A more reliable Linksys WRT54G ?

Old May 3rd 11, 03:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter

Default A more reliable Linksys WRT54G ?

Hi All,

I have a system with a Draytek 2900 router for the outside, and a
WRT54G on the inside of that which does some basic ethernet-ethernet
port forwarding.

I find, periodically, that the Linksys just stops working. Obviously I
have no way to find out what exactly has stopped working, but normal
internet access (for a PC on the inside network) works OK, but
incoming PC/Anywhere access (for which the router is mainly there,
apart from providing a 2nd layer of NAT) doesn't work.

Resetting the router (power off/on) fixes it.

Is there a more robust box anyone could recommend?

I know Cisco boxes are very good but neither I nor anybody I know (who
is affordable ) knows how to configure them
Old May 3rd 11, 04:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Peter wrote:

I find, periodically, that the Linksys just stops working.
Is there a more robust box anyone could recommend?

Install openWRT on your existing WRT54G ...

Old May 4th 11, 11:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter

Andy Burns wrote:

Peter wrote:

I find, periodically, that the Linksys just stops working.
Is there a more robust box anyone could recommend?

Install openWRT on your existing WRT54G ...

One would need to be a serious unix hacker to know how to do that.

I already told you that Cisco routers are impenetrable
Old May 4th 11, 11:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Peter wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Install openWRT on your existing WRT54G ...

One would need to be a serious unix hacker to know how to do that.
I already told you that Cisco routers are impenetrable

Not so, it's a simple as downloading the correct firmware file, then
from within the router's web interface telling it to upload that as an
upgrade, when it reboots, you'll still have a web interface, you can
ignore the SSH based command line if you wish ...

Of course, like any firmware upgrade, there is a risk of something going
wrong and "bricking" the device but you appear to have reached the point
where you are considering "binning" it anyway?

Though I do understand the "know your limitations" philisophy, if you do
decide to buy another router, give openWTT a go on your old one anyway :-P