Router Recommendation Needed

Old February 7th 11, 10:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim

Default Router Recommendation Needed

On 06/02/2011 16:05, Stephen wrote:
On Thu, 03 Feb 2011 16:15:29 +0000, Java
wrote:

I think judging from the behaviour of my present Maplin one, I'm soon
to be in the market for a new router.

A 3Com 3C905B 10/100 card in a test PIII running W7 and a new Zyxel
NSA221 NAS server are both failing to pick up IPs by DHCP, but other
machines (that only have in common that they don't support IP6 - 2 x
W2k P4s with LAN on the motherboards and a Dreambox satellite tuner)
do not seem to have any trouble.

With the W7 machine, there is an LED illuminated on the NIC but:
W7 fails to pick up both IP4 and IP6 addresses via DHCP and so falls
back to Link Local addresses. Using an Ubuntu Live CD, an IP6 is
configured which I think is LL, but not IP4 address. Booting from an
emergency/imaging W98 floppy or CD the machine sometimes picks up an
IP4, more often not.

snip

try disabling ipv6 on the W7 machines - it seems to stabilise the IPv4
stack sometimes.

I have had problems with a couple of family O2
(Thomson) routers, which sometimes slow down then stop
some Internet traffic (e-mail and recently-cached web
addresses seem to be still OK). Re-booting is the
only way to restore service. I read recently that
IPv6 was a possible factor so I disabled that on a
Windows 7 PC, and am just waiting to see if the
problem has gone away.

It's not just the PCs that are affected. An iPhone
also suffers the same problems when connected.

Is there any reason ever to use IPv6 on a home
network? The last IPv4 addresses have just been
allocated.
Old February 7th 11, 07:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil W Lee

Jim considered Mon, 07 Feb 2011 09:50:00 +0000 the
perfect time to write:

wrote:

[...]

Why would that affect the situation inside a home network, where the
addresses will almost always be from the rfc1918 private ranges?
Old February 8th 11, 12:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
stephen

wrote:

[...]

in theory IPv6 is better at auto config.

Getting out of the home network is problematic since very few ISPs
(and no UK consumer ones) have IPv6 widely deployed, or set it up by
default.

likewise home routers dont commonly support IPv6, or act as a
conversion gateway or tunnel endpoint (even if they had the horsepower
to handle it fast enough)

So - using IPv6 really means using devices with both IPv4 and IPv6
stacks - and that cannot be as simple as only needing 1 version

however since lots of devices dont have an IPv6 stack - that doesnt
help much if you have anything slightly unusual or more than a year or
2 old.

with a bit of luck this will get much easier and the manufacturers
will not use IPv6 as yet another way to abondon support for old
hardware (but dont hold your breath).
--
Regards

- replace xyz with ntl
Old February 9th 11, 01:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim

wrote:

[...]

When the problems occur, a Wireshark capture showed
almost no other traffic than IPv6 packets. Then
again, that's maybe because the v4 stack had failed.
I think the router may allocate addresses from both.
Old February 10th 11, 09:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
stephen

wrote:

[...]

dig down to the LAN interfaces on machines with IPv6 on by default
(w7, Vista)
control panel - network & sharing centre

look at the bindings of various protocols to the card.
click on Ethernet - Properties

disable IPv6
clear the tick on Internet Protocol v6

no more IPv6 on that interface - repeat for any others such as
wireless.
--
Regards

- replace xyz with ntl