Satellite broadband

Old March 8th 11, 05:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Default Satellite broadband

A while ago somebody here was complaining about the lack of ADSL for some
new business premises just north of Norwich.

Did you resolve the problem?

Did you investigate whether a satellite solution was feasible?

--
Graham J

Old March 9th 11, 02:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Graham J wrote:
A while ago somebody here was complaining about the lack of ADSL for some
new business premises just north of Norwich.

Did you resolve the problem?

No.

Did you investigate whether a satellite solution was feasible?

Feasible yes, costwise, forget it.

Currently running with a 3G dongle up a rather long pole and just about
getting 50-100K.

But its cheaper than a modem.

About 4% of Norfolk places cant get broadband.
Old March 9th 11, 09:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Graham J wrote:
A while ago somebody here was complaining about the lack of ADSL for some
new business premises just north of Norwich.

Did you resolve the problem?

No.

Did you investigate whether a satellite solution was feasible?

Feasible yes, costwise, forget it.

Currently running with a 3G dongle up a rather long pole and just about
getting 50-100K.

But its cheaper than a modem.

About 4% of Norfolk places can't get broadband.

Understood. I'm about to investigate
http://www.tariam.co.uk/products/tooway/ and will report back Costs on the
face of it don't look too bad for a business need. VPN capability looks
iffy.

-- Graham J

Old March 9th 11, 10:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Graham J wrote:
Graham J wrote:
A while ago somebody here was complaining about the lack of ADSL for some
new business premises just north of Norwich.

Did you resolve the problem?

No.

Did you investigate whether a satellite solution was feasible?

Feasible yes, costwise, forget it.

Currently running with a 3G dongle up a rather long pole and just about
getting 50-100K.

But its cheaper than a modem.

About 4% of Norfolk places can't get broadband.

Understood. I'm about to investigate
http://www.tariam.co.uk/products/tooway/ and will report back Costs on the
face of it don't look too bad for a business need. VPN capability looks
iffy.

all the non wired options are pretty iffy to be fair. On many things
like fixed IP addresses. And whether they sit behind mandatory proxies.

We have been forced to relocate the server elsewhere so it is always
accessible, and run just clients from the premises.

TBH if there had been any sort of money available - this is a very very
cottage industry - I would have run a fiber in.. and sold bandwidth off
it to other people nearby. Probably via wifi links.

-- Graham J

Old March 9th 11, 12:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

Graham J wrote:
Graham J wrote:
[...]

It's been suggested that Sky could provide a broadband service via their
satellite - but in my experience Sky requires a landline connection of some
sort for the upload path. Does anybody know of any exception to this? If
so, how is the upload achieved?

--
Graham J

Old March 9th 11, 01:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Graham J wrote:
Graham J wrote:
Graham J wrote:
[...]

I assume you throw the packets back up into the sky.. but Sky doing
broadband over a TV satellite? I don't think so.

Maybe your informant was thinking of this

http://www.skymarket.co.uk/interneta...ebroadband.php

Old March 9th 11, 03:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
brightside S9

On Wed, 9 Mar 2011 12:34:59 -0000, "Graham J" [email protected] wrote:

Graham J wrote:
Graham J wrote:
[...]

It seems that Avonline do. See
http://www.avonlinebroadband.co.uk/packages_and_costs/

From the FAQ.
Can I Install it myself?

No you canít (unless you are a trained and accredited VSAT
installation engineer). Because Satellite Broadband not only receives
data from a satellite (much like Sky) but transmits data back to the
satellite, it is crucial that your system is installed by a trained
and accredited satellite broadband technician.

--
brightside S9
Old March 9th 11, 05:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Graham J wrote:
Graham J wrote:
[...]

From the FAQ.
Can I Install it myself?

No you can't (unless you are a trained and accredited VSAT
installation engineer). Because Satellite Broadband not only receives
data from a satellite (much like Sky) but transmits data back to the
satellite, it is crucial that your system is installed by a trained
and accredited satellite broadband technician.

Or anyone with a signal strength meter and a bit of nous who knows
roughly where the satellite is..

Old March 10th 11, 12:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
stephen

Graham J wrote:
Graham J wrote:
[...]

From the FAQ.
Can I Install it myself?

No you canít (unless you are a trained and accredited VSAT
installation engineer). Because Satellite Broadband not only receives
data from a satellite (much like Sky) but transmits data back to the
satellite, it is crucial that your system is installed by a trained
and accredited satellite broadband technician.

Or anyone with a signal strength meter and a bit of nous who knows
roughly where the satellite is..

a bit more disruptive when you are sending a few watts RF skyward.

with the uplink they care about which frequency you transmit on, and
exactly which satellite you point it at - you can disrupt stuff for
others rather than just your incoming signal
--
Regards

- replace xyz with ntl
Old March 10th 11, 09:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
brightside S9

Graham J wrote:
Graham J wrote:
[...]

From the FAQ.
Can I Install it myself?

No you canít (unless you are a trained and accredited VSAT
installation engineer). Because Satellite Broadband not only receives
data from a satellite (much like Sky) but transmits data back to the
satellite, it is crucial that your system is installed by a trained
and accredited satellite broadband technician.

Or anyone with a signal strength meter and a bit of nous who knows
roughly where the satellite is..

The FAQ quote was to show that there in writing it says "data is
transmitted back to the satellite" , and nothing more.

--
brightside S9