Speed difference between ADSL Max providers

Old February 10th 11, 06:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ant

Default Speed difference between ADSL Max providers

I've just switched from one ADSL provider (Pipex) to another (PlusNet) and
have seen quite a large drop in the speed at which my router syncs. It's
gone from a line rate of something over 5000Kbps (giving me download speeds
of around 4.5Mb) with Pipex to 2304Kbps (giving me download speeds of around
1.8Mb) with PlusNet.

Same router (BT Voyager 2110), same phone line, both ISPs using ADSL Max.
In both cases, my router reports a noise margin varying between 10 and 12dB,
a line attenuation of 49dB and output power of 17dBm. The line seems stable
both before and after the switch and the only thing that seems to have
changed is the line rate.

Both companies gave me an estimated speed of 4Mb, and I was expecting no
difference in speed from the switch. Is it normal to experience such
different speeds on the same phone line with different ISPs, or is something
wrong somewhere?

Old February 10th 11, 07:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

On 10/02/2011 18:15, Ant wrote:
[...]

Have you raised this issue with Plusnet directly?
(Theoretically, there shouldn't be any change in speed).

Best to raise a question on the help & support section at
https://portal.plus.net/index_portal.html

George
Old February 10th 11, 07:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ant

"George Weston" wrote in message
Have you raised this issue with Plusnet directly?

Only on their forum so far. They've suggested my router is the problem, but
I never had a problem with it before I switched providers.

(Theoretically, there shouldn't be any change in speed).

That's what I suspected, but it's nice to have confirmation.

Best to raise a question on the help & support section at
https://portal.plus.net/index_portal.html

If it continues I will raise a fault, but I'm having to eliminate
possibility of problems at my end first.

Thanks!

Old February 11th 11, 10:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
FooAtari

On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 18:15:19 +0000, Ant wrote:

[...]

How long has it been since you changed? It may be that the line is still
stabilising if it has been less than 10 days.

Every time the router is rebooted it has to resynch and this can
sometimes cause speeds to fluctuate for 10 days while it stabilises.

--
Organ and Blood Donation saves lives. Register Now
www.uktransplant.org www.scotblood.co.uk
Old February 11th 11, 11:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Ant wrote:
[...]

Summat wrong. I went from one to another on a different line, and
although the second line was slightly worse than the first, it was not
by much - a dB or so.

Old February 11th 11, 02:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On 10/02/2011 18:15, Ant wrote:
[...]

There shouldn't be a significant difference in the line rate. I can
lower your SNR for you if you like which may help to squeeze more speed
out of the line?

Old February 11th 11, 05:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ant

"FooAtari" wrote in message
eb.com...
On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 18:15:19 +0000, Ant wrote:

How long has it been since you changed? It may be that the line is still
stabilising if it has been less than 10 days.

Every time the router is rebooted it has to resynch and this can
sometimes cause speeds to fluctuate for 10 days while it stabilises.

I'm almost a week into the 10 day training period at the moment, and the
router has been disconnecting occasionally (I assume because of this), but
the speed hasn't been going up and down at all. It just seems to be stuck
at around 2Mb. I remember the same thing happened when I first switched to
ADSL Max from standard ADSL - the speed shot up immediately, then remained
pretty constant throughout the whole 10 day period.

I'm going to see what happens once the 10 day period is up, but I'm pretty
sure I should be getting around 4Mb as I was before, even during this
period?

Old February 11th 11, 05:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ant

"Plusnet Support Team" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 10/02/2011 18:15, Ant wrote:
Both companies gave me an estimated speed of 4Mb, and I was expecting no
difference in speed from the switch. Is it normal to experience such
different speeds on the same phone line with different ISPs, or is
something
wrong somewhere?

There shouldn't be a significant difference in the line rate. I can
lower your SNR for you if you like which may help to squeeze more speed
out of the line?

Hi Bob, thanks for your response. I might try that if the speed doesn't
improve after the 10 days is up. However, the SNR is the same as it was
before I migrated (around 11dB) and I was getting a much higher line rate
even with that.

But the way, I hope I haven't come across as having a moan at PlusNet. In
all respects other that the speed it's been a breath of fresh air compared
to Pipex. I'm just quite keen to get my speed back if it's possible!

Old February 11th 11, 10:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Gregory [UK]

On 10/02/2011 18:15, Ant wrote:
I've just switched from one ADSL provider (Pipex) to another (PlusNet)
and
have seen quite a large drop in the speed at which my router syncs. It's
gone from a line rate of something over 5000Kbps (giving me download
speeds
of around 4.5Mb) with Pipex to 2304Kbps (giving me download speeds of
around
1.8Mb) with PlusNet.

Same router (BT Voyager 2110), same phone line, both ISPs using ADSL Max.
In both cases, my router reports a noise margin varying between 10 and
12dB,
a line attenuation of 49dB and output power of 17dBm. The line seems
stable
both before and after the switch and the only thing that seems to have
changed is the line rate.

Both companies gave me an estimated speed of 4Mb, and I was expecting no
difference in speed from the switch. Is it normal to experience such
different speeds on the same phone line with different ISPs, or is
something
wrong somewhere?

There shouldn't be a significant difference in the line rate. I can
lower your SNR for you if you like which may help to squeeze more speed
out of the line?

--
|Bob Pullen Broadband Solutions for
|Support Home & Business @
|Plusnet Plc. www.plus.net

How does SNR manage to stand for Signal to Noise Margin ?

You do know it's the margin and not not the actual signal to noise ratio
don't you?

Is it also possible that before he was on reach extended ADSL and now he
isn't?

--

Brian Gregory. (In the UK)

To email me remove the letter vee.

Old February 11th 11, 11:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
FooAtari

On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 17:11:28 +0000, Ant wrote:

I'm almost a week into the 10 day training period at the moment, and the
router has been disconnecting occasionally (I assume because of this),
but the speed hasn't been going up and down at all. It just seems to be
stuck at around 2Mb. I remember the same thing happened when I first
switched to ADSL Max from standard ADSL - the speed shot up immediately,
then remained pretty constant throughout the whole 10 day period.

I'm going to see what happens once the 10 day period is up, but I'm
pretty sure I should be getting around 4Mb as I was before, even during
this period?

Yeah if it was stabilising I would have thought you would see the synch
speed increase over time.

Sometimes ISP's simply set the profile incorrectly, although they will
probably tell you to wait until the 10 days are up before doing anything.