Is FTTC on the way ?

Old April 4th 11, 05:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Benham

Default Is FTTC on the way ?

Round by the doctor's this morning, in an area served by the same
exchange as my line (LNWIN), I noticed a white rectangle marked on the
pavement against a wall. And inside the rectangle was one word -
"DSLAM". Is this a sign that FTTC is on the way to my exchange ?

The BT Infinity map still says in service 31 March 2011, but their
phone number checker says "not due to be rolled out". samknows says
RFS 1 June 2011.
Old April 4th 11, 05:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Mc

Andrew Benham wrote:
: Round by the doctor's this morning, in an area served by the same
: exchange as my line (LNWIN), I noticed a white rectangle marked on the
: pavement against a wall. And inside the rectangle was one word -
: "DSLAM". Is this a sign that FTTC is on the way to my exchange ?

Yes - or at least to THAT part of the exchange area!

FTTC is implemented by siting FTTC/DSLAM boxes next to existing BT "green
boxes" - where the trunk cables from the exchange link to customers
lines.

I have not read anything about HOW the FTTC locations are selected or if, once
an exchange is enabled, whether ALL of its cable boxes will get an associated
FTTC cabinet (which would presumably take some time to do!)

On my exchange I have seen a couple of FTTC cabinets near the town centre but
the BT Infinity checker says not available to me (at edge of town!)

Old April 4th 11, 06:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Benham

On Mon, 04 Apr 2011 15:55:39 +0000, Brian Mc wrote:

FTTC is implemented by siting FTTC/DSLAM boxes next to existing BT
"green boxes" - where the trunk cables from the exchange link to
customers lines.

What puzzles me is that there's no existing green cabinet near where
this marking has appeared. It is at the entrance to a new housing
development (used to be a hospital), so perhaps BT predict there'll
be a good take-up of FTTC there.
Old April 4th 11, 08:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

"Andrew Benham" wrote in message
On Mon, 04 Apr 2011 15:55:39 +0000, Brian Mc wrote:

FTTC is implemented by siting FTTC/DSLAM boxes next to existing BT
"green boxes" - where the trunk cables from the exchange link to
customers lines.

What puzzles me is that there's no existing green cabinet near where
this marking has appeared. It is at the entrance to a new housing
development (used to be a hospital), so perhaps BT predict there'll
be a good take-up of FTTC there.

The placement of said green boxes is very random (so it appears) due to the
normal shortsighted vision which the company bean counters typically
display.

As for the painting/marking, don't get your hopes up to high as they were on
display nearly 6 months ago in north east Nottingham and yet nothing has
been done yet. Whilst in the West Bridgford area the actual cabinets have
been (randomly) scattered around for a few months now and still no service
is being offered.

It's all shaping up similarly to the ramshackle way the DSL service was
released nationally all those years ago.

So yes FTTC is on it's way, just don't hold your breath till it arrives ;-)

Old April 4th 11, 11:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeeGee

On 04/04/11 19:29, kraftee wrote:

[...]

The paint appeared a 3 or 4 of weeks ago, next to the existing cabinet
serving my area - the checker gives a date of September. SAM has the
exchange as enabled and about 200m from my box they were uploading the
software for a cabinet a week ago. Unfortunately, they took the right
fork in the road first :-(

--
PeeGee

to be removed from a computer easily."
Old April 5th 11, 10:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

On Mon, 4 Apr 2011 15:17:47 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Benham
wrote:

Round by the doctor's this morning, in an area served by the same
exchange as my line (LNWIN), I noticed a white rectangle marked on the
pavement against a wall. And inside the rectangle was one word -
"DSLAM". Is this a sign that FTTC is on the way to my exchange ?

The BT Infinity map still says in service 31 March 2011, but their
phone number checker says "not due to be rolled out". samknows says
RFS 1 June 2011.

I didn't think FTTC would use DSLAMs. I thought they had something a
bit more modern ;-)
--
(\__/) M.

Old April 5th 11, 11:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Mc

Mark wrote:
: I didn't think FTTC would use DSLAMs. I thought they had something a
: bit more modern ;-)

DSLAM describes the device function (Digital Subscriber Line Access
Multiplexer) - so it cannot "become more modern".

I would, however, very much expect that the one(s) in FTTC cabinets will be
much smaller and more modern than the ones in exchanges.

Old April 5th 11, 12:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

Round by the doctor's this morning, in an area served by the same
exchange as my line (LNWIN), I noticed a white rectangle marked on the
pavement against a wall. And inside the rectangle was one word -
"DSLAM". Is this a sign that FTTC is on the way to my exchange ?

The BT Infinity map still says in service 31 March 2011, but their
phone number checker says "not due to be rolled out". samknows says
RFS 1 June 2011.

I didn't think FTTC would use DSLAMs. I thought they had something a
bit more modern ;-)

VDSLAMS :-)

Not, fortunately, a communi(ty)cable disease.
Old April 8th 11, 03:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Andrew Benham wrote:
On Mon, 04 Apr 2011 15:55:39 +0000, Brian Mc wrote:

FTTC is implemented by siting FTTC/DSLAM boxes next to existing BT
"green boxes" - where the trunk cables from the exchange link to
customers lines.

What puzzles me is that there's no existing green cabinet near where
this marking has appeared. It is at the entrance to a new housing
development (used to be a hospital), so perhaps BT predict there'll
be a good take-up of FTTC there.

Thee FTTC boxes are quite often at some distance from the existing
cabinets and are often sited where it is easy to get teh necessary power
connection from a supplier.
There is then a cable run to/from the existing cabinet and your phone
line is diverted to pick up the BB signal

Mike