FTTC more susceptible to interference?

Old March 26th 11, 10:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony Mountifield

Default FTTC more susceptible to interference?

Since I got FTTC on Wednesday, I have noticed a period each day,
sometimes less than an hour, sometimes a couple of hours or more,
where the VDSL modem can't keep the carrier for more than a minute
or two. This is usually between late afternoon and early to mid evening.
The rest of the time it's rock solid.

It really feels like interference (a radio amateur having a session
of operating?), since there is such a huge difference between the
bad times and the good, but I've no idea how to track something
like that down. Are there such things as wideband spectrum analysers
with a directional antenna? I assume VDSL uses frequencies up to
several tens of MHz.

Would be grateful for any suggestions. The times of interference
starting and stopping don't correspond to any change of activity
in our house.

Cheers
Tony
--
Tony Mountifield
Work: - http://www.softins.co.uk
Old March 27th 11, 10:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sultan of Usenet

On Sat, 26 Mar 2011 22:47:51 +0000, Tony Mountifield made love to the
words:

[...]

That's nothing - wait to the contention stands out to you, it's like a
bloody crawl.....
Old March 27th 11, 04:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

"Sultan of Usenet" wrote in message
[...]

This of course is the problem with VDSL. There's no user-level management
of the modem, so you can't see the line performance.

Contrast this with the ADSL modem integrated into a typical router, where
you can see SNR margin, line attenuation, and data rate, as well as
(sometimes) a host of other useful information about error rates and the
like.

Probably best to hold off getting FTTC until there are modems that provide
such performance monitoring. Then at least you can goto the ISP with a
well-founded complaint and get them to (get Openreach to) investigate.

--
Graham J

Old March 27th 11, 04:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DrTeeth

On Sun, 27 Mar 2011 16:01:14 +0100, just as I was about to take a
herb, "Graham J" [email protected] disturbed my reverie and wrote:

Probably best to hold off getting FTTC until there are modems that provide
such performance monitoring. Then at least you can goto the ISP with a
well-founded complaint and get them to (get Openreach to) investigate.

They are just becoming available, but my understanding is that it is
illegal to use anything but the supplied modem at present.
--

Cheers,

DrT

Old March 27th 11, 05:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony Mountifield

In article ,
Scott wrote:
On Sat, 26 Mar 2011 22:47:51 +0000 (UTC), (Tony
Mountifield) wrote:

Since I got FTTC on Wednesday, I have noticed a period each day,
sometimes less than an hour, sometimes a couple of hours or more,
where the VDSL modem can't keep the carrier for more than a minute
or two. This is usually between late afternoon and early to mid evening.
The rest of the time it's rock solid.

It really feels like interference (a radio amateur having a session
of operating?), since there is such a huge difference between the
bad times and the good, but I've no idea how to track something
like that down. Are there such things as wideband spectrum analysers
with a directional antenna? I assume VDSL uses frequencies up to
several tens of MHz.

Would be grateful for any suggestions. The times of interference
starting and stopping don't correspond to any change of activity
in our house.

Is your ringing wire disconnected? See Google for much discussion
about this topic.

Thanks for the pointer; I'll do some likely searches.

I watched the engineer change the faceplate when he installed FTTC, and
there were only two wires that he put into the IDC terminals on the back
of the innermost faceplate. Does it matter which is which?

It's just strange that it switches abruptly from rock solid to unusable
and then later back again.

Cheers
Tony
Old March 27th 11, 05:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony Mountifield

In article ,
Sultan of Usenet wrote:

That's nothing - wait to the contention stands out to you, it's like a
bloody crawl.....

Er, excuse me, your chip is showing...

Tony