Wireless router as Access Point - DHCP and all that

Old March 3rd 11, 09:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

Default Wireless router as Access Point - DHCP and all that

I've decided to pension off my elderly 3Com ADSL Wireless Modem/Router
because it crashes and needs re-booting too often for comfort. All my
regular computers are hard-wired anyway, so I don't need wireless on a
day to day basis, and have reverted to using a wires-only router.

However, I occasionally have house guests who bring laptops with them
and appreciate a wireless connection. So I'm proposing to fire up the
3Com jobbie on those occasions, and connect it by ethernet to the
principal router so that it just acts as a wireless access point. I
shall give it a fixed IP address - in the same subnet as the rest of my
network, but outside the range of addresses dished out by the DHCP
server in my principal router.

The question is, what should I do about DHCP on the 3Com? If I switch it
off, will wireless devices which connect to it be able to get an IP
address from my principal router? If not, should I switch it on, and let
it dish out addresses in the same subnet but different range from the
principal router? If I do that, will having two active DHCP servers
cause confusion?

Advice please.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old March 3rd 11, 10:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Gregory [UK]

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
[...]

I've not done this myself but I'm told you need to switch off the DHCP on
the router that's just acting as the Wireless Access Point.

Also I believe the bit you wrote about giving it a fixed IP isn't relevant
to it's functioning as an access point as such, but will allow access to
configure it when necessary.

--

Brian Gregory. (In the UK)

To email me remove the letter vee.

Old March 3rd 11, 11:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Theo Markettos

Roger Mills wrote:
The question is, what should I do about DHCP on the 3Com? If I switch it
off, will wireless devices which connect to it be able to get an IP
address from my principal router? If not, should I switch it on, and let
it dish out addresses in the same subnet but different range from the
principal router? If I do that, will having two active DHCP servers
cause confusion?

I set up a network with 4 routers, one 'master' and three 'slaves', cabled
up by ethernet. The slaves had DHCP turned off and were set up as you say.
The master was running the upstream connection and the DHCP server. For
simplicity each router was set up with a different SSID, as they were all
from different manufacturers (is it easy to get heterogenous APs on the same
SSID, with roaming between?). The main interest was internet access: I
wasn't expecting any communication between clients.

It worked fine. An advantage is that you can 'see' if the master router is
down - Windows will say that it can't make a connection (ie can't get an IP
address). If you have each running DHCP themselves, you can get
connectivity to the local router but it isn't immediately obvious that the
gateway is down. This isn't so helpful if you might want to be able to
communicate between clients when the upstream router is down.

Theo
Old March 4th 11, 04:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Theo Markettos wrote:
Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

worse than that, the slave router will advertise itself as a default
route. Which it isn't.

It's merely acting as a WiFi BRIDGE.

If it does that successfully, inter machine traffic should not be affected.

Theo

Old March 4th 11, 10:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ghostrecon

On Thu, 03 Mar 2011 21:26:28 +0000, Roger Mills wrote:

[...]

Have a similar situation - I have 2 subnets though and on each only one
DCHP server running but all my routers have fixed i/p address so I can look
at their setups (and connections) can be useful at times to diagnose
problems
--
(•.(*•. .•*).•)
.••. Nik .••.
Old March 4th 11, 01:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

[...]

Switch off DHCP in the 3com router. Make sure that the 3com router is not
using an IP address that conflicts with anything else on your network, but
is in the same subnet.

I do this with two routers from Speedtouch and Netgear. In my case both
routers have WiFi. I use the same SSID but different channels.

--
Michael Chare

Old March 4th 11, 04:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

On 04/03/2011 13:10, Michael Chare wrote:
[...]

Many thanks for all the replies. As implied in my question, I was hoping
that it would work if I switched off DHCP on the 3Com Router.

I've now done it, and it *does*!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Old March 4th 11, 04:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
On 04/03/2011 13:10, Michael Chare wrote:

Many thanks for all the replies. As implied in my question, I was hoping
that it would work if I switched off DHCP on the 3Com Router.

Like I said you should make sure that you don't have two devices (routers)
trying to use the same IP address.
Routers often come with addresses like 192.168.0.1

--
Michael Chare

Old March 5th 11, 09:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.broadband Job Justification Hearings, Theo
Markettos chose the tried and tested strategy of:

I set up a network with 4 routers, one 'master' and three 'slaves', cabled
up by ethernet. The slaves had DHCP turned off and were set up as you
say. The master was running the upstream connection and the DHCP server.
For simplicity each router was set up with a different SSID, as they were
all from different manufacturers (is it easy to get heterogenous APs on
the same SSID, with roaming between?).

Yes, shouldn't be a problem, but it's the client that decides when to roam
from one AP to the next, not the APs.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
21:12:37 up 1 day, 1:36, 9 users, load average: 0.09, 0.19, 0.20

Old March 5th 11, 11:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger Mills

On 04/03/2011 16:54, Michael Chare wrote:
"Roger Mills" wrote in message
On 04/03/2011 13:10, Michael Chare wrote:

Many thanks for all the replies. As implied in my question, I was
hoping that it would work if I switched off DHCP on the 3Com Router.

Like I said you should make sure that you don't have two devices
(routers) trying to use the same IP address.
Routers often come with addresses like 192.168.0.1

Yes,I've done that too.

The new wired (Netgear) router defaults to 192.168.0.1 but the rest of
my network is in the 192.168.1.x (rather than 0.x) subnet, so I've
changed it to 192.168.1.110 and set the old 3Com jobbie to 192.168.1.100

I also have a VoIP ATA with a fixed IP address of 192.168.1.50 - and
I've set the DHCP server on the Netgear to dish out addresses between
192.168.1.80 and 90 - so there won't be any conflicts.
--
Cheers,
Roger