Which exchange status checker?

Old February 18th 11, 12:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Boulding

Default Which exchange status checker?

My ISP's (Plus Net's) exchange status checker reckons my exchange--SSBOA,
Bradford on Avon in Wiltshire--will finally be enabled for WBC/21CN/ADSL2+
sometime next month. (It was long scheduled for Oct 2009--March 2010; in
April 2010 this changed to "no date set"; the March 2011 promise appeared
some time in the last few months.)

This information, says the page, was last updated on Jan 7.

Samknows has the same forecast, as does the somewhat more informative BT
Wholesale availability checker
(http://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html).

But if you ask BT via the BT Broadband or BT Infinity home pages they give a
very specific date: the 29th of *June* 2011.

Since we're dealing with an arrogant, shambolic, monopolistic, telco on the
one hand and a weak and politically corrupt regulator on the other, I
appreciate that definitive answers may be unobtainable, but how does one
obtain the best, and most up-to-date, information available?

--
Regards, Peter Boulding
(to e-mail, remove "UNSPAM")
Old February 18th 11, 12:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

On 18/02/2011 12:28, Peter Boulding wrote:

[...]

God knows. The "drive for fibre" seems to have taken priority over
interim solutions such as ADSL2+ and 21CN. Being an old cynic, I suspect
that funding has been diverted accordingly.
Personally, I can't see either of those interim solutions being brought
into service anywhere unless the kit has already been ordered and the
installation programme started.

George
Old February 18th 11, 01:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

"George Weston" wrote in message
[...]

Just another example of the IHGAFC factor in operation. In theory all the
sites are fed by the information from the BT master plan but this lags
behind the reality. Whilst I can understand George's cynicism it is more
likely that there just aren't enough pairs of hands around to do the
management's bidding. That applies to BT/Openeach's own staff and outside
contractors that are doing a lot of the work. Add that to the inevitable
delays caused by the big freeze it does not surprise me that the dates have
slipped. The fact that a specific date has been given suggest that they are
getting close the point where the reality meets the predictions but I would
not bet on it!

Peter Crosland

Old February 18th 11, 01:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Peter Crosland wrote:
[...]

I think you have probably discerned the truth.

Plans are laid, but until men are booked to do the job, there is no
certainty as to dates, and BT doesn't release every single item of
internal paperwork - someone probably goes through the websites every
month updating them.

Old February 18th 11, 03:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
[...]

Another thing is that as I recall the dates for broadband activation were
rather optimistic and it was only a few months before it happened that the
projected dates became accurate.

Peter Crosland

Old February 21st 11, 09:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 12:28:38 +0000, Peter Boulding
wrote:

[...]

AFAIK BT's information is the most reliable. I believe that PN's and
samknows get their information from there, but maybe do not update it
frequently. Maybe Bob Pullen from PlusNet would clarify this. He
often reads and posts to this ng.

According to all the checkers my exchange was updated to 21CN last
year but I have not been offerred ADSL2. Not that I am bothered
since, on a long line, I am not likely to see any improvement.
--
(\__/) M.

Old February 21st 11, 12:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Boulding

On Mon, 21 Feb 2011 09:48:07 +0000, Mark
wrote in
:

AFAIK BT's information is the most reliable. I believe that PN's and
samknows get their information from there, but maybe do not update it
frequently.

That doesn't exactly answer the question, since PN and Samknows appear to be
getting their info from BT Wholesale, while BT Retail are giving a different
answer.

Maybe Bob Pullen from PlusNet would clarify this. He
often reads and posts to this ng.

According to all the checkers my exchange was updated to 21CN last
year but I have not been offerred ADSL2.

Plus Net--via a support question--have confirmed to me that they don't
automatically offer their customers a transfer to ADSL2+, or even let them
know when it becomes available. You have to be aware that your exchange has
been enabled and ask for the transfer.

Not that I am bothered
since, on a long line, I am not likely to see any improvement.

Without going into noise margin and suchlike (it appears to be more volatile
with 21CN and therefore needs to be higher) my understanding of the simplest
rule of thumb seems to be "don't bother unless speed tests consistently show
download rates in excess of 4 Mbps".

The BT Wholesale broadband availability checker I referenced elsethread
gives attempts--rather optimistically, I suspect--to estimate your likely
line speed... when it's working... which, at the time of posting, it isn't.

Old February 22nd 11, 07:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

wrote:

My ISP's (Plus Net's) exchange status checker reckons my exchange--SSBOA,
Bradford on Avon in Wiltshire--will finally be enabled for WBC/21CN/ADSL2+
sometime next month. (It was long scheduled for Oct 2009--March 2010; in
April 2010 this changed to "no date set"; the March 2011 promise appeared
some time in the last few months.)

From memorymy local exchange was scheduled for March/April this year,
already set back a year. Just checked now and no date available. Oh
well, another 5 years and we *might* get FTTC
Old February 22nd 11, 08:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

wrote:

My ISP's (Plus Net's) exchange status checker reckons my
exchange--SSBOA,
Bradford on Avon in Wiltshire--will finally be enabled for
WBC/21CN/ADSL2+
sometime next month. (It was long scheduled for Oct 2009--March
2010; in
April 2010 this changed to "no date set"; the March 2011
promise appeared
some time in the last few months.)

From memorymy local exchange was scheduled for March/April this
year,
already set back a year. Just checked now and no date
available. Oh
well, another 5 years and we *might* get FTTC

This give you the right answer?

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/SSBOA

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old February 22nd 11, 11:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

On Tue, 22 Feb 2011 20:04:00 -0000, "Woody"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

My ISP's (Plus Net's) exchange status checker reckons my
exchange--SSBOA,
Bradford on Avon in Wiltshire--will finally be enabled for
WBC/21CN/ADSL2+
sometime next month. (It was long scheduled for Oct 2009--March
2010; in
April 2010 this changed to "no date set"; the March 2011
promise appeared
some time in the last few months.)

From memorymy local exchange was scheduled for March/April this
year,
already set back a year. Just checked now and no date
available. Oh
well, another 5 years and we *might* get FTTC

This give you the right answer?

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/SSBOA

Nope. because BOA isn't my local exchange. It might be 12 miles north
of you though going by your sig :-)