BT FTTC infinity switch procedure

Old May 9th 11, 10:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
srt

Default BT FTTC infinity switch procedure

Hi,
I am soon to take up a new BB and telephone service with BT.
It will be utilising the 10gb limit as a starter but I understand my area is
to go fibre shortly and would like to take this up as soon as its available.
The address checker of BT wholesale says cabinet is planned to WBC FTTC by
30th June.
Is there anything special I need to do to get this underway besides just
informing BT of my interest?
I am thinking would it be better if I had the "40gb" or "unlimited" options
as they seem to suggest that there would be no 25 activation charge
Any ideas appreciated.
Thanks .
Stuart.

Old May 9th 11, 12:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DrTeeth

On Mon, 9 May 2011 10:24:35 +0100, just as I was about to take a herb,
"SRT" disturbed my reverie and wrote:

Any ideas appreciated.

Avoid BT for BB. Their support is a total disaster. You have been
warned.
--

Cheers,

DrT

Old May 9th 11, 12:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

DrTeeth wrote:
On Mon, 9 May 2011 10:24:35 +0100, just as I was about to take a herb,
"SRT" disturbed my reverie and wrote:

Any ideas appreciated.

Avoid BT for BB. Their support is a total disaster. You have been
warned.

+1

Also Tiscali, AOL and Virgin. Only consider virgin over cable, and its
still pretty shoddy.

Pay more and go independent.
Old May 9th 11, 01:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian

DrTeeth wrote:
On Mon, 9 May 2011 10:24:35 +0100, just as I was about to take a herb,
"SRT" disturbed my reverie and wrote:

Any ideas appreciated.

Avoid BT for BB. Their support is a total disaster. You have been
warned.

Aw give over. They are a huge company with a huge customer base, most of
whom are perfectly satisfied with the service they get. Admittedly, their
support isn't brilliant but many, many thousands of their customers never
need support - I certainly haven't and I've been with them since the days of
dial-up on 14.4kbps modems, ie, since about 1995 or '96, and never needed to
call support at all.

Old May 9th 11, 01:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
srt

"Brian" wrote in message ...

DrTeeth wrote:
On Mon, 9 May 2011 10:24:35 +0100, just as I was about to take a herb,
"SRT" disturbed my reverie and wrote:

Any ideas appreciated.

Avoid BT for BB. Their support is a total disaster. You have been
warned.

Aw give over. They are a huge company with a huge customer base, most of
whom are perfectly satisfied with the service they get. Admittedly, their
support isn't brilliant but many, many thousands of their customers never
need support - I certainly haven't and I've been with them since the days of
dial-up on 14.4kbps modems, ie, since about 1995 or '96, and never needed to
call support at all.

Ok - - I get it that BT may have dodgy support but I am ending an experience
with sky which has been diabolical of late.
This weekend they cut off my phone for three days and my bb is still flaky
syncing at way below the most I could get which was 3700kbps.
I raised a fault issue back in March and have been passed around all over
the place with still no resolution and syncing at 1350kbps!
Fibre has to be better than that I think.

Old May 9th 11, 02:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

On 09/05/11 13:17, Brian wrote:
DrTeeth wrote:
On Mon, 9 May 2011 10:24:35 +0100, just as I was about to take a herb,
disturbed my reverie and wrote:

Any ideas appreciated.

Avoid BT for BB. Their support is a total disaster. You have been
warned.

Aw give over. They are a huge company with a huge customer base, most of
whom are perfectly satisfied with the service they get. Admittedly, their
support isn't brilliant but many, many thousands of their customers never
need support

That's true of practically all ISPs and telecoms providers: most
customers are happy and many thousands never need support.

However, in a recent OFCOM study, BT does worse, as a *proportion* of
it's user-base, than Virgin and Sky, but better than TalkTalk
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/04...er_complaints/

As you say, most people won't notice the difference, but why take the
risk, and give your hard-earned to someone with known issues, when there
are better alternatives?
Old May 9th 11, 03:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Brian wrote:
DrTeeth wrote:
On Mon, 9 May 2011 10:24:35 +0100, just as I was about to take a herb,
"SRT" disturbed my reverie and wrote:

Any ideas appreciated.

Avoid BT for BB. Their support is a total disaster. You have been
warned.

Aw give over. They are a huge company with a huge customer base, most of
whom are perfectly satisfied with the service they get. Admittedly, their
support isn't brilliant but many, many thousands of their customers never
need support - I certainly haven't and I've been with them since the days of
dial-up on 14.4kbps modems, ie, since about 1995 or '96, and never needed to
call support at all.

Its the day you do, that you curse them.

They are more expesnive and have worse support than almost any other
ISP, whichever way you cut the cost/support situation. I..e even at the
cheap end, they are poor value for money.

Unless you want to be part of Janes Baybee, there is no rational reason
to use BT over any other supplier.
Old May 9th 11, 05:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DrTeeth

On Mon, 9 May 2011 13:17:21 +0100, just as I was about to take a herb,
"Brian" disturbed my reverie and wrote:

Aw give over. They are a huge company with a huge customer base, most of
whom are perfectly satisfied with the service they get

Some friends of mine won't change from BT as they are 'afraid'; their
words, not mine.

Just because they have many customers does not mean that they are the
best. I cannot imagine one of their directors sending his BTO modem to
you to keep you going when BT fecks up the engineer's visits.
--

Cheers,

DrT

Old May 9th 11, 05:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DrTeeth

On Mon, 09 May 2011 15:00:32 +0100, just as I was about to take a
herb, The Natural Philosopher disturbed my
reverie and wrote:

They are more expesnive and have worse support than almost any other
ISP, whichever way you cut the cost/support situation. I..e even at the
cheap end, they are poor value for money.

Lets not forget their 18 month tie-in compared to most others 12.
--

Cheers,

DrT

Old May 9th 11, 09:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Michael Chare

Brian wrote:
DrTeeth wrote:
On Mon, 9 May 2011 10:24:35 +0100, just as I was about to take a herb,
"SRT" disturbed my reverie and wrote:

Any ideas appreciated.
Avoid BT for BB. Their support is a total disaster. You have been
warned.

Aw give over. They are a huge company with a huge customer base, most
of whom are perfectly satisfied with the service they get. Admittedly,
their support isn't brilliant but many, many thousands of their
customers never need support - I certainly haven't and I've been with
them since the days of dial-up on 14.4kbps modems, ie, since about
1995 or '96, and never needed to call support at all.

Its the day you do, that you curse them.

They are more expesnive and have worse support than almost any other
ISP, whichever way you cut the cost/support situation. I..e even at the
cheap end, they are poor value for money.

From what I have read their FTTC prices are very competitive. See
spreadsheet on http://www.robertos.me.uk/html/isps_offering_fttc.html

--
Michael Chare