Talk Talk Business WWW upload server?

Old February 6th 11, 12:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Blanchard

Default Talk Talk Business WWW upload server?

I've been "moved" from Nildram, to Pipex, to Opal and finally ended up
on TalkTalk Business (probably very temporarily if this evening's
frustration is anything to go by). I now have a plethora of logins and
passwords, some of which no longer seem to work anywhere, and want to
upload some new content to my hosted web service.

I can still connect via FTP to "homepages.nildram.co.uk" but get a
incorrect login error and don't know which password I might need to
reset. Can anyone confirm what the hostname of the (presumably) FTP
server is that I need to use, and which username/password combination I
might want?

Thanks,

Andy

Old February 6th 11, 11:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sir Arthur Featherstonehaugh, Bart

"Andy Blanchard" wrote in message
I've been "moved" from Nildram, to Pipex, to Opal and finally ended up
on TalkTalk Business (probably very temporarily if this evening's
frustration is anything to go by). I now have a plethora of logins and
passwords, some of which no longer seem to work anywhere, and want to
upload some new content to my hosted web service.

I can still connect via FTP to "homepages.nildram.co.uk" but get a
incorrect login error and don't know which password I might need to
reset. Can anyone confirm what the hostname of the (presumably) FTP
server is that I need to use, and which username/password combination I
might want?

Thanks,

Andy

I would abandon TalkTalk, that entire firm is a waste of space. Don't expect
continuous internet & phone service from them, just expect loads of outages.

Old February 6th 11, 12:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Blanchard

On Sun, 6 Feb 2011 11:46:16 -0000, "Sir Arthur Featherstonehaugh, Bart"
wrote:

I would abandon TalkTalk, that entire firm is a waste of space. Don't expect
continuous internet & phone service from them, just expect loads of outages.

That's what I've heard and in the mid-term that's probably what I'm
going to do. In the short-term however I'd like to get my new content
uploaded, so any clues as to which server, username and password I need
to do that would be appreciated.

Regards,

Andy
Old February 6th 11, 02:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Herbie

Bart" wrote:

"Andy Blanchard" wrote in message
.. .
I've been "moved" from Nildram, to Pipex, to Opal and finally ended up
on TalkTalk Business (probably very temporarily if this evening's
frustration is anything to go by). I now have a plethora of logins and
passwords, some of which no longer seem to work anywhere, and want to
upload some new content to my hosted web service.

I can still connect via FTP to "homepages.nildram.co.uk" but get a
incorrect login error and don't know which password I might need to
reset. Can anyone confirm what the hostname of the (presumably) FTP
server is that I need to use, and which username/password combination I
might want?

Thanks,

Andy

I would abandon TalkTalk, that entire firm is a waste of space. Don't expect
continuous internet & phone service from them, just expect loads of outages.

Been with them for the last six months and the service has been rock
solid with no down time.
Old February 6th 11, 03:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Blanchard

On Sun, 06 Feb 2011 12:35:54 +0000, Andy Blanchard
wrote:

That's what I've heard and in the mid-term that's probably what I'm
going to do. In the short-term however I'd like to get my new content
uploaded, so any clues as to which server, username and password I need
to do that would be appreciated.

OK, sussed it. It's buried in the pagefull of text that scrolls off the
top of the screen when you try and login.

For the benefit of anyone searching via Google Groups etc., you need to
use the login for your original service provider (there are about half a
dozen listed) and the password that are also used on the router. For
me, coming from Nildram, my username is thus: ",
not just "domain" as it was originally.

Regards,

Andy
Old February 6th 11, 11:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lucky13

wrote:

"Andy wrote in message
[...]

I've only ever had one outage caused by them in the last few years. I
have had a couple of issues with the physical phone line which is an
Openreach issue and has been referred to them in a prompt manner.

If hosting is important to you then pick some up from a 3rd party
provider not your ISP. I find that complaining about ISP webmail or
hosting is akin to complaining about the coffee offered in the waiting
area of your local car mechanic.
Old February 6th 11, 11:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Blanchard

On 06/02/2011 14:25, Herbie wrote:
Been with them for the last six months and the service has been rock
solid with no down time.

So far I've no complaints on the service either, to be honest, although
I've not exactly been overwhelmed with the comments here and on forums
like Think Broadband. Then again, it's only been a few months since the
transistion to Opal/TalkTalk and I'm not sure how much is down to legacy
Nildram network and how much is down to being almost next door to my
local BT exchange. Part of the problem is almost certainly down to poor
communication of what's changed over the flurry of takeovers and
re-brandings on the road from Nildram to TalkTalk Business.

On Sun, 06 Feb 2011 23:02:32 +0000, Lucky13
wrote:
I've only ever had one outage caused by them in the last few years. I
have had a couple of issues with the physical phone line which is an
Openreach issue and has been referred to them in a prompt manner.

If hosting is important to you then pick some up from a 3rd party
provider not your ISP. I find that complaining about ISP webmail or
hosting is akin to complaining about the coffee offered in the waiting
area of your local car mechanic.

I agree, but this isn't a 10/month broadband package with a "free" web
hosting solution bundled in. I have a business account, complete with
my own routed IPv4 subnet and other stuff the typical consumer wouldn't
need, that is supposed to come with a higher level of service. Given
that I don't have nearly half the mandatory bits of info necessary to
open support requests to TalkTalk Business and seem to be sharing an WWW
upload server with the users from several consumer ISPs, I'm starting to
wonder about that though.

It was all so much easier when I worked for an ISP and could resolve my
own support tickets...

Andy
Old February 7th 11, 08:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

[snip]

If hosting is important to you then pick some up from a 3rd party provider
not your ISP. I find that complaining about ISP webmail or hosting is akin
to complaining about the coffee offered in the waiting area of your local
car mechanic.

The machine at my local garage produces very good coffee, thank you!

--
Graham J

Old February 8th 11, 09:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.broadband Job Justification Hearings, Graham J
chose the tried and tested strategy of:

I find that complaining about ISP webmail or hosting is akin to
complaining about the coffee offered in the waiting area of your local
car mechanic.

The machine at my local garage produces very good coffee, thank you!

Not everyone can afford to drive a Jag :-p

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
21:25:40 up 2 days, 12:14, 6 users, load average: 0.00, 0.05, 0.02