Orange Mobile Broadband extremely slow download speed most of the time

Old May 4th 11, 02:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Broadband King

Default Orange Mobile Broadband extremely slow download speed most of the time

Orange Dolphin 3gb plan with unlimited download midnight to 4am
eMail to Orange, again:
No doubt others have similar problems, did you get them resolved ?

Also an email address to Orange that works, not orange @orange.com, it
doesn't work anymore

For WEEKS now I have been complaining about my extremely low download
speed using Orange Mobile Broadband. Very occasionaly I achieve 2.4mb/
s. However, most of the time it is below 0.3mb/s, yes that's right
0.3mb/s, one EIGHTEETH of what it can be. I have written secure
messages many times, you have even rung me up a FEW times, all to no
avail. I was finally put through to a technical person last week, who
checked and explained that my local Orange mast was faulty, and had
been for a while, but was due to be repaired or replaced yesterday,
Tuesday 3rd May, and to this extent the techy was going to ring me
back at 10am, 3 hours ago, and even said he had put it in his diary.
However, again checking my download speed last night, this morning and
just now, the speed was so low as to be un measurable. Was the mast
not repaired ?
Even at midnight to 4am, when the network is most unused, I get very
low download speeds, so low the broadband will not load pictures in
web pages, not load the webpages at all, orjust give up the ghost.
This needs some serious investigation on your part.
I am using a 1752 dongle with the latest upgraded software, and until
a couple of months ago was achieving 2.4 mb/s on a regular basis, just
what has gone wrong with your service?
Old May 4th 11, 02:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Broadband King wrote:

Very occasionaly I achieve 2.4mb/s.
However, most of the time it is below 0.3mb/s

Do you have any way of telling if/when the dongle is connected using
different protocols (e.g. HSDPA, UMTS, 3G, EDGE, GPRS)?
Old May 4th 11, 02:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Broadband King

On May 4, 2:55*pm, Andy Burns wrote:
Broadband King wrote:
Very occasionaly I achieve 2.4mb/s.
However, most of the time it is below 0.3mb/s

Do you have any way of telling if/when the dongle is connected using
different protocols (e.g. HSDPA, UMTS, 3G, EDGE, GPRS)?

Yes, the Orange dongle icon / software shows this

I have tried GPRS and UMTS, the two options available, no difference I
can tell

I also have the option of 2G, 3G, or auto, again little difference.
Old May 4th 11, 03:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Broadband King

On May 4, 2:48*pm, Broadband King wrote:
Orange Dolphin 3gb plan with unlimited download midnight to 4am
eMail to Orange, again:
No doubt others have similar problems, did you get them resolved ?

Also an email address to Orange that works, not orange @orange.com, it
doesn't work anymore

For WEEKS now I have been complaining about my extremely low download
speed using Orange Mobile Broadband. Very occasionaly I achieve 2.4mb/
s. However, most of the time it is below 0.3mb/s, yes that's right
0.3mb/s, one EIGHTEETH of what it can be.

Typo, should be less than 0.03mb/s .....
Old May 4th 11, 06:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Broadband King wrote:
On May 4, 2:48 pm, Broadband King wrote:
Orange Dolphin 3gb plan with unlimited download midnight to 4am
eMail to Orange, again:
No doubt others have similar problems, did you get them resolved ?

Also an email address to Orange that works, not orange @orange.com, it
doesn't work anymore

For WEEKS now I have been complaining about my extremely low download
speed using Orange Mobile Broadband. Very occasionaly I achieve 2.4mb/
s. However, most of the time it is below 0.3mb/s, yes that's right
0.3mb/s, one EIGHTEETH of what it can be.

Typo, should be less than 0.03mb/s .....

More than I ever got on a 3mobile dongle. I did see 14.4k once, for
almost three minutes, before it dropped to 2400, and then vanished
altogether.

Chances are its pure congestion at the local transmitter.

Old May 4th 11, 06:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Broadband King wrote:

I have tried GPRS and UMTS, the two options available, no difference I
can tell

I also have the option of 2G, 3G, or auto, again little difference.

How many bars of signal? Are you in a city centre, urban sprawl, or out
in the sticks? What does their coverage map predict for your area?

Old May 4th 11, 09:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
stephen

On Wed, 4 May 2011 07:01:03 -0700 (PDT), Broadband King
wrote:

On May 4, 2:48*pm, Broadband King wrote:
Orange Dolphin 3gb plan with unlimited download midnight to 4am
eMail to Orange, again:
No doubt others have similar problems, did you get them resolved ?

Also an email address to Orange that works, not orange @orange.com, it
doesn't work anymore

For WEEKS now I have been complaining about my extremely low download
speed using Orange Mobile Broadband. Very occasionaly I achieve 2.4mb/
s. However, most of the time it is below 0.3mb/s, yes that's right
0.3mb/s, one EIGHTEETH of what it can be.

Typo, should be less than 0.03mb/s .....

GPRS will struggle to get above 40 Kbps....

it is worth mentioning that the various wireless protocols all operate
with a shared channel, so the headline speed reported by the dongle is
unlikely to be available to just your connection.
--
Regards

- replace xyz with ntl
Old May 5th 11, 12:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Broadband King

wrote:
[...]

Whatever the speed shown, I can see that the connection is very slow,
when the speed is measured as very slow

3 out of 5 bars on signal strength, urban small town, coverage map
good, ok speed up till 2 months ago, Orange mentioned local TX fault,
obviously still not corrected, received a tech text download last
night, now an abysmal 100kb per MINUTE.
Old May 5th 11, 09:48 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Broadband King

[...]

Orange email 5th May:
I am sorry that you are experiencing problems with your mobile
broadband and apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Please be advised that I have investigated this issue and the mast
continues to be down in your area and this may be the cause of the
problem. Our engineers are aware of this issue, however it would not
be possible to confirm when this will be resolved. It will be
resolved as soon as practically possible. I am sorry for any
disappointment that this may cause.
Old May 5th 11, 10:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Broadband King wrote:

Please be advised that I have investigated this issue and the mast
continues to be down in your area and this may be the cause of the
problem. Our engineers are aware of this issue, however it would not
be possible to confirm when this will be resolved.

That sort of excuse from Orange's first-line staff is highly likely to
be pure bull****!

A large organisation that I do work for uses Orange as their sole mobile
network (for individual's phones and to despatch and monitor emergency
service vehicles).

When reporting complaints of "no service", Orange often trot out the
"there's been a mast down in your area for several days/weeks" excuse,
but whenever you get to speak to a proper engineer, they say that all
their masts are covered by repair agreements that will see them back on
the air within hours ... as you'd expect.

What sort of speed do you get if you take your dongle somewhere else
with a known good signal?