BT Broadband Availability Checker (FTTC)

Old March 5th 11, 11:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
jbp

Default BT Broadband Availability Checker (FTTC)

According to the BT Checker, date for my line to have FTTC option have
slipped from September 2010 to December 2010 to March 2011 to June 2011.

This morning I noticed that the date had been brought forward to 16 March
2011. BT did lay new fibre circuits into the cable chambers in the road
outside a couple of months ago, but my local cabinet 200 yards away has not
had an FTTC cabinet added next to it and no sign of any nearby tell-tale
outline paint markings on the ground.

I checked with BT Sales just now and they're not able to take an FTTC order
for my line at the moment. I'm just wondering what the likelihood of them
doing the necessary work between now and 16 March would be? Not holding my
breath.

Or perhaps the plan is to link my cabinet to the next nearest recently
installed FTTC cabinet which is about 700 feet away from it as the crow
flies?

Old March 5th 11, 12:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Scott

On Sat, 5 Mar 2011 11:22:07 -0000, "jbp" wrote:

[...]

Try Zen Internet. They offer the service too and were extremely
helpful.
Old March 7th 11, 11:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
jbp

Scott wrote:
[...]

Spoke with Zen today and you're right, they were very helpful. Does look
like my local cabinet may be connected to an FTTC cabinet 700 feet away from
it. Just need to weigh up whether the increase in upload speed from 11+Mbps
to 36Mbps warrants an increase of 26pm plus activation fee of 90. To be
honest, probably not just now, but would definitely take them into
consideration though should our needs change.

Old March 7th 11, 11:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
jbp

Scott wrote:
[...]

it. Just need to weigh up whether the increase in download speed from

Old March 11th 11, 07:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

"jbp" wrote in message
Scott wrote:
[...]

Always remembering that there is only capacity for 96 circuits.

Old March 12th 11, 08:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

"kraftee" kraftee:b&e-cottee.me.uk wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

Surely the limitations on download speed will be contention and
any traffic shaping applied? It is nice that it can actually get
to you so fast but it has to be coughed up by the system first.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old March 12th 11, 09:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

"jbp" wrote in message
Scott wrote:
[...]

I think you did not understand....

There is only 96 connection available from one FTTC 'cab'. It has nothing
to do with contention and all to do with physical equipm,ent.

Old March 12th 11, 03:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DrTeeth

On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 09:14:19 -0000, just as I was about to take a
herb, "kraftee" kraftee:b&e-cottee.me.uk disturbed my reverie and
wrote:

There is only 96 connection available from one FTTC 'cab'. It has nothing
to do with contention and all to do with physical equipm,ent.

In another forum, somebody said the limit was 288.
--

Cheers,

DrT

Old March 12th 11, 04:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

wrote:

There is only 96 connection available from one FTTC 'cab'. It has nothing
to do with contention and all to do with physical equipm,ent.

In another forum, somebody said the limit was 288.

Are all FTTC cabinets the same size, what's the typical capacity of a POTS
cabinet ? What's the ratio of FTTC to POTS capacity ?

--
Mark

www.paras.org.uk
Old March 12th 11, 11:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

kraftee wrote:

There is only 96 connection available from one FTTC 'cab'. It has
nothing to do with contention and all to do with physical equipm,ent.

It's also amazing how close the FTTC cabs are to the exchange in some
areas.
Two I know of are in Brentwood where there is one in the main road
literally about 200ft from the main (huge) exchange and the other in
Ealing where there is one just across the Green from the main Ealing
Exchange. Again only a few hundred yards away.

Surely this can't be worth it as the extra line-loss in diverting pairs
from the existing cab to the FTTC cab and back (where they aren't
co-sited)would be comparable with the line-loss on a direct path from
the exchange?
Is it also perhaps a way of bypassing LLU pressure in the exchange and
getting LLU Broadband providers kit out and their jumpers on the MDF?

I smell a very big RAT

Is it just an advertising gimmick?

They also seem to have underestimated capacity in the FTTC cabs as near
me (Walworth Exchange) there are now 2 side-by-side.

Mike