Offline newsreader

Old March 31st 11, 06:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
rbel

Default Offline newsreader

Can anyone recommend an offline newsreader with a reasonable killfile
facility? (ex Turnpike user)

--
rbel
Old April 1st 11, 09:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Boulding

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 19:51:48 +0200, rbel wrote in
:

Can anyone recommend an offline newsreader with a reasonable killfile
facility? (ex Turnpike user)

Forté Agent. 29USD.

Nowadays so few people need an offline newsreader that it's an online reader
by default but can be set to download headers and then allow you to mark
those messages you want to retrieve, and so on.

http://www.forteinc.com/agent/

--
Regards, Peter Boulding
(to e-mail, remove "UNSPAM")
Old April 2nd 11, 10:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Chapman

rbel stated on Thu, 31 Mar 2011 at 19:51:48, the
following...

Can anyone recommend an offline newsreader with a reasonable killfile
facility? (ex Turnpike user)

I cannot understand why any Turnpike user would want to use any other
offering.

I'm intrigued.
..
--
Peter
Old April 2nd 11, 11:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
martin goose

On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 10:58:22 +0100, Peter Chapman wrote:

I cannot understand why any Turnpike user would want to use any other
offering.

I'm intrigued.

Perhaps, like me, they no longer use MS Windows and have had to move away.

--
Martin Goose --- "Engineering is the art of modelling materials we do not
wholly understand, into shapes we cannot precisely analyse, so as to

Old April 2nd 11, 11:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 05:14:10 -0500, martin goose wrote:

On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 10:58:22 +0100, Peter Chapman wrote:

I cannot understand why any Turnpike user would want to use any other
offering.

I'm intrigued.

Perhaps, like me, they no longer use MS Windows and have had to move
away.

Wondered what you were using for a newsreader, but I see it's the same as
me!

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Old April 2nd 11, 02:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
martin goose

On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 10:33:27 +0000, Bob Eager wrote:

Wondered what you were using for a newsreader, but I see it's the same
as me!

Pan in PCLinuxOS works fine for me (along with most of the software in
the repositories). I only occasionally get flashbacks to the 'assembly of
a Japanese bicycle'!

Old April 2nd 11, 02:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Boulding

On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 08:01:30 -0500, martin goose
wrote in
:

Pan in PCLinuxOS works fine for me (along with most of the software in
the repositories). I only occasionally get flashbacks to the 'assembly of
a Japanese bicycle'!

.... "requires great peace of mind", right?

Old April 2nd 11, 02:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
rbel

On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 11:58:22 +0200, Peter Chapman
wrote:

rbel stated on Thu, 31 Mar 2011 at 19:51:48, the
following...

Can anyone recommend an offline newsreader with a reasonable killfile
facility? (ex Turnpike user)

I cannot understand why any Turnpike user would want to use any other
offering.

I'm intrigued.
.

I have been using win7 64 bit for a while and was running TP under a VM
but given that it looks very unlikely that TP will be significantly
updated in the future I thought it was time to move to pastures new. I
have been an advocate of TP since its early days when Demon acquired it
but given the no development approach that has been evident for a while, I
decided to look at the alternatives. As suggested by another contributor
the paid for version of Agent may be worth looking at.

--
rbel
Old April 2nd 11, 04:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
martin goose

On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 14:48:50 +0100, Peter Boulding wrote:

On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 08:01:30 -0500, martin goose
wrote in
:

Pan in PCLinuxOS works fine for me (along with most of the software in
the repositories). I only occasionally get flashbacks to the 'assembly
of a Japanese bicycle'!

... "requires great peace of mind", right?

Yes. I do miss the erudite comments from Richard. However you can still
find him he
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rnc1/

I notice that he has retained his highwayman.com email address.

Old April 2nd 11, 07:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alanp

Mesnews ????

www.mesnews.net

Alan P