Have you received a higher than expected mobile, landline orbroadband bill?

Old May 19th 11, 03:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
CJB

Default Have you received a higher than expected mobile, landline orbroadband bill?

Ofcom is today asking consumers to get in touch if they have received
a higher than expected mobile, landline or broadband bill in the past
12 months.

Consumers can sometimes find themselves faced with bills for
unexpected costs such as using their mobile abroad, making more calls
than their monthly allowance, having their phone stolen, calling
expensive or premium rate numbers, or downloading data.

http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/2011/0...er-experience/

Old May 20th 11, 11:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

On Thu, 19 May 2011 07:49:14 -0700 (PDT), CJB
wrote:

Ofcom is today asking consumers to get in touch if they have received
a higher than expected mobile, landline or broadband bill in the past
12 months.

Is there anyone who hasn't?
--
(\__/) M.

Old May 20th 11, 04:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

wrote:

Ofcom is today asking consumers to get in touch if they have received
a higher than expected mobile, landline or broadband bill in the past
12 months.

Is there anyone who hasn't?

Me for one.
Got my BT quarterly statement today which shows I'm eight quid in credit!
;-)

George
Old May 20th 11, 08:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

George Weston wrote:
On 20/05/2011 11:04, Mark wrote:
wrote:

Ofcom is today asking consumers to get in touch if they have received
a higher than expected mobile, landline or broadband bill in the past
12 months.

Is there anyone who hasn't?

Me for one.
Got my BT quarterly statement today which shows I'm eight quid in credit!

Watch out then ... that will mean they don't need to take a direct debit
payment ... which might mean they charge you extra for *not* paying by
direct debit ...
Old May 20th 11, 08:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

On 20/05/2011 20:31, Andy Burns wrote:
George Weston wrote:
On 20/05/2011 11:04, Mark wrote:
wrote:

Ofcom is today asking consumers to get in touch if they have received
a higher than expected mobile, landline or broadband bill in the past
12 months.

Is there anyone who hasn't?

Me for one.
Got my BT quarterly statement today which shows I'm eight quid in credit!

Watch out then ... that will mean they don't need to take a direct debit
payment ... which might mean they charge you extra for *not* paying by
direct debit ...

Erm... no, I *do* pay by direct debit!

George
Old May 20th 11, 10:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

George Weston wrote:

I *do* pay by direct debit!

Yes ... and if you're in credit they won't take a debit, I've seen
people here say that this *lack* of direct debit for the month caused
them to lose the discount associated with paying via direct debit!

Old May 20th 11, 10:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

On 20/05/2011 22:09, Andy Burns wrote:
George Weston wrote:

I *do* pay by direct debit!

Yes ... and if you're in credit they won't take a debit, I've seen
people here say that this *lack* of direct debit for the month caused
them to lose the discount associated with paying via direct debit!

It's never happened to me yet.
The last statement was 19 in credit and it didn't happen then - or now
for that matter
Old May 21st 11, 06:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
DavidD

wrote:

Ofcom is today asking consumers to get in touch if they have received
a higher than expected mobile, landline or broadband bill in the past
12 months.

Is there anyone who hasn't?

Me for one.
Got my BT quarterly statement today which shows I'm eight quid in credit!
;-)

George

So you are lending BT money - how much interest do they pay?
Old May 21st 11, 10:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

wrote:

Ofcom is today asking consumers to get in touch if they have received
a higher than expected mobile, landline or broadband bill in the past
12 months.

Is there anyone who hasn't?

Me for one.
Got my BT quarterly statement today which shows I'm eight quid in credit!
;-)

George

So you are lending BT money - how much interest do they pay?

Sometimes it's a bit up, sometimes a bit down - it all evens up over
time, so I'm not bovvered.
Nineteen quid a month, including line rental, with all calls inclusive
except for calls to mobiles, which I don't do much.
I'm happy with that. What's the problem?

George
Old May 22nd 11, 02:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.mobile,uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
Michael R N Dolbear

Andy Burns wrote

George Weston wrote:

I *do* pay by direct debit!

Yes ... and if you're in credit they won't take a debit, I've seen
people here say that this *lack* of direct debit for the month caused
them to lose the discount associated with paying via direct debit!

As discussed two years and more ago under "BT stands on its head" BT no
longer offers a DD Discount.

There is still a differential, but it is expressed by the DD folk
paying the /standard/ charge while those who pay otherwise are requred
to pay a surcharge.

Since the DD folk didn't "pay otherwise" there is no longer a logical
basis for what you describe and indeed those in credit who normally
"pay otherwise" have a case for not owing the surcharge either.

--
Mike D