free newsreader

Old March 28th 11, 09:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
J B

Default free newsreader

My news.individual.net account is up for renewal soon.

Shall I pay the 10 (?) Euro or are there decent free ones, or is the
plusnet one any good?

--
J B
Old March 28th 11, 09:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

http://eternal-september.org does it for me.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old March 28th 11, 09:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

J B wrote:
My news.individual.net account is up for renewal soon.

Shall I pay the 10 (?) Euro or are there decent free ones, or is the
plusnet one any good?

I am reasoanbly satisfied with this one..and eternal september gets good
copy too.
Old March 28th 11, 10:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

On 28/03/2011 21:34, J B wrote:
My news.individual.net account is up for renewal soon.

Shall I pay the 10 (?) Euro or are there decent free ones, or is the
plusnet one any good?

The Plusnet one isn't bad - it's actually run by Giganews.
However, I prefer to use news.individual.net, as its propagation speed
is near-instant, compared with a few minutes' wait on Plusnet for posts
to appear.
In my view, n.i.n. is well worth the 10 euros a year. It's spam filters
are excellent too.

George
Old March 28th 11, 10:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nick

On 28/03/2011 21:34, J B wrote:
My news.individual.net account is up for renewal soon.

Shall I pay the 10 (?) Euro or are there decent free ones, or is the
plusnet one any good?

http://www.news.astraweb.com/plans.html

single payment of $10 for 25 GB. 2 years on I have only used 200MB.

Just as quick and reliable as news individual. optional SSL connection
to avoid ISP traffic shaping.

The only downside being it doesn't work well with moderated groups like
uk.legal.moderated.

I've tried eternal september but frequently get periods when it jut
times out.

Old March 29th 11, 12:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Herbie

"J B" wrote in message ...
My news.individual.net account is up for renewal soon.

Shall I pay the 10 (?) Euro or are there decent free ones, or is the plusnet one any good?

--
J B

http://eternal-september.org does it for me.

Me too.

Swopped from N.I.N. to eternal-september.
no complants so far.

Herbie
Old March 29th 11, 05:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Doc Rumack

On Tue, 29 Mar 2011 12:13:30 +0100, Herbie
wrote:

Swopped from N.I.N. to eternal-september.
no complants so far.

Another happy camper here.

--
Please reply only to newsgroup.
Posts from Googlegroups & *banter forums are killfiled.
Old March 29th 11, 08:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
J B

wrote:

Swopped from N.I.N. to eternal-september.
no complants so far.

Another happy camper here.

Seems that E/S gets plenty of 'thumbs up' - many thanks all

One more question, will it work from outside the UK. Don't see why it
wouldn't, but just checking.

--
J B