No Spare Ports On Router

Old April 19th 11, 08:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sean Black

Default No Spare Ports On Router

I've got a 4 port router for Sky broadband, I've currently got four
wired devices connected to it, I now need to connect another one, but
have obviously got no spare ethernet ports.

Am I right in thinking I just need an ethernet switch, connect the
switch to one of the ports and any other devices to the switch?
--
Sean Black

Old April 19th 11, 10:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sean Black

In message , Graham J
writes

"Sean Black" wrote in message
I've got a 4 port router for Sky broadband, I've currently got four wired
devices connected to it, I now need to connect another one, but have
obviously got no spare ethernet ports.

Am I right in thinking I just need an ethernet switch, connect the switch
to one of the ports and any other devices to the switch?

Correct.

Nice and simple then, thanks :-)
--
Sean Black
Old April 19th 11, 10:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Invalid

In message , Sean Black
writes
I've got a 4 port router for Sky broadband, I've currently got four
wired devices connected to it, I now need to connect another one, but
have obviously got no spare ethernet ports.

Am I right in thinking I just need an ethernet switch, connect the
switch to one of the ports and any other devices to the switch?

Yes.

One thing you might want to think about ( depending on the wired
devices you have attached and how you use them) is getting a Gigabit
switch. Connect all the fast devices to that and connect the router to
one of its ports.

A couple of my PC's have gigabit NICs (most modern ones will) and I
have a NAS device that also supports gigabit. A gigabit switch makes
file transfers and backups between them much quicker.

If the wired devices only use Ethernet to talk to the router, then a
10/100 switch will do fine.

--
Invalid
Old April 19th 11, 11:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Hayes

On Tue, 19 Apr 2011 09:09:51 +0100, Graham J wrote:

"Sean Black" wrote in message
I've got a 4 port router for Sky broadband, I've currently got four
wired devices connected to it, I now need to connect another one, but
have obviously got no spare ethernet ports.

Am I right in thinking I just need an ethernet switch, connect the
switch to one of the ports and any other devices to the switch?

Correct.

Also see if any of the existing 4 devices has a second ethernet port. If
so, you might be able to daisychain another device through it. I've done
this to connect a networked printer via an SPA3102 VOIP box.
Configuration of the existing device could be necessary and you'll want
to choose an undemanding device to be daisychained. Advantage: lower
power, less clutter and nothing to buy.

--
Steve Hayes, South Wales, UK - remove colours from address

Old April 19th 11, 04:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

On 19/04/2011 08:39, Sean Black wrote:
I've got a 4 port router for Sky broadband, I've currently got four
wired devices connected to it, I now need to connect another one, but
have obviously got no spare ethernet ports.

Am I right in thinking I just need an ethernet switch, connect the
switch to one of the ports and any other devices to the switch?

Yes, You could also use a spare router if you switch off its DHCP.

--
Michael Chare
Old April 19th 11, 10:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Zomaar

"Sean Black" wrote in message
I've got a 4 port router for Sky broadband, I've currently got four wired
devices connected to it, I now need to connect another one, but have
obviously got no spare ethernet ports.

Am I right in thinking I just need an ethernet switch, connect the switch
to one of the ports and any other devices to the switch?
--

Is it a wireless router? You could buy an 802.11n USB adaptor for less than
10 and connect your new or existing devices wirelessly

Old April 20th 11, 08:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sean Black

In message , Michael
Chare writes
On 19/04/2011 08:39, Sean Black wrote:
I've got a 4 port router for Sky broadband, I've currently got four
wired devices connected to it, I now need to connect another one, but
have obviously got no spare ethernet ports.

Am I right in thinking I just need an ethernet switch, connect the
switch to one of the ports and any other devices to the switch?

Yes, You could also use a spare router if you switch off its DHCP.

I've got a Netgear DG834GT, I'll give that a try, before I buy anything.
Just connect to it, get into the setup screen and there'll be somewhere
to switch DHCP off I presume?

--
Sean Black
Old April 20th 11, 11:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bernard Peek

On 20/04/11 08:41, Sean Black wrote:

I've got a Netgear DG834GT, I'll give that a try, before I buy anything.
Just connect to it, get into the setup screen and there'll be somewhere
to switch DHCP off I presume?

Yes. What I suggest you do is to configure it before you add it to the
network. If it has the same IP address as your other router you won't be
able to use them on the same network even temporarily.

First check what IP range your existing router uses. If its address is
192.168.0.1 then it will almost certainly require any new device to use
addresses between 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.254. Of these addresses it
will reserve some for use by its DHCP server, it may reserve a pool frpm
192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.100. In that case you would have all of the
addresses from 101 up to 254 available. Set the new router to use
192.168.0.101 and you should be OK.

--
Bernard Peek