Thinking Of Downgrade From Sky To Plusnet

Old March 31st 11, 01:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
mk

Default Thinking Of Downgrade From Sky To Plusnet

Currently have Sky Unlimited Broadband at 15 a month with BT line rental. I
also pay separately for a Giganews account as Sky doesn't provide one.

The plus points of Sky and Giganews is they have both been faultless in both
setup and operation during the past 18 months and this is important to me.

Despite this I am drawn to the Plusnet value package which is less than half
what I am currently paying and also provides newsgroup access ,at I assume
no extra charge.At first this looks a win win situation.

If I made the switch what is the likelihood of the service going downhill
e.g.: connection speeds, and periods of non service ? I currently get 5.7
download which isn't bad as I live about 2-3 miles from the exchange.

Mk.

Old March 31st 11, 02:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeeGee

On 31/03/11 13:48, mk wrote:
Currently have Sky Unlimited Broadband at 15 a month with BT line rental. I
also pay separately for a Giganews account as Sky doesn't provide one.

The plus points of Sky and Giganews is they have both been faultless in both
setup and operation during the past 18 months and this is important to me.

Despite this I am drawn to the Plusnet value package which is less than half
what I am currently paying and also provides newsgroup access ,at I assume
no extra charge.At first this looks a win win situation.

If I made the switch what is the likelihood of the service going downhill
e.g.: connection speeds, and periods of non service ? I currently get 5.7
download which isn't bad as I live about 2-3 miles from the exchange.

Mk.

I switched some time ago and, as far as I'm concerned, there is no
appreciable difference in speeds etc. and NGs are included. You may like
to check

http://www.plus.net/support/broadban...d_speeds.shtml

to see if the traffic shaping will affect what you want (I don't have a
problem with it for my "profile" of use).

--
PeeGee

to be removed from a computer easily."
Old March 31st 11, 03:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

On 31/03/11 13:48, mk wrote:
Currently have Sky Unlimited Broadband at 15 a month with BT line rental. I
also pay separately for a Giganews account as Sky doesn't provide one.

The plus points of Sky and Giganews is they have both been faultless in both
setup and operation during the past 18 months and this is important to me.

Despite this I am drawn to the Plusnet value package which is less than half
what I am currently paying and also provides newsgroup access ,at I assume
no extra charge.At first this looks a win win situation.

If I made the switch what is the likelihood of the service going downhill
e.g.: connection speeds, and periods of non service ? I currently get 5.7
download which isn't bad as I live about 2-3 miles from the exchange.

Although I'm on plusnet, I use eternal-september.org as my news server.
I can't remember why I switched, but I'm happy with eternal-september.

In terms of service on ADSLMax I had no problems at all over the last
2years. I recently moved to ADSL2+ and had nothing but problems. This
may not be a plusnet problem, but I've yet to get to the bottom of it.
Old March 31st 11, 03:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flyig u 211 +

mk wrote:
Currently have Sky Unlimited Broadband at 15 a month with BT line
rental. I also pay separately for a Giganews account as Sky doesn't
provide one.
The plus points of Sky and Giganews is they have both been faultless
in both setup and operation during the past 18 months and this is
important to me.
Despite this I am drawn to the Plusnet value package which is less
than half what I am currently paying and also provides newsgroup
access ,at I assume no extra charge.At first this looks a win win
situation.
If I made the switch what is the likelihood of the service going
downhill e.g.: connection speeds, and periods of non service ? I
currently get 5.7 download which isn't bad as I live about 2-3 miles
from the exchange.
Mk.

I swotched to the val;ue package last October. On the ADSL I was getting a
synch rate of 7616 kbps. During the upgrade they switched me to ADSL 2+
the synch rate was up a bit but not sufficient to raise my IP Profile from
6500 kbps. Recently - in the couple of weeks I have found that synch rate
has risen - to 9251 kbps by yesterday and the IP Profile was also upped to
8000 kbps. This morning I rebooted my router following some nasties after
that big BT outage yesterday everning. After the reboot synch rate was up
to 9417 kbps. So I reckon they are continuing to improve the line quality
between me and the local exchange.
--
Heard melodies are sweet, but those Unheard are sweeter
FN 211 +, Mungo Brandybuck of Buckland

Old March 31st 11, 04:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

On 31/03/2011 13:48, mk wrote:
Currently have Sky Unlimited Broadband at 15 a month with BT line rental. I
also pay separately for a Giganews account as Sky doesn't provide one.

The plus points of Sky and Giganews is they have both been faultless in both
setup and operation during the past 18 months and this is important to me.

Despite this I am drawn to the Plusnet value package which is less than half
what I am currently paying and also provides newsgroup access ,at I assume
no extra charge.At first this looks a win win situation.

If I made the switch what is the likelihood of the service going downhill
e.g.: connection speeds, and periods of non service ? I currently get 5.7
download which isn't bad as I live about 2-3 miles from the exchange.

Mk.

Someone else asked a similar question a few days ago.
You'll find many responses already under that thread which may help
answer any of the queries that you raise - and others too.
The thread is entitled "Plusnet" - duh ;-)

George
Old March 31st 11, 05:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

"mk" wrote in message ...
Currently have Sky Unlimited Broadband at 15 a month with BT line rental. I also pay separately for a Giganews account as Sky
doesn't provide one.

The plus points of Sky and Giganews is they have both been faultless in both setup and operation during the past 18 months and
this is important to me.

Despite this I am drawn to the Plusnet value package which is less than half what I am currently paying and also provides
newsgroup access ,at I assume no extra charge.At first this looks a win win situation.

If I made the switch what is the likelihood of the service going downhill e.g.: connection speeds, and periods of non service ? I
currently get 5.7 download which isn't bad as I live about 2-3 miles from the exchange.

Mk.

I am always intrigued as to why people need/expect their ISP to provide
Usenet access, or for that matter POP email.

Nether of these were on my radar when I chose an ISP.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old March 31st 11, 06:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

On 31/03/2011 17:23, Graham. wrote:
wrote in message ...
[...]

Well, in the case of Plusnet, they do have their own newsgroups, which
are only available to their customers from their own news server.
These include customer feedback and service status, which I find very
useful.

George
Old March 31st 11, 08:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Champ

On 31/03/2011 17:23, Graham. wrote:

I am always intrigued as to why people need/expect their ISP to provide
Usenet access, or for that matter POP email.

Nether of these were on my radar when I chose an ISP.

One stop shop. If I have no news access I know who to call.

If someone was to supply ISP only at significantly lower cost to other
ISPs I might think again - but it doesn't seem to be a factor in the
pricing.

Andy
Old March 31st 11, 09:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

wrote in message ...
[...]

To my mind they are basic services which an ISP should provide.

At the moment there are quite good free alternatives such as Gmail and
Eternal-September but they may not remain free for ever.

Ultimately it is a matter of money. If my broadband was free I would
accept it without these services

--
Michael Chare
Old March 31st 11, 10:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

wrote in message
[...]

well thats your POV.

At the moment there are quite good free alternatives such as Gmail and
Eternal-September but they may not remain free for ever.

Ultimately it is a matter of money. If my broadband was free I would
accept it without these services

Hah! the bandwidth costs far more than the shoddy services that people
accept for hosted services.