A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) (uk.telecom.broadband) Discussion of broadband services, technology and equipment as provided in the UK. Discussions of specific services based on ADSL, cable modems or other broadband technology are also on-topic. Advertising is not allowed.

Disastrous migration to 21CN



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old March 23rd 11, 01:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 605
Default Disastrous migration to 21CN

Hi all,

You may remember a few weeks back I was mulling over migrating to ADSL2+
as it had recently been enabled at my exchange. Well, I took the plunge
and what a mistake that was

Ever since, my connection speed has plummeted from solidly 8Mbps to
between 3.5-6Mbps (mostly 3.5Mbps) and my download speed has been
equally dismal. I raised a fault with plusnet and after a bit of testing
a problem was found on the telephone side of things, which was very
quickly 'resolved', but there was no change in my broadband performance.
I don't know what the issue was as I wasn't at home when the engineer came.

I have tried all the usual things of different filters, connection
direct to the test socket and even borrowed a different router, but to
no avail: my broadband is consistently crap. BTW the BT wholesale
checker claims that I should be able to get 13Mbps, with a range of
7-17Mbps, via ADSL2+. Which is doubly infuriating as instead of doubling
my throughput it's halved it! (

Can anyone shed any light on why this could be happening and what else
can be done to at least get close to the speed I was getting before?

This is also a warning to anyone else considering the move as you may
not get what you're expecting :-/
  #2  
Old March 23rd 11, 02:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Scott
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 141
Default Disastrous migration to 21CN

On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 13:59:25 +0000, chris wrote:

Hi all,

You may remember a few weeks back I was mulling over migrating to ADSL2+
as it had recently been enabled at my exchange. Well, I took the plunge
and what a mistake that was

Ever since, my connection speed has plummeted from solidly 8Mbps to
between 3.5-6Mbps (mostly 3.5Mbps) and my download speed has been
equally dismal. I raised a fault with plusnet and after a bit of testing
a problem was found on the telephone side of things, which was very
quickly 'resolved', but there was no change in my broadband performance.
I don't know what the issue was as I wasn't at home when the engineer came.

I have tried all the usual things of different filters, connection
direct to the test socket and even borrowed a different router, but to
no avail: my broadband is consistently crap. BTW the BT wholesale
checker claims that I should be able to get 13Mbps, with a range of
7-17Mbps, via ADSL2+. Which is doubly infuriating as instead of doubling
my throughput it's halved it! (

Can anyone shed any light on why this could be happening and what else
can be done to at least get close to the speed I was getting before?

This is also a warning to anyone else considering the move as you may
not get what you're expecting :-/


FTTC is the way forward. I was struggling to get 400 kbps then moved
to fibre to the cabinet and it shot up to between 36 and 37 Mbps. Not
yet available in all areas.
  #3  
Old March 23rd 11, 02:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bernard Peek
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 202
Default Disastrous migration to 21CN

On 23/03/11 13:59, chris wrote:


Can anyone shed any light on why this could be happening and what else
can be done to at least get close to the speed I was getting before?


ADSL 2+ appears to be more susceptible to poor cabling. If you keep
hounding them it will get fixed eventually.



--
Bernard Peek

  #4  
Old March 23rd 11, 03:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 605
Default Disastrous migration to 21CN

On 23/03/11 14:46, Scott wrote:

FTTC is the way forward. I was struggling to get 400 kbps then moved
to fibre to the cabinet and it shot up to between 36 and 37 Mbps. Not
yet available in all areas.


That's the understatement of the century!

The other key difference is cost. I doubt very much you'd be able to get
FTTC for 10pm.
  #5  
Old March 23rd 11, 03:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony Mountifield
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 47
Default Disastrous migration to 21CN

In article ,
Bernard Peek wrote:
On 23/03/11 13:59, chris wrote:


Can anyone shed any light on why this could be happening and what else
can be done to at least get close to the speed I was getting before?


ADSL 2+ appears to be more susceptible to poor cabling. If you keep
hounding them it will get fixed eventually.


I found that on my long line, even when I had moved to 21CN, I had
better performance by having the line in ADSL1 mode. Being on 21CN
doesn't force you to use ADSL2/2+.

Cheers
Tony
--
Tony Mountifield
Work: - http://www.softins.co.uk
Play: - http://tony.mountifield.org
  #6  
Old March 23rd 11, 04:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Scott
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 141
Default Disastrous migration to 21CN

On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 15:01:41 +0000, chris wrote:

On 23/03/11 14:46, Scott wrote:

FTTC is the way forward. I was struggling to get 400 kbps then moved
to fibre to the cabinet and it shot up to between 36 and 37 Mbps. Not
yet available in all areas.


That's the understatement of the century!

It's the start of a roll-out.

The other key difference is cost. I doubt very much you'd be able to get
FTTC for 10pm.


That may be the second understatement of the century! However, it
depends whether you place quality before cost.
  #7  
Old March 23rd 11, 06:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 605
Default Disastrous migration to 21CN

On 23/03/2011 15:03, Tony Mountifield wrote:
In ,
Bernard wrote:
On 23/03/11 13:59, chris wrote:


Can anyone shed any light on why this could be happening and what else
can be done to at least get close to the speed I was getting before?


ADSL 2+ appears to be more susceptible to poor cabling. If you keep
hounding them it will get fixed eventually.


I found that on my long line, even when I had moved to 21CN, I had
better performance by having the line in ADSL1 mode. Being on 21CN
doesn't force you to use ADSL2/2+.


Interesting. I'll try that and see.
  #8  
Old March 23rd 11, 07:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,728
Default Disastrous migration to 21CN

chris wrote:
On 23/03/2011 15:03, Tony Mountifield wrote:
In ,
Bernard wrote:
On 23/03/11 13:59, chris wrote:


Can anyone shed any light on why this could be happening and what else
can be done to at least get close to the speed I was getting before?

ADSL 2+ appears to be more susceptible to poor cabling. If you keep
hounding them it will get fixed eventually.


I found that on my long line, even when I had moved to 21CN, I had
better performance by having the line in ADSL1 mode. Being on 21CN
doesn't force you to use ADSL2/2+.


Interesting. I'll try that and see.


The crossover is according to www.kitz.co.uk about 4-5Mbps. If you get
more than that on ADSL2, then 21CN will be better. OTOH if you get less,
you should probably stay with ADSL2
  #9  
Old March 23rd 11, 08:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,069
Default Disastrous migration to 21CN


"chris" wrote in message
...
Hi all,

You may remember a few weeks back I was mulling over migrating to ADSL2+
as it had recently been enabled at my exchange. Well, I took the plunge
and what a mistake that was

Ever since, my connection speed has plummeted from solidly 8Mbps to
between 3.5-6Mbps (mostly 3.5Mbps) and my download speed has been equally
dismal. I raised a fault with plusnet and after a bit of testing a problem
was found on the telephone side of things, which was very quickly
'resolved', but there was no change in my broadband performance. I don't
know what the issue was as I wasn't at home when the engineer came.

I have tried all the usual things of different filters, connection direct
to the test socket and even borrowed a different router, but to no avail:
my broadband is consistently crap. BTW the BT wholesale checker claims
that I should be able to get 13Mbps, with a range of 7-17Mbps, via ADSL2+.
Which is doubly infuriating as instead of doubling my throughput it's
halved it! (

Can anyone shed any light on why this could be happening and what else can
be done to at least get close to the speed I was getting before?


As I have already posted, 21CN services are more prone to problems with
noise spikes and the like and it doesn't take many to get you down to the
speeds you are getting, say one every 3-4 days. Speaking from experience
(in the field) the only sure way to get you the speeds you had originally is
to go back to 20CN and then be patient about the roll out of FTTC and see
what the prices are like when it eventually gets to your part of the world
(if it ever does).




  #10  
Old March 23rd 11, 08:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 486
Default Disastrous migration to 21CN

Scott wrote:

FTTC is the way forward. Not yet available in all areas.


Let me fix that for you ...

Available in hardly any areas yet.


There.
 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
21CN in Glasgow Scott uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 5 March 24th 09 08:50 PM
More BT 21CN failure Chris Hills uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 8 October 30th 08 09:32 PM
21CN Howard Neil uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 58 October 20th 08 07:23 PM
BT 21CN activation 30/4/08 DAB sounds worse than FM uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 44 May 1st 08 08:18 PM
Multicast on 21CN DAB sounds worse than FM uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 71 March 26th 08 10:44 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2019 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.