Virgin Media outage

Old April 1st 11, 06:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

Default Virgin Media outage

According to the monitoring I am doing on several VM routers, there is a major outage
in Liverpool (hostnames = custxxx.know.cable.virginmedia.com) where xxx is the last octet of
the IP minus 1
range is within 92.239.181.x
They all went down at 1558, still down.

Does anyone know how VM IP addresses relate to infrastructure, for example will neighbouring addresses
share the same street cabinet?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old April 1st 11, 06:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Graham. wrote:
According to the monitoring I am doing on several VM routers, there is a major outage
in Liverpool (hostnames = custxxx.know.cable.virginmedia.com) where xxx is the last octet of
the IP minus 1
range is within 92.239.181.x
They all went down at 1558, still down.

Does anyone know how VM IP addresses relate to infrastructure, for example will neighbouring addresses
share the same street cabinet?

This tallies a bit with an extended thread in another group, where
someone provided a traceroute: it appears that virgins CABLE backhaul is
very much a distributed IP network, and therefore it would make for
easier routing if IP blocks were associated with physically close
customers connected to a single upstream router.

I dunno if that applies to ADSL tho. I assume this *is* cable we are
talking about as "custxxx.know.cable.virginmedia.com" would imply such.

Anyway, the point I was making is than unlike BT backhaul, where ATM is
used, Virgin appear to have their own infrastructure and backhaul based
on IP.