Netgear router - intermittent problem with FTP traffic

Old March 3rd 11, 09:48 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Mortimer

Default Netgear router - intermittent problem with FTP traffic

"Mortimer" wrote in message news:...
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
I have the same Netgear routers but the V2 and V3. I do regular FTP to
two sites and usually both at the same time. I do sometimes have
problems, but usually it will be with one site or the other only rarely
do I have problems with both at the same time - so my guess would be that
the problems are with the remote server, rather than my Netgear. If
consistently had problems with both sites at the same time, then I would
be more inclined to blame my Netgear.

I had a Netgear DG834GT which lasted for about eight years until it packed
up totally (random lights at power-on), though until then it worked
flawlessly. I've now got a DG834PN and it's mostly OK though occasionally
(perhaps once every couple of weeks) it drops the ADSL connection or else
refuses to renew IP addresses over Ethernet and wireless when a PC
re-connects, requiring rebooting. I can live with having to reboot every
so often. Certainly it seems to be better than my parents' DG834G V5.

Having looked at the problem again and upgraded the router's firmware as
Netgear advised, I'm starting to wonder whether it isn't a router problem
after all.

A Wireshark network trace shows normal request/response FTP traffic, then
the PC sending out a request (eg a DELE request to delete a file or a LIST
request to list the files in the current folder) and getting no response for
20 seconds until it gets an "error 425 unable to open a socket for data
transfer" error message from the server.

I've tried both active and passive FTP settings but it makes no difference.
Sometimes all FTP clients are affected (including command-line ftp supplied
with Windows, and WS_FTP); other times it's just FrontPage 2003 that's
affected. Sometimes everything works fine.