Terminating CAT 5 cables

Old May 7th 11, 02:24 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.adverts.computer
Aosmosis

Default Terminating CAT 5 cables

I have a 6 pairs of CAT5 cables that have no RJ45 connectors, 1 of
which carries the signal from my ADSL router.
Is there anything that exists that combines all the wires so the other
5 wires have internet. Worst case would be to crimp all the wires with
RJ45s and plug them into a hub.
What I am looking for is like a punch down terminal board so they all
get combined.

Where can I get one from?

Many thanks.
Old May 7th 11, 02:43 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.adverts.computer
Rob Morley

On Sat, 7 May 2011 05:24:27 -0700 (PDT)
Aosmosis wrote:

I have a 6 pairs of CAT5 cables that have no RJ45 connectors, 1 of
which carries the signal from my ADSL router.
Is there anything that exists that combines all the wires so the other
5 wires have internet. Worst case would be to crimp all the wires with
RJ45s and plug them into a hub.
What I am looking for is like a punch down terminal board so they all
get combined.

Your "worst case" is the only way to go, the hub in this case will
presumably be a switch, which is smarter than a dumb hub, which in turn
is more than just something that connects the wires together.

Old May 7th 11, 03:27 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.adverts.computer
Species8472

On 5/7/2011 1:24 PM, Aosmosis wrote:
I have a 6 pairs of CAT5 cables that have no RJ45 connectors, 1 of
which carries the signal from my ADSL router.
Is there anything that exists that combines all the wires so the other
5 wires have internet. Worst case would be to crimp all the wires with
RJ45s and plug them into a hub.
What I am looking for is like a punch down terminal board so they all
get combined.

Where can I get one from?

Many thanks.

The cables are point to point, not a bus - so they will need to be
individually terminated by something "electronic". You cannot just
connect them in parallel, for "internet" use.

There are things such as the following, which avoids the need to put
connectors on the ends of your wires - but you still need patch cables
and something "electronic" for the other ends of the patch cables to
plug into - eg a hub or switch.

http://www.jksystemsllc.com/cp-h628.pdf
Old May 7th 11, 04:12 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.adverts.computer
Rob Morley

On Sat, 7 May 2011 14:41:50 +0100
"Zapp Brannigan" wrote:

Aosmosis wrote:
I have a 6 pairs of CAT5 cables that have no RJ45 connectors, 1 of
which carries the signal from my ADSL router.
Is there anything that exists that combines all the wires so the
other 5 wires have internet. Worst case would be to crimp all the
wires with RJ45s and plug them into a hub.
What I am looking for is like a punch down terminal board so they
all get combined.

Crimping RJ45's on each cable and buying an 8-port switch is the only
sensible option.

Not necessarily - as someone else pointed out he could use RJ45
sockets with punchdown connectors then run patch cables to the
switch. I tend to just run long patch cables where they're needed,
drilling holes in ceilings as I go, but this house was built long before
anyone had thought of structured cabling and doesn't have utility ducts
for central heating or anything else.

Old May 8th 11, 12:05 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.adverts.computer
Tim Streater

In article
,
Aosmosis wrote:

I have a 6 pairs of CAT5 cables that have no RJ45 connectors, 1 of
which carries the signal from my ADSL router.
Is there anything that exists that combines all the wires so the other
5 wires have internet. Worst case would be to crimp all the wires with
RJ45s and plug them into a hub.
What I am looking for is like a punch down terminal board so they all
get combined.

That is not how twisted pair ethernet is designed to work. Even if you
were able to do that, the router would keep seeing different MAC
addresses at the other end and would get confused. Further, I expect
collision detection would fail to work properly also, so you might well
see a lot of dropped packets on your "LAN".

Had this problem at SLAC when I worked there,although this was on a
thin-net segment rather than twisted pair. The segment was already near
maximum legal length, but ****ing physicists thought they knew better,
and extended its length with some of their own 50-ohm cable. But it was
very thin, so its DC resistance was quite high, and collision detection
failed. Lots of dropped packets, and complaints from other users on that
segment.

In short, terminate those cables with RJ45 connectors and but a switch.

--
Tim

Old May 8th 11, 10:33 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.adverts.computer
John Weston

On Sun, 8 May 2011 19:16:16 +0100, Zapp Brannigan wrote:

Agreed, but installing a patch panel is just another layer of cost and
complexity. If it's a fixed installation, he might as well just plug the
cable ends straight into the switch.

Providing he doesn't want to do much unplugging and
plugging of the probably already installed solid cables, it
might be OK - but I wouldn't want to risk the few pounds it
might save, since he will need the correct plugs for solid
wire that are harder to install correctly and these aren't
as reliable if the wire is frequently flexed, IME. If he
has used stranded cable throughout then he's just got long
patch cables so this is acceptable, if it meets curent and
anticipaed future needs

I'm not advocating a full patch panel. Terminate the six
fixed cables into six wall-mounted fixed sockets and use
short patch cables from them to an unmanaged switch; e.g.
1Gbps 8-way? - 6 for the house LAN, 1 for the router and
the other for a future NAS; or whatever is at the other
end.

Do it once and do it right

--
John W
Old May 9th 11, 10:19 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.adverts.computer
SteveH

Rob Morley wrote:
On Sat, 7 May 2011 14:41:50 +0100
"Zapp Brannigan" wrote:

Aosmosis wrote:
I have a 6 pairs of CAT5 cables that have no RJ45 connectors, 1 of
which carries the signal from my ADSL router.
Is there anything that exists that combines all the wires so the
other 5 wires have internet. Worst case would be to crimp all the
wires with RJ45s and plug them into a hub.
What I am looking for is like a punch down terminal board so they
all get combined.

Crimping RJ45's on each cable and buying an 8-port switch is the only
sensible option.

Not necessarily - as someone else pointed out he could use RJ45
sockets with punchdown connectors then run patch cables to the
switch. I tend to just run long patch cables where they're needed,
drilling holes in ceilings as I go, but this house was built long
before anyone had thought of structured cabling and doesn't have
utility ducts for central heating or anything else.

Homeplug adapters?

--
SteveH

Old May 9th 11, 03:51 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.adverts.computer
Rob Morley

On Mon, 9 May 2011 09:19:36 +0100
"SteveH" wrote:

Rob Morley wrote:
I tend to just run long patch cables where they're needed,
drilling holes in ceilings as I go, but this house was built long
before anyone had thought of structured cabling and doesn't have
utility ducts for central heating or anything else.

Homeplug adapters?

Nasty things. I don't have a problem running ad hoc cables, if it was
an issue I'd probably install proper fixed cabling behind skirting
boards or under the floor.

Old May 9th 11, 09:21 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.adverts.computer
Mad Ad

On 07/05/2011 13:24, Aosmosis wrote:
I have a 6 pairs of CAT5 cables that have no RJ45 connectors, 1 of
which carries the signal from my ADSL router.
Is there anything that exists that combines all the wires so the other
5 wires have internet. Worst case would be to crimp all the wires with
RJ45s and plug them into a hub.
What I am looking for is like a punch down terminal board so they all
get combined.

Where can I get one from?

Many thanks.

youve had several reasons why you shouldnt do it, but if you are
determined, you can solve the connection problem with an old telephone
socket if you dont fancy soldering or clamping them with a bolt or
something. Telecom sockets have fairly long punch down channels, could
get half a dozen in one easy