What Speed Should I Expect

Old March 2nd 11, 08:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sean Black

Default What Speed Should I Expect

As of this morning my router is showing:

Downstream attenuation 59.6dB Noise Margin 17.4dB

Upstream 30.2dB 16.5dB

What sort of speed should I expect from that?

I used to get 1536Kbps down and 280ish up. I'm currently only getting
366/474Kbps and Pipex/Talk Talk are continuing to just run me round in
circles trying to tell me there's no fault on the line.
--
Sean Black
Old March 2nd 11, 08:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
WCZ

"Sean Black" wrote in message
As of this morning my router is showing:

Downstream attenuation 59.6dB Noise Margin 17.4dB

Upstream 30.2dB 16.5dB

What sort of speed should I expect from that?

I used to get 1536Kbps down and 280ish up. I'm currently only getting
366/474Kbps and Pipex/Talk Talk are continuing to just run me round in
circles trying to tell me there's no fault on the line.
--
Sean Black

If you're connecting at 366 with a 17.4dB margin I'd expect roughly 1500
with a 6dB margin.

If you've not done it yet try plugging the router into the test socket
behind the BT master socket and see if that helps. Try a different router
too. Of course it could be that your line had a big load of noise on it for
a while and BTs systems have forced you up to an 18dB margin when connected.

--

WCZ

Old March 2nd 11, 09:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeeGee

On 02/03/11 08:00, Sean Black wrote:
As of this morning my router is showing:

Downstream attenuation 59.6dB Noise Margin 17.4dB

Upstream 30.2dB 16.5dB

What sort of speed should I expect from that?

I used to get 1536Kbps down and 280ish up. I'm currently only getting
366/474Kbps and Pipex/Talk Talk are continuing to just run me round in
circles trying to tell me there's no fault on the line.

With similar attenuation figures (59.6/36.0), I get 2200/747 with
12.0/8.2 noise margin (Plusnet/BT). I have had 3200/650 at 5.5/6.0, but
since the exchange became 21CN capable, I have not been above 2200 :-( I
currently have my modem/router set to use ADSL2 as I get between 1500
and 1700 with ADSL2+.

I had around 2000/448 with Sky/Easynet before moving to Plusnet.

Now waiting to see the pricing for FTTC as work has just started at my
local cabinet (BT predicted speeds 34000/8000 :-) )

--
PeeGee

to be removed from a computer easily."
Old March 2nd 11, 10:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Sean Black wrote:
As of this morning my router is showing:

Downstream attenuation 59.6dB Noise Margin 17.4dB

Upstream 30.2dB 16.5dB

What sort of speed should I expect from that?

I used to get 1536Kbps down and 280ish up. I'm currently only getting
366/474Kbps and Pipex/Talk Talk are continuing to just run me round in
circles trying to tell me there's no fault on the line.

Yeah. I had my line reset and its simply going downhill fast again as well.

Its been raining a LOT.

I fear the underground cables are sodden somewhere.

The line is hissy, but no crackles.

I know how hard it is to get these things traced too.

Oh Bugger!
Old March 2nd 11, 10:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sean Black

In message , PeeGee
writes
[...]

Thanks guys.

Like I said, up until recently I was getting a solid 1536Kbps, no drop
outs, steady connection, in the last 3 or 4 weeks it's dropped to where
it's at now.

I'm currently banging my head against a wall and tearing my hair out,
trying to get Pipex/Talk Talk to sort something out, but they just keep
sending me around in circles!

In case you haven't seen my other threads, a brief recap. Speed dropped
drastically, got onto Pipex, went through the basics reboot router
etc..., no change. Got a new router, new filters, new cables, no change.

Got escalated to second level support, we then went through the whole
connecting to the test socket, no improvement. Pipex sent an engineer
out, he checked that my equipment was working correctly and was set up
right, it was. He connected his own router to the test socket and found
the same slow speed, he agreed there was no problem at my end and the
problem lie elsewhere.

The line was reset and the speed improved briefly to around 1000Kbps and
then over the next few days dropped back to where it is now.

Numerous phone calls/emails to so called support and we just keep going
around in circles, can you plug the router into the test socket! No
matter how many times I try to explain to them that we've already been
through that and one of their own engineers has already been out and
done that with his own router.

Last night, we went through the same again, they say they've escalated
the fault to BT/Openreach who have checked the line and found no fault,
so they were closing the incident.

After much argument from me, saying they haven't sorted it, we were back
to "can you plug the router directly into the test socket". I then
explained we'd been through all this, "OK, what we'll do is send out an
engineer". Once again I explained we'd tried that too and the engineer
had tried the test socket with his own router and still found slow
speed. "What we'll do then is get BT to send an engineer, but if they
find a fault with your equipment they'll charge you 100."

I politely told them there was no way I'd be having that, if the BT
engineer found fault with my equipment after their own engineer had said
it was all working correctly, so either their engineer is as incompetent
as their support staff seemed to be and my equipment is at fault or the
problem is on the line, which they still won't accept because they've
checked it and they say BT have checked it. So if I don't agree to the
possibility of a 100 charge, there was nothing more they could do and
would close the incident.

At this stage I've had enough and am going to cancel my account and go
elsewhere. I just wanted to confirm that my line should support at least
the sort of speeds I was getting up until a month ago, as if I could
only expect what I'm currently getting it wouldn't be worth the hassle
of switching.
--
Sean Black
Old March 2nd 11, 01:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Sean Black wrote:
In message , PeeGee
writes
[...]

Contrast what is happening with me, right now.

Suddenly, after months of stability, synch speeds fall off a cliff.
Within days my margin goes from 9DB to 15DB.
I contact IDNET support who start with the usual 'have you etc'
I reply politely but firmly that I know what I am on about, can they
reset the margin?
They do.
Speeds shoot up, but still unstable as ****, can barely keep 2.5 stable
when 3-4 used to be in order, after 4 days back to 12dB and still crap.
Phoned IDNET. Decisions to report it as a noisy voice line, and hope
that somehow engineer will find something. (My voice line is with IDNET
as well)

IDNET not too optimistic. BT they say, don't guarantee any quality at
all. There is no way to force BT to lay in a good bit of wire if an old
bit is simply ****.

But at least IDNET are talking to me as an adult human being, not a 3
year old child.

I suspect the heavy and consistent rain we have had, is in an
underground duct and has got into already bad crimps etc, and is making
them worse.

Its a nightmare all round, as finding the place to mess with all that is
hours of work for BT. Let alone fixing it.

The only difference in my case is that at least IDNET are listening
talking sense and doing what I believe to be the best they can.

ADSL is at best a crap system that relies on cabling being somwehat
better than the ageing legacy **** that is in the ground. ADLS plus in
many ways makes this worse, as unlike a fixed rate service, if it gets a
burst of noise, it may resynch eventually at a far lower rate than it
could in fact hold, if you don't mind riding out the odd burst of
dropped/lost /corrupted packets. Simply because the dumb algos at BT
DSLAMS etc equate 'loss of synch' to ' persistent high levels of noise'
rather than in my case 'bursts of crackle'. Or in fact audible CLICKS

Old March 2nd 11, 02:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Walliker

On Mar 2, 10:43*am, Sean Black wrote:

At this stage I've had enough and am going to cancel my account and go
elsewhere. I just wanted to confirm that my line should support at least
the sort of speeds I was getting up until a month ago, as if I could
only expect what I'm currently getting it wouldn't be worth the hassle
of switching.

Have a look at:

http://www.aa.nu/broadband-trial.html

John
Old March 2nd 11, 02:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

John Walliker wrote:
On Mar 2, 10:43 am, Sean Black wrote:

At this stage I've had enough and am going to cancel my account and go
elsewhere. I just wanted to confirm that my line should support at least
the sort of speeds I was getting up until a month ago, as if I could
only expect what I'm currently getting it wouldn't be worth the hassle
of switching.

Have a look at:

http://www.aa.nu/broadband-trial.html

John

All well and good, you may get a better customer experience under fault
conditions by switching ISP, but only OpenRetch can give you a better
line, even when you are LLUed.

In these cases, what counts is the quality of support from the ISP and
their pull and general relationships with Open Retch.

Old March 2nd 11, 03:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sean Black

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
IDNET not too optimistic. BT they say, don't guarantee any quality at
all. There is no way to force BT to lay in a good bit of wire if an old
bit is simply ****.

But at least IDNET are talking to me as an adult human being, not a 3
year old child.

I suspect the heavy and consistent rain we have had, is in an
underground duct and has got into already bad crimps etc, and is
making them worse.

Its a nightmare all round, as finding the place to mess with all that
is hours of work for BT. Let alone fixing it.

The only difference in my case is that at least IDNET are listening
talking sense and doing what I believe to be the best they can.

Which is what I'm finding so frustrating/annoying!

Not to mention the fact that they seem to have the wrong details down on
my account, so when they do ring me the ask for a Mr Steve Jones at a
completely different address.

Then the other day they told me they couldn't ring me because they
hadn't got my mobile number, despite having rung me on it several times
recently and then another time said they'd been trying my mobile and
type a number that was nothing like mine, I imagine it belonged to the
Steve Jones guy and they'd been ringing him.

Not being racist, they're all foreign call centres too and half of the
time you have to constantly repeat what you're telling them as they
don't understand you the first time.
--
Sean Black
Old March 2nd 11, 05:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pendragon

On Wed, 2 Mar 2011 08:32:18 -0000, "WCZ"
wrote:

"Sean Black" wrote in message
As of this morning my router is showing:

Downstream attenuation 59.6dB Noise Margin 17.4dB

Upstream 30.2dB 16.5dB

What sort of speed should I expect from that?

I used to get 1536Kbps down and 280ish up. I'm currently only getting
366/474Kbps and Pipex/Talk Talk are continuing to just run me round in
circles trying to tell me there's no fault on the line.
--
Sean Black

If you're connecting at 366 with a 17.4dB margin I'd expect roughly 1500
with a 6dB margin.

If you've not done it yet try plugging the router into the test socket
behind the BT master socket and see if that helps. Try a different router
too. Of course it could be that your line had a big load of noise on it for
a while and BTs systems have forced you up to an 18dB margin when connected.

Get something like RouterStats to see how noisy your line is
http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm#routerstats