Broadband fault diagnosis process

Old March 10th 11, 12:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeterL

Default Broadband fault diagnosis process

My broadband service has been down almost a month as I wait for the provider
to find and fix the fault. I'm LLU'd and have handed over line rental to
the same outfit. I wonder if anyone can answer a few questions:

- would a cease order prevent a current provider from carrying out full
investigations of a broadband fault?

- where can I find details of the full investigation process a provider
would follow in trying to find a fault?

- does the provider really need the modem/router plugged into the test
socket (via a filter) and powered up all the time?

The router doesn't sync, and I've tried 5 different ones with several
replacement filters and adsl cables.

Thanks

Old March 10th 11, 07:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sultan of Usenet

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 00:08:09 +0100, PeterL made love to the words:

My broadband service has been down almost a month as I wait for the
provider to find and fix the fault. I'm LLU'd and have handed over line
rental to the same outfit. I wonder if anyone can answer a few
questions:

- would a cease order prevent a current provider from carrying out full
investigations of a broadband fault?

- where can I find details of the full investigation process a provider
would follow in trying to find a fault?

- does the provider really need the modem/router plugged into the test
socket (via a filter) and powered up all the time?

The router doesn't sync, and I've tried 5 different ones with several
replacement filters and adsl cables.

Thanks

Who is the provider?

Old March 10th 11, 10:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On 09/03/2011 23:08, PeterL wrote:
My broadband service has been down almost a month as I wait for the provider
to find and fix the fault. I'm LLU'd and have handed over line rental to
the same outfit. I wonder if anyone can answer a few questions:

- would a cease order prevent a current provider from carrying out full
investigations of a broadband fault?

I would imagine so. Whilst we use BT Wholesale, a pending cease order
would certainly cause problems for Plusnet when investigating/raising a
fault.

- where can I find details of the full investigation process a provider
would follow in trying to find a fault?

Ask them?

- does the provider really need the modem/router plugged into the test
socket (via a filter) and powered up all the time?

Powered up yes, as it saves confusing/misleading test results being
returned when your kit is off.

Plugging into the test socket helps irradicate the potential for your
internal wiring to be interfering with your DSL signal. However if you
can't get sync at all then I'd say it's unecessary in your case as long
as you've at least tried it for a moderate amount of time.

The router doesn't sync, and I've tried 5 different ones with several
replacement filters and adsl cables.

That pretty much rules the router out as being the cause of the problem
then!

Old March 10th 11, 11:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

"PeterL" wrote in message
My broadband service has been down almost a month as I wait for the
provider to find and fix the fault. I'm LLU'd and have handed over line
rental to the same outfit. I wonder if anyone can answer a few questions:

- would a cease order prevent a current provider from carrying out full
investigations of a broadband fault?

- where can I find details of the full investigation process a provider
would follow in trying to find a fault?

- does the provider really need the modem/router plugged into the test
socket (via a filter) and powered up all the time?

The router doesn't sync, and I've tried 5 different ones with several
replacement filters and adsl cables.

A good ADSL service provider will handle all this for you. If your current
provider can't answer all your questions, change to a provider that can.

Ask now for a migration code and move the service to the likes of Andrews &
Arnold or Zen Internet.

--
Graham J

Old March 10th 11, 12:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

wrote:

My broadband service has been down almost a month as I wait for the provider
to find and fix the fault. I'm LLU'd and have handed over line rental to
the same outfit. I wonder if anyone can answer a few questions:

- would a cease order prevent a current provider from carrying out full
investigations of a broadband fault?

- where can I find details of the full investigation process a provider
would follow in trying to find a fault?

- does the provider really need the modem/router plugged into the test
socket (via a filter) and powered up all the time?

The router doesn't sync, and I've tried 5 different ones with several
replacement filters and adsl cables.

Does your phone work?

Who is your current ISP and who are you moving to?
--
(\__/) M.

Old March 10th 11, 07:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeterL

A good ADSL service provider will handle all this for you. If your
current provider can't answer all your questions, change to a provider
that can.

I had a cease on the line to take the line rental back to BT. However, I
couldn't be sure that the unresolved fault on the line would not become a
major problem; why would another provider would want to inherit a faulty
line. Consequently, I cancelled the cease to allow the provider to fully
investigate and reading Bob Pullens post above, this would seem to have been
the right thing to do.

Or have I got that wrong?

this thread to name the provider involved?

To Bob, how long would it take Plusnet to resolve a fault involving loss of
broadband connection, and what's your approach?

(Incidently, voice calls can still be made, although quality of service is
poor if the router is powered up.)

Thanks

Old March 10th 11, 09:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

"PeterL" wrote in message
[...]

Other suppliers (typically A&A) actually advertise that they will resolve
problems of faulty lines if your bring your account to them.

If there is more audible noise when the router is powered up that suggests
either a faulty microfilter or a diode-like junction somewhere along the
line - or both. Openreach won't attempt to faultfind the diode-like
junction - they will simply swap your line with another to move the fault
away.

--
Graham J

Old March 10th 11, 11:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On 10/03/2011 18:30, PeterL wrote:
To Bob, how long would it take Plusnet to resolve a fault involving loss of
broadband connection, and what's your approach?

Depends on the nature of the fault TBH but assuming a genuine line fault
(and assuming repeat engineer visists aren't required) it typically
takes about a week to resolve.

Happy to oversee any faults that anybody may have with us, and where I
do the process is admittedly accelerated somewhat. The main hinderances
being the Wholesale systems/processes we're reliant on.

Old March 11th 11, 03:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeterL

I've just got back in to find the router syncing as mysteriously as it broke
a few weeks back. The provider hasn't done anything, they say line and
network testing is showing all clear. These are the stats. Do they look
okay?

Mode: G.Dmt.BisPlusAuto
Bit Rate: 2003Kbps - 511Kbps
Cell Rate: 4724 - 1205
SNR Margin: 10.0dB - 9.0 dB
Line Attenuation: 46.5 dB - 36.5 dB

What's the reason for losing the sync simply by swapping over the router?
If I want to try this, is there anything to configure in the setup to
mimimise the risk?

Thanks

Old March 11th 11, 04:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

"PeterL" wrote in message
I've just got back in to find the router syncing as mysteriously as it
broke a few weeks back. The provider hasn't done anything, they say line
and network testing is showing all clear. These are the stats. Do they
look okay?

Mode: G.Dmt.BisPlusAuto
Bit Rate: 2003Kbps - 511Kbps
Cell Rate: 4724 - 1205
SNR Margin: 10.0dB - 9.0 dB
Line Attenuation: 46.5 dB - 36.5 dB

What's the reason for losing the sync simply by swapping over the router?
If I want to try this, is there anything to configure in the setup to
mimimise the risk?

Synchronisation is achieved between the router and the DSLAM (or equivalent)
at the exchange. If you swap the router of course sync is lost, but the new
router should re-synchronise within about a minute of being connected.

If it takes longer, or loses sync more than once per day (unless during a
thunderstorm), then complain to your ISP. If they don't take you seriously,
change ISP.

--
Graham J