ADSL router power consumption

Old March 20th 11, 12:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
BluntChisel

Default ADSL router power consumption

I'm looking for a new ADSL router to replace a very old one that is becoming
unreliable. My requirements a
1) Low power consumption
1) At least 4 gigabit ethernet ports

I haven't made precise measurements, but I reckon my current router consumes
at least 5 watts, because both it and it's wall-wart are always warm to the
touch. I need to have it switched on all the time, so power consumption is
an issue. Also, I suspect the current router's wall-wart is not a modern
switch-mode design, because it is bulky and runs warm.

Can anyone suggest a router that has lower-than-average power consumption?

Old March 20th 11, 12:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick

On 20/03/2011 11:00, BluntChisel wrote:
I'm looking for a new ADSL router to replace a very old one that is becoming
unreliable. My requirements a
1) Low power consumption
1) At least 4 gigabit ethernet ports

I haven't made precise measurements, but I reckon my current router consumes
at least 5 watts, because both it and it's wall-wart are always warm to the
touch. I need to have it switched on all the time, so power consumption is
an issue. Also, I suspect the current router's wall-wart is not a modern
switch-mode design, because it is bulky and runs warm.

Can anyone suggest a router that has lower-than-average power consumption?

My old router uses 4 watts. Measured at the wall socket.

How much money were you hoping to save? I guess you would save 75p per
watt per annum.
Old March 20th 11, 12:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 11:31:16 +0000, Nick wrote:

On 20/03/2011 11:00, BluntChisel wrote:
I'm looking for a new ADSL router to replace a very old one that is
becoming unreliable. My requirements a
1) Low power consumption
1) At least 4 gigabit ethernet ports

I haven't made precise measurements, but I reckon my current router
consumes at least 5 watts, because both it and it's wall-wart are
always warm to the touch. I need to have it switched on all the time,
so power consumption is an issue. Also, I suspect the current router's
wall-wart is not a modern switch-mode design, because it is bulky and
runs warm.

Can anyone suggest a router that has lower-than-average power
consumption?

My old router uses 4 watts. Measured at the wall socket.

How much money were you hoping to save? I guess you would save 75p per
watt per annum.

Rather more than that (depending on supplier). A bit more than a pound.

But hardly worth worrying about, in the scheme of things...that's down at
the 'noise' level.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Old March 20th 11, 01:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Manticore

"BluntChisel" wrote in message
I'm looking for a new ADSL router to replace a very old one that is
becoming
unreliable. My requirements a
1) Low power consumption
1) At least 4 gigabit ethernet ports

I haven't made precise measurements, but I reckon my current router
consumes
at least 5 watts, because both it and it's wall-wart are always warm to
the
touch. I need to have it switched on all the time, so power consumption is
an issue. Also, I suspect the current router's wall-wart is not a modern
switch-mode design, because it is bulky and runs warm.

Can anyone suggest a router that has lower-than-average power consumption?

Even in these days of austerity measures, worrying about the power
consumption of a router and its wall-wart is anal in the extreme. You may
save about five quid PER YEAR between the best and the worst power
consumption - and if that REALLY means so much to you, perhaps you shouldn't
have broadband at all, thereby making greater savings.

Get a life my friend and enjoy it, for life is too short to be worrying
about five quid a year :-)

Old March 20th 11, 02:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick

On 20/03/2011 11:38, Bob Eager wrote:

My old router uses 4 watts. Measured at the wall socket.

How much money were you hoping to save? I guess you would save 75p per
watt per annum.

Rather more than that (depending on supplier). A bit more than a pound.

Well I could just admit I was wrong and had looked at an old Tariff.

However as this is usenet... I have to ask how much you factored in the
need to increase heating bills if the router power (and consequent heat)
was reduced ;o)

Old March 20th 11, 03:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 13:04:29 +0000, Nick wrote:

On 20/03/2011 11:38, Bob Eager wrote:

My old router uses 4 watts. Measured at the wall socket.

How much money were you hoping to save? I guess you would save 75p per
watt per annum.

Rather more than that (depending on supplier). A bit more than a pound.

Well I could just admit I was wrong and had looked at an old Tariff.

However as this is usenet... I have to ask how much you factored in the
need to increase heating bills if the router power (and consequent heat)
was reduced ;o)

Ah, I did. Otherwise it would have been a bit more than a bit more than a
pound!

Old March 20th 11, 03:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

"Manticore" wrote in message

Get a life my friend and enjoy it, for life is too short to be worrying
about five quid a year :-)

I agree.

I have a friend who turns room light out when he is only going out of that
room for a couple of minutes.

Regards
David

Old March 20th 11, 06:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

BluntChisel wrote:
I'm looking for a new ADSL router to replace a very old one that is becoming
unreliable. My requirements a
1) Low power consumption
1) At least 4 gigabit ethernet ports

I haven't made precise measurements, but I reckon my current router consumes
at least 5 watts, because both it and it's wall-wart are always warm to the
touch. I need to have it switched on all the time, so power consumption is
an issue. Also, I suspect the current router's wall-wart is not a modern
switch-mode design, because it is bulky and runs warm.

5 watts, say 125 watt-hours per day, 1kwh (1 unit) every 8 days. So
about 1.5 or 2 pence per day. Less than 10/year. I can think of
better ways of saving money! :-)

Can anyone suggest a router that has lower-than-average power consumption?

--
Chris Green
Old March 20th 11, 07:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeterC

On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 11:31:16 +0000, Nick wrote:

On 20/03/2011 11:00, BluntChisel wrote:
I'm looking for a new ADSL router to replace a very old one that is becoming
unreliable. My requirements a
1) Low power consumption
1) At least 4 gigabit ethernet ports

I haven't made precise measurements, but I reckon my current router consumes
at least 5 watts, because both it and it's wall-wart are always warm to the
touch. I need to have it switched on all the time, so power consumption is
an issue. Also, I suspect the current router's wall-wart is not a modern
switch-mode design, because it is bulky and runs warm.

Can anyone suggest a router that has lower-than-average power consumption?

My old router uses 4 watts. Measured at the wall socket.

How much money were you hoping to save? I guess you would save 75p per
watt per annum.

Very roughly ( but OK taking into consideration the inaccuracies of
measurements) 1W is about 9kWh (units) per annum, so over a quid in a year.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Old March 20th 11, 07:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Scott

On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 14:46:43 -0000, "David"
wrote:

"Manticore" wrote in message

Get a life my friend and enjoy it, for life is too short to be worrying
about five quid a year :-)

I agree.

I have a friend who turns room light out when he is only going out of that
room for a couple of minutes.

My great aunt insisted in not leaving sockets with nothing plugged in
as she believed the electricity would escape through the holes.