9.50 broadband woowee !

Old January 31st 11, 01:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaius

Default 9.50 broadband woowee !

In article ,
says...

http://www.incahoot.com/home-broadband/

The real COST to an ISP of providing an ADSL-delivered service is in the
order of 25 to 30.

So where do you think their margin is going to come from ?
(Hint - There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....)
Old January 31st 11, 01:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
River Tarnell

In article ,
Gaius wrote:
The real COST to an ISP of providing an ADSL-delivered service is in the
order of 25 to 30.

How did you calculate this?

- river.
Old January 31st 11, 01:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Gaius wrote:
In article ,
says...
http://www.incahoot.com/home-broadband/

The real COST to an ISP of providing an ADSL-delivered service is in the
order of 25 to 30.

Last time I checked the bare technical; costs were, for a rather
congested service, about 7.50

So where do you think their margin is going to come from ?
(Hint - There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....)

Indeed.
Old January 31st 11, 02:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Mc

Gaius wrote:
: In article ,
: says...
:
:
http://www.incahoot.com/home-broadband/
:
:

: The real COST to an ISP of providing an ADSL-delivered service is in the
: order of 25 to 30.

Rubbish! LLU providers can (and do!) it for typically 13!
Old March 5th 11, 11:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaz

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Gaius wrote:
In article ,
says...
http://www.incahoot.com/home-broadband/

The real COST to an ISP of providing an ADSL-delivered service is in
the order of 25 to 30.

Last time I checked the bare technical; costs were, for a rather
congested service, about 7.50

And Sky provide one of the finest unmetered products in the country for that
price (to subscribers to their tv service). Of course, though they can allow
the service to lose money as it effectively kills the churn rate for
customers who take it up.

Old March 5th 11, 11:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
FooAtari

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 13:04:14 +0000, Gaius wrote:

The real COST to an ISP of providing an ADSL-delivered service is in the
order of 25 to 30.

So where do you think their margin is going to come from ? (Hint - There
ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....)

I used to use Plus.net before LLU became available in my area and I then
moved to Sky. They were not that bad. The FUP was a little annoying at
times as a heavy user, having to schedule downloads overnight. But the
connection was generally always fast and stable. I always thought there
were pretty good value, and more than sufficient for an average user. My
Dad still uses them and the service is pretty decent. There are far worse
ISP's out there.

--
Organ and Blood Donation saves lives. Register Now
www.uktransplant.org www.scotblood.co.uk
Old March 6th 11, 12:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

On 05/03/2011 23:52, FooAtari wrote:
On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 13:04:14 +0000, Gaius wrote:

The real COST to an ISP of providing an ADSL-delivered service is in the
order of 25 to 30.

So where do you think their margin is going to come from ? (Hint - There
ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....)

I used to use Plus.net before LLU became available in my area and I then
moved to Sky. They were not that bad. The FUP was a little annoying at
times as a heavy user, having to schedule downloads overnight. But the
connection was generally always fast and stable. I always thought there
were pretty good value, and more than sufficient for an average user. My
Dad still uses them and the service is pretty decent. There are far worse
ISP's out there.

Yep - I've heard that Sky are pretty good but there's always a payback.
One: their customer service (if required) is reputedly less than perfect
- and standardised with a locked router.
Two: to get the full advantage of Sky broadband you need to sign up to
their TV service - which is fine if you want thousands of channel with
"nothing on" and are prepared to pay six hundred quid or more a year for
the privilege.
You pays your money and takes your choice...

George