Virgin Media to apply more throttling

Old March 8th 11, 02:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
FooAtari

Default Virgin Media to apply more throttling

Something to watch out if you are on Virgin Media

"UK Internet Service Provider (ISP) Virgin Media has announced that it
will begin throttling both P2P and Newsgroup traffic at "Peak" times it
has emerged.

The ISP which advertises itself as "The fastest in the UK" and offers
speeds of up to 100mb has said it needs to throttle file sharing traffic
to prevent slowness in other areas such as online multiplayer gaming."

http://www.unitethecows.com/content/...ns-throttling-
p2p-traffic.html

Fastest or not, don't think I would go near them with the FUP they have
in place. Although bit of a moot point as not available up here anyway!

--
Organ and Blood Donation saves lives. Register Now
www.uktransplant.org www.scotblood.co.uk
Old March 8th 11, 07:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Scott

On 08 Mar 2011 14:23:25 GMT, FooAtari
wrote:

Something to watch out if you are on Virgin Media

"UK Internet Service Provider (ISP) Virgin Media has announced that it
will begin throttling both P2P and Newsgroup traffic at "Peak" times it
has emerged.

The ISP which advertises itself as "The fastest in the UK" and offers
speeds of up to 100mb has said it needs to throttle file sharing traffic
to prevent slowness in other areas such as online multiplayer gaming."

http://www.unitethecows.com/content/...ns-throttling-
p2p-traffic.html

Fastest or not, don't think I would go near them with the FUP they have
in place. Although bit of a moot point as not available up here anyway!

Glad I Sugared them (Virgin Media, you're fired').
Old March 9th 11, 09:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Woody

wrote:

[...]

Always amazes me that people read what they want to read.

Virgin have announced that they will be limiting uploads during
peak times. That is the new bit - they have been traffic shaping
downloads for ages. And again I suspect they have not explained
it all as reading between the lines I think the limits are being
put on large uploads to newsgroups which suggests binary groups.
I don't see how they could have problems with the odd few K of
ASCII such as we poor souls emit?

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Old March 9th 11, 09:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hugh Jampton

On Wed, 9 Mar 2011 21:00:51 -0000, Woody wrote:

Always amazes me that people read what they want to read.

Virgin have announced that they will be limiting uploads during
peak times. That is the new bit - they have been traffic shaping
downloads for ages. And again I suspect they have not explained
it all as reading between the lines I think the limits are being
put on large uploads to newsgroups which suggests binary groups.
I don't see how they could have problems with the odd few K of
ASCII such as we poor souls emit?

Been with Virgin for 10 years and never had problems with text newsgroups.

Until this week !!! Big problems since Saturday !! *Very* slow and often
unable to connect - not good.

Unless it improves I will have to leave Virgin. I'm not paying £20 pm for
this nonsense :-(
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton
Old March 10th 11, 08:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geo

On Wed, 9 Mar 2011 21:00:51 -0000, "Woody" wrote:

snip
And again I suspect they have not explained
it all as reading between the lines I think the limits are being
put on large uploads to newsgroups which suggests binary groups.
I don't see how they could have problems with the odd few K of
ASCII such as we poor souls emit?

I can assure you that at "peak" times it can take 5 to 15 seconds to download a
single text post on VM.

--
Geo
Old March 10th 11, 11:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
River Tarnell

In article ,
Geo wrote:
I can assure you that at "peak" times it can take 5 to 15 seconds to download a
single text post on VM.

A typical text post is around 5KB (or less), so this would suggest
Virgin are rate-limiting it to 1KB/s. Even for them, that seems
somewhat excessive.

- river.

Old March 10th 11, 02:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geo

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 11:33:04 +0000 (GMT), River Tarnell
wrote:

In article ,
Geo wrote:
I can assure you that at "peak" times it can take 5 to 15 seconds to download a
single text post on VM.

A typical text post is around 5KB (or less), so this would suggest
Virgin are rate-limiting it to 1KB/s. Even for them, that seems
somewhat excessive.

I think they pick a fixed total bandwidth for P2P + USENET so as more people
(try) to use it each individual receives less.
And yes - it is way down on dial-up speeds.

--
Geo
Old March 10th 11, 02:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick

On 10/03/2011 14:40, Geo wrote:
On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 11:33:04 +0000 (GMT), River Tarnell
wrote:

In article ,
Geo wrote:
I can assure you that at "peak" times it can take 5 to 15 seconds to download a
single text post on VM.

A typical text post is around 5KB (or less), so this would suggest
Virgin are rate-limiting it to 1KB/s. Even for them, that seems
somewhat excessive.

I think they pick a fixed total bandwidth for P2P + USENET so as more people
(try) to use it each individual receives less.
And yes - it is way down on dial-up speeds.

That doesn't sound right to me.

Are you sure they aren't throttling by delaying connections rather than
limiting bandwidth.
Old March 10th 11, 04:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Nick wrote:
On 10/03/2011 14:40, Geo wrote:
On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 11:33:04 +0000 (GMT), River Tarnell
wrote:

In article ,
Geo wrote:
I can assure you that at "peak" times it can take 5 to 15 seconds to download a
single text post on VM.
A typical text post is around 5KB (or less), so this would suggest
Virgin are rate-limiting it to 1KB/s. Even for them, that seems
somewhat excessive.

I think they pick a fixed total bandwidth for P2P + USENET so as more people
(try) to use it each individual receives less.
And yes - it is way down on dial-up speeds.

That doesn't sound right to me.

Are you sure they aren't throttling by delaying connections rather than
limiting bandwidth.

It amounts to the same thing. The only difference being if you delay the
SYN packets or all the packets with NNTP port addresses.

Delay = throttling in TCP/IP land. Speed is (TCP window size over
delay). When operating below the raw speed capacity of any given link.

That's how TCP adjusts to slow links: the data is buffered into the
link, and emerges delayed..after a bit, the lack of response from the
far end causes the sending machines to stall, buffer and wait..

Throttling introduces selective buffering and delay to particular packet
types.

Old March 10th 11, 07:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Geo

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 14:49:26 +0000, Nick wrote:

On 10/03/2011 14:40, Geo wrote:
On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 11:33:04 +0000 (GMT), River Tarnell
wrote:

In article ,
Geo wrote:
I can assure you that at "peak" times it can take 5 to 15 seconds to download a
single text post on VM.

A typical text post is around 5KB (or less), so this would suggest
Virgin are rate-limiting it to 1KB/s. Even for them, that seems
somewhat excessive.

I think they pick a fixed total bandwidth for P2P + USENET so as more people
(try) to use it each individual receives less.
And yes - it is way down on dial-up speeds.

That doesn't sound right to me.

Are you sure they aren't throttling by delaying connections rather than
limiting bandwidth.

This is how their initial press release describes their USENET throttling:-

"designed to adapt to network conditions to ensure time-sensitive and
interactive uses - such as surfing or streaming high-definition video - remain
unhindered by non-time-sensitive traffic such as peer-to-peer and newsgroup
activity, reducing the possibility of annoying buffering that can occur when
trying to watch TV online at peak times. Using smart network monitoring, the
system will reserve at least 75 per cent of network resources for time-sensitive
traffic, "

I read that as we get 25% and the TV viewers get 75%.

--
Geo