A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) (uk.comp.home-networking) Discussion of all aspects of computer networking in the home, regardless of the platforms, software, topologies and protocols used. Examples of topics include recommendations for hardware or suppliers (e.g. NICs and cabling), protocols, servers, and specific network software. Advertising is not allowed.

Mixing netwok speeds



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old March 11th 11, 05:34 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
arthurh
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8
Default Mixing netwok speeds

I have a standard 10/100 network router with four wired PC's

Two of the PC's have 1000 ports, and I would like to replace the
router with a 10/100/1000 one so that they can talk to each other
faster. I will of course have to replace their cables with a suitable
spec.

What are the implications for network speeds if two of the PC's want
to connect to the router at 1000 and two at 100? One of the fast PC's
is used partly as a file server. What happens if one PC wants to
connect to it at 100 and another at 1000, assuming they are looking at
different files?


  #2  
Old March 11th 11, 06:29 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Bernard Peek
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 202
Default Mixing netwok speeds

On 11/03/11 17:34, arthurh wrote:
I have a standard 10/100 network router with four wired PC's

Two of the PC's have 1000 ports, and I would like to replace the
router with a 10/100/1000 one so that they can talk to each other
faster. I will of course have to replace their cables with a suitable
spec.


You may not need to replace the cables. If the new router has Gigabit
ports then any Gigabit devices connected to it will work at full speed
when communicating with each other, and slower devices on other ports
won't affect that. Any 100Mbit device will only work at the lower speed
but that won't affect other devices connected. You can mix and match
100Mb and Gigabit devices in almost any permutation. All you need to
ensure is that any Gigabit devices are connected to Gigabit ports -
either on a router or a separate switch.

You might consider an alternative configuration. Keep the existing
router and add a Gigabit switch costing around 20. You can then leave
any 100Mbit and wireless devices connected to the router and connect the
Gigabit devices to the new switch. Connect a patch cable between the
router and the switch. This configuration will give you a more flexible
configuration at a lower price.




--
Bernard Peek

  #3  
Old March 11th 11, 06:54 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,379
Default Mixing netwok speeds

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 18:29:44 +0000
Bernard Peek wrote:

You might consider an alternative configuration. Keep the existing
router and add a Gigabit switch costing around 20. You can then leave
any 100Mbit and wireless devices connected to the router and connect
the Gigabit devices to the new switch. Connect a patch cable between
the router and the switch. This configuration will give you a more
flexible configuration at a lower price.


What he said.

  #4  
Old March 11th 11, 07:48 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
arthurh
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8
Default Mixing netwok speeds

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 18:54:38 +0000, Rob Morley
wrote:

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 18:29:44 +0000
Bernard Peek wrote:

You might consider an alternative configuration. Keep the existing
router and add a Gigabit switch costing around 20. You can then leave
any 100Mbit and wireless devices connected to the router and connect
the Gigabit devices to the new switch. Connect a patch cable between
the router and the switch. This configuration will give you a more
flexible configuration at a lower price.


What he said.


Thank you both for that advice. I'll look into that option.

One of the PC's has a 5metre cable to the router and the other 8metres
(5+3). The existing cables are cheap CAT5e. Will they be satisfactory
at the higher speed?

  #5  
Old March 11th 11, 08:18 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,379
Default Mixing netwok speeds

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 19:48:35 +0000
arthurh wrote:

One of the PC's has a 5metre cable to the router and the other 8metres
(5+3). The existing cables are cheap CAT5e. Will they be satisfactory
at the higher speed?

Any old Cat5e usually seems to work just fine for gigabit, it costs you
nothing to try the existing installation. :-)

  #6  
Old March 11th 11, 10:23 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
arthurh
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8
Default Mixing netwok speeds

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 20:18:35 +0000, Rob Morley
wrote:

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 19:48:35 +0000
arthurh wrote:

One of the PC's has a 5metre cable to the router and the other 8metres
(5+3). The existing cables are cheap CAT5e. Will they be satisfactory
at the higher speed?

Any old Cat5e usually seems to work just fine for gigabit, it costs you
nothing to try the existing installation. :-)


Thank you. I'll try that first.
  #7  
Old March 12th 11, 02:31 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
John Weston
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 108
Default Mixing netwok speeds

In article [email protected], "Rob Morley" wrote:


Any old Cat5e usually seems to work just fine for gigabit, it costs you
nothing to try the existing installation. :-)


Just make sure they have all connectors wired and are preferably
straight-through (1-1, 2-2, etc.). Some cheaper cables have only 2-pairs
connected and these won't work at 100Mbps.

As an aside, I find it simpler to fit a Gb switch - get one larger than
your current router. :-) Run all LAN cabling through this, with a local
connection to the current 10/100Mb modem/router. Hence all LAN sockets
have Gb potential but will auto-set to a lower speed as necessary. You
can locate any LAN devices anywhere you have a wired socket without
bothering whether it connects to the Gb switch or the 10/100Mb router.

--
John W

  #8  
Old March 12th 11, 02:57 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Bernard Peek
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 202
Default Mixing netwok speeds

On 12/03/11 14:31, John Weston wrote:
In article [email protected], "Rob Morley" wrote:


Any old Cat5e usually seems to work just fine for gigabit, it costs you
nothing to try the existing installation. :-)


Just make sure they have all connectors wired and are preferably
straight-through (1-1, 2-2, etc.). Some cheaper cables have only 2-pairs
connected and these won't work at 100Mbps.

As an aside, I find it simpler to fit a Gb switch - get one larger than
your current router. :-) Run all LAN cabling through this, with a local
connection to the current 10/100Mb modem/router. Hence all LAN sockets
have Gb potential but will auto-set to a lower speed as necessary. You
can locate any LAN devices anywhere you have a wired socket without
bothering whether it connects to the Gb switch or the 10/100Mb router.

You can gain some flexibility by adding the switch. You can have two
different places where you can plug in devices, with just one cable
between those points. Of course at the router end you will only beable
to get a 100Mb connection. At the switch end you will be able to use
100Mb or Gigabit as you choose.

--
Bernard Peek

  #9  
Old March 12th 11, 04:08 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,379
Default Mixing netwok speeds

On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 14:31:57 -0000
John Weston wrote:

In article [email protected], "Rob Morley" wrote:


Any old Cat5e usually seems to work just fine for gigabit, it costs
you nothing to try the existing installation. :-)


Just make sure they have all connectors wired and are preferably
straight-through (1-1, 2-2, etc.). Some cheaper cables have only
2-pairs connected and these won't work at 100Mbps.

Good point that I forgot about.

  #10  
Old March 13th 11, 07:04 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
arthurh
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8
Default Mixing netwok speeds

On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 16:08:44 +0000, Rob Morley
wrote:

On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 14:31:57 -0000
John Weston wrote:

In article [email protected], "Rob Morley" wrote:


Any old Cat5e usually seems to work just fine for gigabit, it costs
you nothing to try the existing installation. :-)


Just make sure they have all connectors wired and are preferably
straight-through (1-1, 2-2, etc.). Some cheaper cables have only
2-pairs connected and these won't work at 100Mbps.

Good point that I forgot about.


All points noted, thank you.
 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Speeds in UK versus speeds in N.America [email protected] uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 5 March 3rd 08 10:20 AM
Newbie netwok questions Barry uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) 10 August 31st 07 06:27 PM
Mixing wired & wireless in a network John Miller uk.comp.home-networking (UK home networking) 15 January 11th 07 07:21 PM
Netgear DG384G - mixing wired and wireless TP uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 11 October 25th 05 09:20 AM
BT & higher speeds + lower speeds Dan uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 1 June 29th 04 11:03 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2019 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.