MiFi2 on 3 network

Old April 18th 11, 05:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Benham

Default MiFi2 on 3 network

Wonder if there's anyone using one who can answer these two
questions please ?

Does the MiFi get a routeable IP address, or an RFC 1918 one ?

If it has a routeable address, does it respond to pings from t'internet ?

Essentially the real question is could I use my Hurricane Electric
6in4 tunnel with a MiFi ?
Old April 18th 11, 06:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
R.Giskard Reventlov

"Andrew Benham" wrote in message ...
Wonder if there's anyone using one who can answer these two
questions please ?
Does the MiFi get a routeable IP address, or an RFC 1918 one ?
If it has a routeable address, does it respond to pings from t'internet ?
Essentially the real question is could I use my Hurricane Electric
6in4 tunnel with a MiFi ?

Just got one of these!

In answer to your question its IP address when I just used it was
94.197.163.xxx and it did not reply to pings. Also I could not access a
small web server running on my Android Tablet from the internet when the
tablet was accessing the internet via the MiFi and I was on via my home
broadband connection.

HTH

Old April 18th 11, 11:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Theo Markettos

In uk.telecom.mobile R.Giskard Reventlov wrote:
In answer to your question its IP address when I just used it was
94.197.163.xxx and it did not reply to pings. Also I could not access a
small web server running on my Android Tablet from the internet when the
tablet was accessing the internet via the MiFi and I was on via my home
broadband connection.

I thought that Three gave you a global IP if you used the APN '3internet'
and an RFC1918 IP if you use APN 'three.co.uk', but it appears to be more
complicated than that, possibly tariff-dependent. If I'm on NAT I get an IP
of natXX.mia.three.co.uk (usually nat65, nat66, nat67). I think Three
block ping traffic.

The MiFi will do NAT for machines behind it, so I'm not surprised you can't
access a webserver on a machine which /will/ have a private IP.

Theo
Old April 20th 11, 07:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Benham

On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 18:09:45 +0100, R.Giskard Reventlov wrote:

In answer to your question its IP address when I just used it was
94.197.163.xxx and it did not reply to pings.

Thanks for the info. All part of my quest to have internet access
without paying line rental for a telephone line.