Tiscali / Talk Talk speed today

Old March 22nd 11, 11:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Allan Mac

Default Tiscali / Talk Talk speed today

Hi

anyone else got a severe speed reduction problem? Normally connect at
6 - 7 MB, today unable to load a speed tester, times out.

Thanks Al
Old March 22nd 11, 11:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Allan Mac

On Mar 22, 11:41*am, Allan Mac wrote:
Hi

anyone else got a severe speed reduction problem? Normally connect at
6 - 7 MB, today unable to load a speed tester, times out.

Thanks *Al

And suddenly back to normal ! yes I know that should have been Mb.

Al
Old March 22nd 11, 01:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeterC

On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 04:41:09 -0700 (PDT), Allan Mac wrote:

Hi

anyone else got a severe speed reduction problem? Normally connect at
6 - 7 MB, today unable to load a speed tester, times out.

Thanks Al

Well, something's weird. My connection is almost always at 1.6 - 1.9Mbps;
most usually at 1.8Mbps (on Tiscali).
The download at 1.8 is ~204kBps (please don't pick up on this - it's for
comparison only and is what NetMeter tells me).

About the beginning of this month the d/l speed dropped to 184, then to
154kBps - it's always flat-topped and holds for the full usual range. On
Sunday, at 1.9Mbps the d/l went to 184kBps but since has dropped back to
154.

Given the almost fixed figures, some one is buggering about with the speeds.
It's not LLU, so I suspect that BT is throttling due to lack of backhaul
from the exchange.

I'd like to know if it's only Tiscali or if other ISPs are affected. The
exchange is Roade:
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/EMRDDEE
if there's any one here on the same one.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Old March 22nd 11, 03:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sean Black

In message , PeterC
writes
[...]

I've been having awful speed issues with Pipex (Talk Talk) for the last
two months.
--
Sean Black
Old March 22nd 11, 03:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

PeterC wrote:
[...]

There is weird **** going on in a lot of places,. I had crap service,
two engineer visits, no real improvement and then suddenly, no ability
to dial out!! followed by 5 days of perfect broadband. And phone???

My guess is that DSlams are popping or summat.

Old March 23rd 11, 08:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeterC

On Tue, 22 Mar 2011 15:23:38 +0000, Sean Black wrote:

In message , PeterC
writes
[...]

Late last night it connected at 386kbps! Made browsing Argos a bit slow.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Old March 23rd 11, 01:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sean Black

In message , PeterC
writes
[...]

Tell me about it! That's pretty much all I've been getting for the last
couple of months. Having been a steady 1500kbps for the last couple of
years previous to that. Even though 1500 isn't the greatest of speed,
you certainly notice it when it drops to around a quarter of that!
--
Sean Black
Old March 23rd 11, 05:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeterC

On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 13:09:53 +0000, Sean Black wrote:

In message , PeterC
writes
[...]

A new one: connects in the usual range but d/l is now flat-topped at 30kBps!
Did it this morning and now this evening.
I'd 'phone Tiscali but...!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Old March 24th 11, 08:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sean Black

In message , PeterC
writes
[...]

Good luck with that :-)

I've had two months of phone calls/emails and getting nowhere, I've now
got a MAC from them, so will be jumping ship as soon as I make up my
mind who to go with.

I've seen a couple of reports from people who have switched away from
Talk Talk and yet TT have still continued to take payments from them and
then send out threatening letters if they cancelled the direct debits.
They really are a complete nightmare. It's a shame, because 9 years ago
when I first joined Pipex, they were actually pretty good.
--
Sean Black
Old March 24th 11, 05:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeterC

On Thu, 24 Mar 2011 08:50:56 +0000, Sean Black wrote:

[...]

It's gone back up to its recent levels today! Still poor but not as bad.

I'd go to IDNet, but it'd be 50% more nad I'm sure that the limit is in the
exchange.

As for TT being awkward: the regulator has been quite assetive recently.

A site that might help is:
http://www.mobilemaster.co.uk/Clientsites/pipex/
It's a bit dead but there is some advice if you dig around, including the
various organisations that can help and how to proceed with disengaging from
TT.

Good luck!
--
Peter.