Consultation on advertising practises for broadband

Old January 29th 11, 02:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Default Consultation on advertising practises for broadband

To anyone who's ever whinged about misleading adverts for broadband, here's
your chance to let your feelings known to an organisation who might just be
able to do something about it:

http://www.cap.org.uk/CAP-and-BCAP-C...ultations/CAP-
BCAP-Unlimited-claims-in-telecoms.aspx

The only sensible option is D: "The exclusion of services that include an
FUP that restricts usage in any way". I don't think advertisers should be
allowed use the term 'unlimited' to describe something that is limited.

http://www.cap.org.uk/CAP-and-BCAP-C...ultations/CAP-
BCAP-Up-to-speed-claims-in-broadband.aspx

C1 is my choice: "Speed claims based on a theoretical maximum speed are
likely to be acceptable provided that they are qualified prominently with a
statement of typical performance.

The “typical” performance claim must be based on the inter-quartile range of
actual speeds received by all subscribers to a service. For example, an
advertisement for a service described as ‘Up to 20 Meg' might state “Typical
Performance: 8-12 Meg”."

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
12:29:48 up 1 day, 16:06, 6 users, load average: 0.23, 0.06, 0.02

Old January 29th 11, 08:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

"alexd" wrote in message ...
[...]

just as an aside re that PDF, section 2.1

I wasn't aware that Virgin Media used "local telephone exchanges" to house
any part of its infrastructure.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old January 30th 11, 08:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"Graham." wrote in message

"alexd" wrote in message
[...]

That's so that the thickies will understand. The fact that all
calls route to a local concentrator, then whistle down fibre to a
switch somewhere else and back again is way above the IQ of many
'locals.' We might understand it but most won't.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old January 30th 11, 06:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Davies

alexd wrote:
To anyone who's ever whinged about misleading adverts for broadband, here's
your chance to let your feelings known to an organisation who might just be
able to do something about it:

http://www.cap.org.uk/CAP-and-BCAP-C...ultations/CAP-
BCAP-Unlimited-claims-in-telecoms.aspx

So where does one add one's opinions to this consultation?
Chris
Old January 31st 11, 10:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 14:32:16 +0000, alexd
wrote:

To anyone who's ever whinged about misleading adverts for broadband, here's
your chance to let your feelings known to an organisation who might just be
able to do something about it:

http://www.cap.org.uk/CAP-and-BCAP-C...ultations/CAP-
BCAP-Unlimited-claims-in-telecoms.aspx

I can't believe they need to have a consultation to decide on the
meaning of the word "unlimited". Why can't they consult a dictionary
?

The only sensible option is D: "The exclusion of services that include an
FUP that restricts usage in any way". I don't think advertisers should be
allowed use the term 'unlimited' to describe something that is limited.

http://www.cap.org.uk/CAP-and-BCAP-C...ultations/CAP-
BCAP-Up-to-speed-claims-in-broadband.aspx

C1 is my choice: "Speed claims based on a theoretical maximum speed are
likely to be acceptable provided that they are qualified prominently with a
statement of typical performance.

The typical performance claim must be based on the inter-quartile range of
actual speeds received by all subscribers to a service. For example, an
advertisement for a service described as Up to 20 Meg might state Typical
Performance: 8-12 Meg."

I'd probably go for C2. However I still think this leaves scope for
misleading claims and I would like to avoid the situation that
encourages people to switch ISPs to get faster speeds when they have
no chance of any improvement.
--
(\__/) M.