More Talktalk woes?

Old February 24th 11, 11:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeterL

Default More Talktalk woes?

Talktalk broadband went down about a week ago; the adsl light continues to
blink and doesn't go into a steady state on the router.

TT level 2 support has checked their kit into the exchange and tell me it's
reporting okay. They are now looking to send out an engineer to check
things out at my end with the usual condition that if my equipment is faulty
they'll charge 47.

I've plugged a filter straignt into the BT test socket with no change. I've
taken my router to a friends house and connected it to their broadband
service. Still no adsl activity. I've plugged my friends working router
into my broadband service and got no adsl activity. That tends to suggest
both the line in and my router have both gone down.

My question is, should you get broadband/adsl activity when you connect up
any old router to an activated account? By that, I'm saying you don't need
to enter username or password to determine connectivity? Is that right?

I'm simply trying to rule out any problems my side of the BT master socket

Many thanks for any pointers

(Talktalk is LLU'd and we pay our line rental to them. Other than one
extension socket there is nothing else this side of the master socket)

Old February 25th 11, 09:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sean Black

In message , PeterL
writes
Talktalk broadband went down about a week ago; the adsl light continues to
blink and doesn't go into a steady state on the router.

TT level 2 support has checked their kit into the exchange and tell me it's
reporting okay. They are now looking to send out an engineer to check
things out at my end with the usual condition that if my equipment is faulty
they'll charge 47.

I had the same, although a massive drop in speed rather than complete
loss of Internet. Was also told everything checked out OK from their end
and that I'd be charged 47 if the fault was found at my end.

This may sound silly, but did you confirm with them that they actually
tested the right line? With mine they told me they'd tested it and
wanted to send an engineer, they wanted to check my details, so I gave
them my name and address and they told me that wasn't right, they had a
completely different name and address down! I did ask if they had
actually tested my line or the one belonging to this other mystery
person which they assured me they had, but there's really no telling.

I've plugged a filter straignt into the BT test socket with no change. I've
taken my router to a friends house and connected it to their broadband
service. Still no adsl activity. I've plugged my friends working router
into my broadband service and got no adsl activity. That tends to suggest
both the line in and my router have both gone down.

My question is, should you get broadband/adsl activity when you connect up
any old router to an activated account? By that, I'm saying you don't need
to enter username or password to determine connectivity? Is that right?

I'm simply trying to rule out any problems my side of the BT master socket

Many thanks for any pointers

I changed my router, all the filters and cables and plugged directly
into the test socket which made no difference.

As far as I know, the ADSL light should come on whether you have a
password or not. I bought a new router and just connected that up
without configuring it first, just plugged it straight into the phone
line and the ADSL light came on.

(Talktalk is LLU'd and we pay our line rental to them. Other than one
extension socket there is nothing else this side of the master socket)

Thankfully their engineers (at least when they eventually turn up, my
one didn't turn up at all at the arranged 9-12 time and it was only when
I rang to complain that they got in touch with another one in the
vicinity and sent him out that I actually got one!) seem a bit more
competent than their "technical support" who didn't even manage to get
my name and address right when they called me.

Bottom line is, 3 weeks later, despite their engineer coming out and
checking my equipment was set up and functioning correctly and the
problem lay elsewhere, I'm still no further forward. Tech support keep
sending me emails saying the problem has been resolved and I reply that
it hasn't then they want me to go through the whole, reboot the router,
check the filters, run speed tests 3 times a day, first level support
stuff and then escalate it to second level. Despite me telling them
several times that we've already been through this whole thing and
second level support and had an engineer out who confirmed the problem
is not my end.

They really are an absolute shower of **** and the sooner my current
contract runs out and I can escape from them the better.
--
Sean Black
Old February 25th 11, 01:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

On 25/02/2011 09:00, Sean Black wrote:
In message , PeterL
writes
[...]

I think that neatly sums up the Talk Talk operation.
Having their "own engineers" speaks volumes!
Why do they do that when other ISPs will do tests with Openreach and
then if a fault is found, a "proper" engineer from Openreach will do the
business?
I'd hazard a guess that they pay their "engineers" peanuts - hence the
threatened 47 abortive work charge, whereas Openreach would charge over
100.
Pay peanuts - get monkeys...
In any case, if a fault is found in the network, it would have to go to
Openreach anyway.

George
Old February 25th 11, 08:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil W Lee

Sean Black considered Fri, 25 Feb 2011
09:00:12 +0000 the perfect time to write:

In message , PeterL
writes
[...]

You don't need to wait until the contract runs out, since they are
failing to fulfil their side of it.

I escaped from Tiscali that way, after they acquired Nildram.
It carried on working fine until I moved house (which meant a new
contract), after which the service fell apart.

I got out a mere 2 months into the new (12 month) contract.
Old February 27th 11, 11:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pendragon

On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 09:00:12 +0000, Sean Black
wrote:

In message , PeterL
writes
[...]

Why wait. Tell them (LLU) to get lost under breach of contract and go
back to BT (LINE) who will welcome you with open arms and then go to a
provider of your choice NON LLU! Mine took a week to sort out and I am
now with FAST. One of the advantages of going LLU means you can dump
them if they prove useless. Not sure TT will ever rel;ease the LLU
side for going LLU again, but after your experience the last thing you
want is another LLU bunch of cowboys, oh and PlusNet as well who also
wear the same dunces cap!
Old February 27th 11, 09:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DrTeeth

On Sun, 27 Feb 2011 11:32:15 +0000, just as I was about to take a
herb, Pendragon disturbed my reverie and wrote:

Why wait. Tell them (LLU) to get lost under breach of contract and go
back to BT (LINE) who will welcome you with open arms and then go to a
provider of your choice NON LLU

DO go LLU, but keep the line with BT. I was so glad to rid myself of
BT's profiling ADSL product. With LLU, what you sync at is what you
get.
--

Cheers,

DrT

Old February 28th 11, 09:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sean Black

In message , DrTeeth
writes
On Sun, 27 Feb 2011 11:32:15 +0000, just as I was about to take a
herb, Pendragon disturbed my reverie and wrote:

Why wait. Tell them (LLU) to get lost under breach of contract and go
back to BT (LINE) who will welcome you with open arms and then go to a
provider of your choice NON LLU

DO go LLU, but keep the line with BT. I was so glad to rid myself of
BT's profiling ADSL product. With LLU, what you sync at is what you
get.

My problem is the sync rate has dropped right down. It was syncing at
1536/280kbps for years and now it's 337/480kbps.

Would I have grounds for breaking the contract? Surely they could just
say the contract states for a line *up to* 8m they don't specify a
minimum speed?
--
Sean Black
Old March 2nd 11, 10:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Gregory [UK]

"Pendragon" wrote in message
On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 09:00:12 +0000, Sean Black
wrote:

In message , PeterL
writes
[...]

But surely if you stick with BT you have to have this idiotic business where
a small temporary problem on your line can result in them throttling your
throughput and/or increasing your noise margin for days so you go slow even
when everything is fine again.

Any problems you have with the line are almost definitely going to have to
be sorted out by BT Openreach anyway even if you are LLUed.

--

Brian Gregory. (In the UK)

To email me remove the letter vee.

Old March 3rd 11, 12:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Brian Gregory [UK] wrote:

But surely if you stick with BT you have to have this idiotic business where
a small temporary problem on your line can result in them throttling your
throughput and/or increasing your noise margin for days so you go slow even
when everything is fine again.

that can be reset,but a bad line cannot.

Any problems you have with the line are almost definitely going to have to
be sorted out by BT Openreach anyway even if you are LLUed.

exactly.
Old March 3rd 11, 07:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pendragon

On Wed, 2 Mar 2011 22:41:05 -0000, "Brian Gregory [UK]"
wrote:

"Pendragon" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 09:00:12 +0000, Sean Black
wrote:

In message , PeterL
writes
[...]

And even then only corrected when you raise a fault!

Any problems you have with the line are almost definitely going to have to
be sorted out by BT Openreach anyway even if you are LLUed.

Yes I agree but at least with a BT line (not a BT service) you cut one
real monkey out of the repair chain. If you have a decent ISP (I have
FAST) they will get on to BT pretty quick once you have run the basic
checks, then BT OPENREACH investigate PDQ though of late they seem to
be giving a time of 3 to 5 days! I am stuck at the end of a line in
the wilds and have lots of wind, rain, related problems and to be fair
to BT they have tried hard and change many miles of wires. I dread to
think what would have happened if I had been with the jerks at
TalkTalk (I have been and they are the pits) but I have no doubt my
grief would have increased tenfold. That said BT are no Saints and
often need a good kick, but it's the best we have I'm afraid.

I think the point is a decent ISP will get BT on the ball quickly and
chase them up on progress. TT don't!