Anyone getting problems in Scotland today - BT Broadband 01397

Old February 4th 11, 04:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MB

Default Anyone getting problems in Scotland today - BT Broadband 01397

My BT Broadband connection has been very slow all day 179K download.

Checked everything of mine and spent an hour on the phone to the helpline
but they cannot find the answer. BUT I have heard from others having
problems so wondering if there is a BT fault again and as usual they have
not bothered to tell the people getting the reports from customers.

Old February 4th 11, 05:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Weston

In article , "MB" wrote:

My BT Broadband connection has been very slow all day 179K download.

Checked everything of mine and spent an hour on the phone to the helpline
but they cannot find the answer. BUT I have heard from others having
problems so wondering if there is a BT fault again and as usual they have
not bothered to tell the people getting the reports from customers.

Not here, down in the south-west, but still in the storm - 01292, routed
via Edinburgh. I've just run a speed test and it's 6500K, spot on my
BRAS. I'm with A&A ISP, so you may have a BTinternet-unique problem?

Is your ADSL sync rate OK, or have you got water in your Openreach ducts
causing problems. Round here, there are many road drains not coping with
the downpour.

--
John W

Old February 5th 11, 12:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaius

This looks like the Christmas network problems coming back again. I
heard a rumour that the help desk weren't being at all helpful in their
usual way and may have made things much worse by failing to pass on
legitimate fault reports. Hence network ops didn't realise the scale of
the problem. It looks as if that's what is happening now, going by the
grumbles in the BT support forum.

BT also doesn't usually tell anybody when they are about to do a network
alteration or upgrade, and when it all goes tits up they clam up and
deny all knowledge.

Don't you just love them.

ps If there's anybody from BT here, FFS phone network ops in St Albans
(or wherever it is now) and tell them to get the finger out
Old February 5th 11, 09:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.broadband Job Justification Hearings, Gaius
chose the tried and tested strategy of:

This looks like the Christmas network problems coming back again. I
heard a rumour that the help desk weren't being at all helpful in their
usual way and may have made things much worse by failing to pass on
legitimate fault reports. Hence network ops didn't realise the scale of
the problem.

It seems unlikely to me that BT don't have any kind of network monitoring
system in place that alerts them to latency, throughput, connectivity
issues, sudden loss of sessions, etc across their network.

BT also doesn't usually tell anybody when they are about to do a network
alteration or upgrade, and when it all goes tits up they clam up and
deny all knowledge.

Google for "bt pew".

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
09:36:41 up 4 days, 14:30, 6 users, load average: 0.25, 1.65, 1.61

Old February 5th 11, 11:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Weston

In article , "Gaius" wrote:

BT also doesn't usually tell anybody when they are about to do a network
alteration or upgrade, and when it all goes tits up they clam up and
deny all knowledge.

I think you mean BTinternet? Even I, as a customer of another ISP, get
to know about planned BT wholesale work.

--
John W

Old February 5th 11, 01:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

On 04/02/2011 16:52, MB wrote:
My BT Broadband connection has been very slow all day 179K download.

Checked everything of mine and spent an hour on the phone to the
helpline but they cannot find the answer. BUT I have heard from others
having problems so wondering if there is a BT fault again and as usual
they have not bothered to tell the people getting the reports from
customers.

Looks like it was a general fault with BT (not just Scotland). Should be
OK now?
Plusnet picked up on it and issued the following statement to its customers:

"Our suppliers have confirmed that the root cause of the issue has been
identified and the problem resolved.
Any customers affected by this should however be able to reconnect
straight away. If you are unable to connect again we recommend powering
down your router for 30 minutes before attempting to reconnect.
If you are still having problems after trying this, then please get in
touch via the usual support channels.
Apologies for any inconvenience,"

George

Old February 5th 11, 02:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaius

In article , says...

Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.broadband Job Justification Hearings, Gaius
chose the tried and tested strategy of:

This looks like the Christmas network problems coming back again. I
heard a rumour that the help desk weren't being at all helpful in their
usual way and may have made things much worse by failing to pass on
legitimate fault reports. Hence network ops didn't realise the scale of
the problem.

It seems to have been related to the Edinburgh BRAS servers last time.
You'd think that some care would have been taken to prevent a
reoccurence.

It seems unlikely to me that BT don't have any kind of network monitoring
system in place that alerts them to latency, throughput, connectivity
issues, sudden loss of sessions, etc across their network.

I agree. But a network management system is only as good as :
1 Its implementation
2 Its operators.

BT also doesn't usually tell anybody when they are about to do a network
alteration or upgrade, and when it all goes tits up they clam up and
deny all knowledge.

Google for "bt pew".

Then why don't BT Retail tell their customers ? AAISP and Plusnet seem
to manage...

Why doesn't the "Help Desk" have an up to date list of planned works and
interruptions ?

Old February 5th 11, 08:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gaius

Latest update :

Warren Buckley, MD Customer Services, BT Retail, has just posted an
apology on the BT Community help forum, following a flood of angry
customer complaints. Lots of action apparently now in place. (It looks
as if an email to the CEO's office has successfully escalated this
debacle).

To my knowledge, this is the FIRST time that any BT manager of any real
seniority has EVER posted in a forum. One would hope this isn't an
isolated action.

Old February 5th 11, 10:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

On 05/02/2011 20:36, Gaius wrote:
Latest update :

Warren Buckley, MD Customer Services, BT Retail, has just posted an
apology on the BT Community help forum, following a flood of angry
customer complaints. Lots of action apparently now in place. (It looks
as if an email to the CEO's office has successfully escalated this
debacle).

To my knowledge, this is the FIRST time that any BT manager of any real
seniority has EVER posted in a forum. One would hope this isn't an
isolated action.

Perhaps the news has filtered up from their cut-price subsidiary
(Plusnet) that keeping customers appraised of cock-ups and progress
thereof engenders a certain amount of loyalty?

George

Old February 6th 11, 10:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Scott

On Fri, 4 Feb 2011 16:52:54 -0000, "MB" wrote:

My BT Broadband connection has been very slow all day 179K download.

Checked everything of mine and spent an hour on the phone to the helpline
but they cannot find the answer. BUT I have heard from others having
problems so wondering if there is a BT fault again and as usual they have
not bothered to tell the people getting the reports from customers.

Could it be a cyber attack on the UK rather than BT? William Hague
has just confirmed on the Andrew Marr show that such attacks are a
real prospect.