BT Broadband Availability Checker (FTTC)

Old March 14th 11, 08:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Default BT Broadband Availability Checker (FTTC)

"kraftee" kraftee:b&e-cottee.me.uk wrote in message news:...

kraftee wrote:

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
DrTeeth wrote:
On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 09:14:19 -0000, just as I was about to take a
herb, "kraftee" kraftee:b&e-cottee.me.uk disturbed my reverie and
wrote:

There is only 96 connection available from one FTTC 'cab'. It has
nothing to do with contention and all to do with physical equipm,ent.

In another forum, somebody said the limit was 288.

Are all FTTC cabinets the same size, what's the typical capacity of a
POTS cabinet ? What's the ratio of FTTC to POTS capacity ?

There isn't any fixed ratio, the bean counters have made a decision and
that's that..

I would imagine is simply that the existing kit can only handle so many
VDSL lines, and there is limited space in the cabinets for more..

Very little thought appears to have been given to the (non) rollout of the
product in this area. In some instances they've actually split the
resources of one FTTC cab between 2 normal cabs and yet not 2 miles away
they haven't haven't fitted one which would supply 2 busy trading estates
who are crying out for faster connections.

Anyway, in this area the whole thing is a mute point as the much publicised
rollout in January hasn't and isn't any time soon. So unfortunately for me
it looks like I'm going to be hit with 21CN a lot sooner than FTTC even is
on the horizon....

Old March 14th 11, 09:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

kraftee wrote:

Anyway, in this area the whole thing is a mute point as the much
publicised rollout in January hasn't and isn't any time soon. So
unfortunately for me it looks like I'm going to be hit with 21CN a lot
sooner than FTTC even is on the horizon....

They appear to be putting in plenty of cabs towards the top end of
Porchester Rd, of course that area has been ntl/virgin cabled for
decades ... so presumably most people in that area who wanted tens of
megabits of bandwidth already have it?
Old March 15th 11, 09:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
kraftee wrote:

Anyway, in this area the whole thing is a mute point as the much
publicised rollout in January hasn't and isn't any time soon. So
unfortunately for me it looks like I'm going to be hit with 21CN a lot
sooner than FTTC even is on the horizon....

They appear to be putting in plenty of cabs towards the top end of
Porchester Rd, of course that area has been ntl/virgin cabled for
decades ... so presumably most people in that area who wanted tens of
megabits of bandwidth already have it?

They've already dotted them around the West Bridgford area with a couple of
PCPs being left out, as already mentioned, mind you one not 1km from the
exchange has been done (?) yet no roll out and new 21CN equipment going into
the exchange. Mixed messages there I think.

The top of Porchester Road will be the Sherwood exchange roll out (or not as
the case may be)....

Quite a few engineers (with quite a bit off kit) all champing at the bit and
nothing apparently happening.

Old March 16th 11, 12:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jim

On 14/03/2011 21:23, Andy Burns wrote:
kraftee wrote:

Anyway, in this area the whole thing is a mute point as the much
publicised rollout in January hasn't and isn't any time soon. So
unfortunately for me it looks like I'm going to be hit with 21CN a lot
sooner than FTTC even is on the horizon....

They appear to be putting in plenty of cabs towards the top end of
Porchester Rd, of course that area has been ntl/virgin cabled for
decades ... so presumably most people in that area who wanted tens of
megabits of bandwidth already have it?

Surely BT's target users for this service are not
businesses, which can be charged for expensive leased
lines, but residential subscribers who can be sold
bundled TV/broadband/phone packages?
Old March 16th 11, 06:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Jim wrote:

On 14/03/2011 21:23, Andy Burns wrote:

They appear to be putting in plenty of cabs towards the top end of
Porchester Rd, of course that area has been ntl/virgin cabled for
decades ... so presumably most people in that area who wanted tens of
megabits of bandwidth already have it?

Surely BT's target users for this service are not businesses, which can
be charged for expensive leased lines,

I wasn't really suggesting they were targeting businesses, for the
benefit of those not familiar with the area, it is a largely residential
area.

but residential subscribers who
can be sold bundled TV/broadband/phone packages?

but virgon also sell all the above. If I was a BT planning bod deciding
where to pull in my magic infinity fibres, I'd pick areas where someone
else didn't already have *their* fibres or coax ...

Granted, as soon as BT Openreach have provisioned fibre they have to
make it available to other resellers as well as BT Retail, but why
choose to go head-to-head with an incumbent?