to an age where the internet will be a
major part of their lives in the next couple of years. To avoid it being
/too/ big a part I'd like to be able control access at the router level
(i.e. by time of day and MAC address). Is that doable? Expensive?

This shouldn't be expensive. Even a cheap Zyxel has keyword filtering.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
19:29:17 up 10 days, 2:15, 8 users, load average: 0.05, 0.08, 0.50

Old January 26th 11, 10:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On 26/01/2011 20:22, alexd wrote:
Assuming a
single radio, if your Squeezebox is on all the time, then your laptop will
never connect at N speeds.

Guessing mine must be dual radio then as the laptop I'm using to type on
is connected at 54Mbps b/g, whilst my desktop upstairs is connected at
135Mbps n.

Old January 26th 11, 10:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bernard Peek

On 26/01/11 14:39, chris wrote:
I have gone for it and I have put in a request to regrade my line to
ADSL2+ from ADSLMax with Plusnet which should be enabled in '5-7
working' days.

My current cheapie safecom router should in theory be capable of ADSL2+,
but if it's a limiting factor I may have to replace it. If I need to
replace it what kind of things do I need to out for?

Make one change at a time. Get the new service working with your
existing router then decide whether you still need to upgrade. Upgrades
to 21CN can be problematical so knowing that your router works will
eliminate one possible problem source.

--
Bernard Peek

Old January 26th 11, 10:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike Civil

In article ,
Plusnet Support Team wrote:
Guessing mine must be dual radio then as the laptop I'm using to type on
is connected at 54Mbps b/g, whilst my desktop upstairs is connected at
135Mbps n.

I /think/ the adaption is dynamic, ie all devices will report their
current maximum negotiated link speed, but the 802.11n devices will
throttle themselves if 802.11b/g devices are active at the same time.
I also understand that an 802.11n device will throttle if it detects
other active 802.11b/g devices on the same (or overlapping) channels in
the vicinity even if they belong to different SSIDs. And things can get
potentially worse if using wider channels for 300mbps capable devices.....

The same obviously holds true for 802.11a and 802.11n although the
greater number of chennels and lack of overlap makes things a lot simpler
here. Basically, if you can, go the 5Ghz route
Old January 27th 11, 08:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rodney Pont

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 14:39:30 +0000, chris wrote:

I have gone for it and I have put in a request to regrade my line to
ADSL2+ from ADSLMax with Plusnet which should be enabled in '5-7
working' days.

My current cheapie safecom router should in theory be capable of ADSL2+,
but if it's a limiting factor I may have to replace it. If I need to
replace it what kind of things do I need to out for?

Don'tlu
--
Regards - Rodney Pont
e-mail rpont (at) gmail (dot) com

Old January 27th 11, 08:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rodney Pont

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 14:39:30 +0000, chris wrote:

I have gone for it and I have put in a request to regrade my line to
ADSL2+ from ADSLMax with Plusnet which should be enabled in '5-7
working' days.

My current cheapie safecom router should in theory be capable of ADSL2+,
but if it's a limiting factor I may have to replace it. If I need to
replace it what kind of things do I need to out for?

Don't Plusnet supply a router free of charge if you stay with them for
12 months?

--
Regards - Rodney Pont
e-mail rpont (at) gmail (dot) com

Old January 27th 11, 09:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

On 26/01/11 18:06, Gaius wrote:
In [email protected] w.co.uk,
says...

[...]

You're not kidding! At about 150 quid it's 100 quid more than I'm
prepared to spend. It's way OTT for my needs. The Draytek 2710 is nearer
my needs but still expensive.

I do get the whole 'you get what you pay for', but I still need to stick
to a budget. The Zyxel looks nearer my needs and pocket. Had a look at
the manual and looks pretty user-friendly.

Thanks for the suggestions.