TalkTalk Fibre Optic from May

Old April 30th 11, 05:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sleesey

Default TalkTalk Fibre Optic from May

I'm currently with TalkTalk and thinking about ording their Fiber Optic
service which says is available from May (Tmorrow)
Will I be able to order it just gone Midnight or will I have to wait till
Tuesday?

Old April 30th 11, 05:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

On 30/04/2011 in message Sleesey wrote:

I'm currently with TalkTalk and thinking about ording their Fiber Optic
service which says is available from May (Tmorrow)
Will I be able to order it just gone Midnight or will I have to wait till
Tuesday?

It's probably fibre optic if you want it in the UK.
Why don't you try at just past midnight and let us know?

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
This is as bad as it can get, but don't bet on it
Old May 3rd 11, 07:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Sleesey wrote:

I'm currently with TalkTalk and thinking about ording their Fiber Optic
service which says is available from May (Tmorrow)

Does it say it's available where *you* are? If BT didn't already offer
it for you in April, it's unlikely TalkTalk will offer it in May.
Old May 3rd 11, 08:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sleesey

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
Sleesey wrote:

I'm currently with TalkTalk and thinking about ording their Fiber Optic
service which says is available from May (Tmorrow)

Does it say it's available where *you* are? If BT didn't already offer
it for you in April, it's unlikely TalkTalk will offer it in May.

My exchange has been available for Fiber since March

Old May 3rd 11, 09:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Sleesey wrote:

My exchange has been available for Fiber since March

What's TalkTalk's FTTC price then? Compared to BT Retail, or Plusnet?

Old May 3rd 11, 09:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sleesey

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
Sleesey wrote:

My exchange has been available for Fiber since March

What's TalkTalk's FTTC price then? Compared to BT Retail, or Plusnet?

https://sales.talktalk.co.uk/product...e-optic/check/
25 25 activation fee and 10 per month

Old May 3rd 11, 02:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave N

Sleesey wrote, on 03/05/2011 09:47:

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
Sleesey wrote:

My exchange has been available for Fiber since March

What's TalkTalk's FTTC price then? Compared to BT Retail, or Plusnet?

https://sales.talktalk.co.uk/product...e-optic/check/
25 25 activation fee and 10 per month

Hmmm. Cost is 10ukp/month for the FTTC "boost" package in addition to
the existing broadband package, which must be "Essentials" or "Plus".
There is an 18 month contract for the FTTC "boost" package, and zero
information provided about the upload speed so it must be presumed to be
up to 2Mbps. Both of the prerequisite core packages are a combined
voice and broadband service so presumably that entails a MPF migration
of the line to TalkTalk, with all that implies for ease of migration
away in the future. There is an additional line rental of
12.60ukp/month payable to TalkTalk on top of the package fees, as you
would with a BT line.

The ISP industry is becoming more and more like our esteemed utilities
sector as each month passes. Up to now, one only needs a degree of
expertise in spreadsheets to be able to work out the actual costs and
contractual obligations whilst taking into account bandwidth limits and
excess charges, but soon we will need higher degrees in mathematics and
deductive logic in order to have any chance of understanding what
exactly is being provided and, more importantly, what has been
deliberately glossed-over or left out. The varied and ballooning
inter-related conditions and contingent requirements when coupled with
convoluted wording used by marketing departments, are now getting beyond
a joke.

For example, if you have an existing 12 month contract for their "Plus"
package ("unlimited" at 14.99ukp/month) which reaches its end after,
say, 9 months into an 18 month contract for the FTTC "boost" package,
what are the remaining liabilities if you choose to migrate away? If
you did manage to migrate away, logic indicates that you would still be
liable for the remaining 9 months of FTTC "boost" (90ukp).

If you choose to stay with TalkTalk in those circumstances would you be
required to renew the "Plus" package for another 12 months whilst the
FTTC "boost" package expires in only 9 months? If you did renew the
"Plus" package for another 12 months, would you subsequently be required
to renew the FTTC "boost" package for another 18 months when that
expired in 9 months time? I think it is important to keep in mind that
whilst TalkTalk has possession of your telephone line (MPF) it is
impossible to get a broadband service from any other supplier.

Working out the total cost of using their service, for different
circumstances, is not straightforward. TalkTalk's billing department is
not exactly recognised as a beacon of accuracy and best practice, let
alone their sales department who have failed to build themselves a
spotless reputation for accurate record keeping of terms agreed over the
'phone.

/rant against the world, or 'contra mundum'

--
Dave N