No Livebox wireless connection

Old March 1st 11, 04:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bremner

Default No Livebox wireless connection

I have been with Freeserve/Wanadoo/Orange for the last 12 or so years
and around 8 years ago was sent but never used the Livebox router,
preferring a Netgear one instead. My internet access started to fail
and although it was showing connected to the router, would not connect
to the ISP. After 7 days and a small fortune with Orange helpdesk, I
was advised to connect my Livebox and see what happens. After a frantic
search in the loft I managed to find the Livebox still intact and sealed
in its box and after firing it up managed to connect to the internet via
the hardwired option. However, no matter what I do, I cannot connect
wireless despite having the capability before. It just won't accept the
26 digit security code no matter how careful I am. Our other two
laptops and an ipad will not connect either via wireless. I have just
spent day 8 with the helpdesk and am about to go mad. All they had me
do is switch off and on this and that and change the channel, but
nothing has worked. The kind woman suggested I try connecting via a
internet cafe to test the laptops wireless capability and this is
despite the fact it was fine before and so were the other three devices
that won't connect anymore. To be honest by this time I had given up
and thought there must be more sensible people out there.....and then I
find this site! Can someone please help. I know as much about
computers as I do offshore drilling.....which is zip. Please be gentle.
Thanks David

--
David Bremner
Old March 1st 11, 07:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

"David Bremner" wrote in message news

[...]

So are you saying that when you replaced the Netgear with Livebox the router was able
to connect to the internet?

What model of Netgear is it
What's a "Livebox" anyway is it a Thompson of some description?

The WPA security code of which you speak, was this pre-programmed into the "Livebox"
when you got it? have you considered there might be a discrepancy between what
was documented and what is actually programmed, if WPA2 not all network interfaces
support it, I suggest you start by turning the wireless security off completely and
seeing if you can connect, then enter your own key.

Can you log either router and see the configs?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old March 1st 11, 08:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
fred

In article , David Bremner
writes

I have been with Freeserve/Wanadoo/Orange for the last 12 or so years
and around 8 years ago was sent but never used the Livebox router,
preferring a Netgear one instead.

Very wise, I set up a pal on Orange BB some time ago and wouldn't have
dreamt of using that proprietary buggy pile of ****e that they ship.

The good news is that the test with the Livebox (using the wired network
connection) has told you that the broadband on your line is fine so you
can now walk into your local computer store (not PC World, Dixons or any
big chain) and buy a perfectly good wireless adsl modem router for
25quid or so. Enter connection details and there you go.

Vac wrap the Livebox and store until the next time you need to call
them.

Btw, are you using them as you get a free deal with an Orange contract
mobile? If not then you could probably get a deal with better and
cheaper customer service from another provider. Be Broadband are good if
your exchange is enabled and you get 12Mbps max for 14quid on their
basic offering, put your number in on their availability checker to
check but get this problem sorted out first.
--
fred
Old March 1st 11, 08:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bremner

Thanks for looking but cancel. I suppose the clue was in the fact it
was 8 years old. Updated the software/drivers or whatever it is and
changed one or two other bits after finding another post. Follwed their
advice and bingo....now posting via wireless!!!! Now where is that How
To manual on offshore drilling.
Thanks
David

--
David Bremner
Old March 2nd 11, 09:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

"David Bremner" wrote in message news

Thanks for looking but cancel. I suppose the clue was in the fact it
was 8 years old. Updated the software/drivers or whatever it is and
changed one or two other bits after finding another post. Follwed their
advice and bingo....now posting via wireless!!!! Now where is that How
To manual on offshore drilling.
Thanks
David

--
David Bremner

I wonder if the Netgear really bricked itself, or did Orange perhaps change your service
to ADSL2+ without telling you and your Netgear is not now compatible?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%