FTTC modems

Old April 8th 11, 10:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DrTeeth

Default FTTC modems

Hi,

I have found the BT supplied modem for FTTC to be very unreliable. I
should be getting my third one on Sunday (with an engineer's visit),
since the end of last September.

I'd feel more comfortable having a spare as my problems always seem to
happen at the weekend.

Does anybody have any experience of the Billion 7800N (for that sort
of money, I'd want 5GHz wireless too)? Any other suggestions should
have GBit Ethernet ports for the network. I have not been able to find
any modems on their own (which I'd prefer) as I already have a router.

TIA
--

Cheers,

DrT

Old April 8th 11, 11:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

DrTeeth wrote:
Hi,

I have found the BT supplied modem for FTTC to be very unreliable. I
should be getting my third one on Sunday (with an engineer's visit),
since the end of last September.

I'd feel more comfortable having a spare as my problems always seem to
happen at the weekend.

Does anybody have any experience of the Billion 7800N (for that sort
of money, I'd want 5GHz wireless too)? Any other suggestions should
have GBit Ethernet ports for the network. I have not been able to find
any modems on their own (which I'd prefer) as I already have a router.

I have been very happy with the PERFORMANCE of my billion 7404...the
user interface is a friggin mess tho.

But that's ADSL not VDSL..
TIA

Old April 9th 11, 04:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DrTeeth

On Fri, 08 Apr 2011 23:25:51 +0100, just as I was about to take a
herb, The Natural Philosopher disturbed my
reverie and wrote:

I have been very happy with the PERFORMANCE of my billion 7404...the
user interface is a friggin mess tho.

My Billion 7402r2 remaining in my cupboard for much of its time with
me. Without the ability to tweak my SNRM it was useless. 5.5MB/s
against a tweaked 7MB/s (stable).
--

Cheers,

DrT

Old April 9th 11, 06:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

reverie and wrote:

I have been very happy with the PERFORMANCE of my billion 7404...the
user interface is a friggin mess tho.

My Billion 7402r2 remaining in my cupboard for much of its time with
me. Without the ability to tweak my SNRM it was useless. 5.5MB/s
against a tweaked 7MB/s (stable).

Mine has that ability..'coding gain'
Old April 10th 11, 12:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DrTeeth

On Sat, 09 Apr 2011 18:19:47 +0100, just as I was about to take a
reverie and wrote:

Mine has that ability..'coding gain'

That is not exactly the same as modifying the SNRM.
--

Cheers,

DrT

Old April 10th 11, 05:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

reverie and wrote:

Mine has that ability..'coding gain'

That is not exactly the same as modifying the SNRM.

it appears to do exactly the same thing.
Old April 10th 11, 03:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DrTeeth

On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 05:42:08 +0100, just as I was about to take a
reverie and wrote:

it appears to do exactly the same thing.

Agreed, but so does a brick or steel bar when hitting somebody over
the head g.

They seem to do the same things, but my level of maths is not up to
muster to be able to fully understand the differences. My physics is
better and can just about get my head them.
--

Cheers,

DrT

Old April 10th 11, 05:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

reverie and wrote:

it appears to do exactly the same thing.

Agreed, but so does a brick or steel bar when hitting somebody over
the head g.

They seem to do the same things, but my level of maths is not up to
muster to be able to fully understand the differences. My physics is
better and can just about get my head them.

well the net effect is you sync at a higher or lower speed with the
same SNR margin, so to all intents and purposes its a different name for
the same thing.

Old April 10th 11, 06:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DrTeeth

On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 17:14:33 +0100, just as I was about to take a
reverie and wrote:

well the net effect is you sync at a higher or lower speed with the
same SNR margin, so to all intents and purposes its a different name for
the same thing.

It is not the same thing just because the net effect is the same.
So your car does faster because it has been made more aerodynamic...is
that she same as going faster because its engine has been tuned? No it
isn't.
--

Cheers,

DrT

Old April 11th 11, 03:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil W Lee

DrTeeth considered Sun, 10 Apr 2011 00:16:40
+0100 the perfect time to write:

reverie and wrote:

Mine has that ability..'coding gain'

That is not exactly the same as modifying the SNRM.

Unless you know exactly what the code in the modem actually does, it's
not possible to be sure.
There is no guarantee that the person writing (or translating) the
interface even know what either is, much less how it is implemented.