Two wifi routers...

Old May 23rd 11, 03:58 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.homebuilt
Jake

Default Two wifi routers...

Can I do this...

Connect two wifi routers for the purposes of having two wireless networks in
different parts of the house.

Router 1 (Dell Truemobile 2300), DHCP on, cable from cable modem attached to
Dell's WAN port, IP range 192.168.2.x, SSID Name: Network 1

Router 2 (Netgear WGR614v6) DHCP on, cable from Dell's LAN 4 port going to
Netgear's WAN port, IP range 192.168.1.x, SSID Name: Network 2.

Or do I have to configure them differently?

Old May 23rd 11, 07:18 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.homebuilt
Philip Herlihy

"Jake" wrote in message
Can I do this...

Connect two wifi routers for the purposes of having two wireless networks
in different parts of the house.

Router 1 (Dell Truemobile 2300), DHCP on, cable from cable modem attached
to Dell's WAN port, IP range 192.168.2.x, SSID Name: Network 1

Router 2 (Netgear WGR614v6) DHCP on, cable from Dell's LAN 4 port going to
Netgear's WAN port, IP range 192.168.1.x, SSID Name: Network 2.

Or do I have to configure them differently?

Can't see any reason that won't work, although you'd want to make sure the
channels are different. In Europe it's normal to use Ch 1, 6, 11, although
some routers will have an 'auto' setting and pick something in between. You
need five channels difference to minimise interference. It's worth using a
sniffer like Netstumbler to see what other networks are active around you,
and on what channels - the Windows tools don't reveal the channel.

Many newer wireless routers can act as a relay, simply amplifying the signal
they pick up and re-broadcasting it. This means (I was recently told by
someone I take to be an expert) that your affinity can move between access
points seamlessly. I understand that there is a loss of speed, though, as
the process has a fairly high overhead. Yet again, many routers can also be
configured to act as a 'bridge', so that they receive wireless signals and
deliver them to one or more Ethernet ports. Note that mixing brands in
these scenarios can be problematic, although I've sometimes managed to get
mixed devices to work together this way (shouldn't affect your original
suggestion). Alternatively, an 802.11N (note the 'N') WAP can reach parts
that other WAPs can't (provided you have N grade wireless adapters) - one
'N' WAP should cover a large house.

Personally, I'd never use wireless if cable is a feasible option.

Phil, London

Old May 24th 11, 12:13 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.homebuilt
Michael Chare

On 23/05/2011 19:18, Philip Herlihy wrote:

"Jake" wrote in message
Can I do this...

Connect two wifi routers for the purposes of having two wireless
networks in different parts of the house.

Router 1 (Dell Truemobile 2300), DHCP on, cable from cable modem
attached to Dell's WAN port, IP range 192.168.2.x, SSID Name: Network 1

Router 2 (Netgear WGR614v6) DHCP on, cable from Dell's LAN 4 port
going to Netgear's WAN port, IP range 192.168.1.x, SSID Name: Network 2.

Or do I have to configure them differently?

I have two routers connected together by their LAN ports.

DHCP is switched off in the router without a Wan connection, and both
routers use the same SSID and password. (But then I don't have any cable
routers.)

--
Michael Chare
Old May 24th 11, 10:04 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
HappyHunter

On 23/05/2011 15:58, Jake wrote:
Can I do this...

Connect two wifi routers for the purposes of having two wireless networks in
different parts of the house.

Router 1 (Dell Truemobile 2300), DHCP on, cable from cable modem attached to
Dell's WAN port, IP range 192.168.2.x, SSID Name: Network 1

Router 2 (Netgear WGR614v6) DHCP on, cable from Dell's LAN 4 port going to
Netgear's WAN port, IP range 192.168.1.x, SSID Name: Network 2.

Or do I have to configure them differently?

Hi,

connect LAN port to LAN port. Do you want them on different IP networks
? Personally, I'd switch off DHCP on the second router and have them all
on the same IP network. Not convinced it would work otherwise, not sure
that home routers like these are designed to route IP traffic between 2
lans like your proposing in your config above. Certainly not intended
for that.

I have one IP network on my network, one DHCP server (the router), and 2
other access points. Each access point uses a different wireless network
name eg Network1 network3 network3, each serving different parts of the
property. They've all got different names so that I know if someone is
having a problem connecting, which one their machine is trying to
connect to.

I'm not familiar with cable modems. What is it your are trying to achieve ?
Old May 25th 11, 12:30 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.homebuilt
Philip Herlihy

o.uk...

"Jake" wrote in message
Can I do this...

Connect two wifi routers for the purposes of having two wireless
networks in different parts of the house.

Router 1 (Dell Truemobile 2300), DHCP on, cable from cable modem
attached to Dell's WAN port, IP range 192.168.2.x, SSID Name: Network 1

Router 2 (Netgear WGR614v6) DHCP on, cable from Dell's LAN 4 port
going to Netgear's WAN port, IP range 192.168.1.x, SSID Name: Network 2.

Or do I have to configure them differently?

I have two routers connected together by their LAN ports.

DHCP is switched off in the router without a Wan connection, and both
routers use the same SSID and password. (But then I don't have any cable
routers.)

That just seems weird to me. Do both have wireless clients? Curious to
know more...

Phil

Old May 25th 11, 09:00 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.homebuilt
Alex Fraser

"Jake" wrote in message
Can I do this...

Connect two wifi routers for the purposes of having two wireless
networks in different parts of the house.

Router 1 (Dell Truemobile 2300), DHCP on, cable from cable modem
attached to Dell's WAN port, IP range 192.168.2.x, SSID Name: Network 1

Router 2 (Netgear WGR614v6) DHCP on, cable from Dell's LAN 4 port
going to Netgear's WAN port, IP range 192.168.1.x, SSID Name:
Network 2.

Or do I have to configure them differently?

I have two routers connected together by their LAN ports.

DHCP is switched off in the router without a Wan connection, and both
routers use the same SSID and password. (But then I don't have any
cable routers.)

That just seems weird to me. Do both have wireless clients? Curious to
know more...

Seems perfectly normal to me - it means the router without a WAN
connection is acting purely as a bridge between each of its LAN ports
and its wireless interface.

Although Michael's configuration uses an extra LAN port, it means that
you only have a single network of all wired and wireless devices. I
expect the OP's suggestion would work fine for most Internet access but
has the limitation that connecting to devices attached (physically or by
wireless) to Router 2 from those attached to Router 1 would require port
forwarding to be configured on Router 2.

Alex
Old May 26th 11, 12:46 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.homebuilt
Michael Chare

"Jake" wrote in message
Can I do this...

Connect two wifi routers for the purposes of having two wireless
networks in different parts of the house.

Router 1 (Dell Truemobile 2300), DHCP on, cable from cable modem
attached to Dell's WAN port, IP range 192.168.2.x, SSID Name: Network 1

Router 2 (Netgear WGR614v6) DHCP on, cable from Dell's LAN 4 port
going to Netgear's WAN port, IP range 192.168.1.x, SSID Name:
Network 2.

Or do I have to configure them differently?

I have two routers connected together by their LAN ports.

DHCP is switched off in the router without a Wan connection, and both
routers use the same SSID and password. (But then I don't have any
cable routers.)

That just seems weird to me. Do both have wireless clients? Curious to
know more...

Phil

Yes, they can. Most things I have used wired connections.

--
Michael Chare
Old May 26th 11, 08:29 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.homebuilt
Philip Herlihy

"Jake" wrote in message
[...]

I think I get it. He's effectively using the second WAP as a switch (all
connections on the same subnet), not a router (mediating between two
different subnets). If I'm right about this, then if all the devices are
picking up from the same DHCP server, then port-forwarding might not be
needed?

I was also puzzled that both used the same SSID and key. Although I believe
the physical-layer protocol is based on a MAC-address (or something like
that - note vagueness of understanding!), I think I've read that SSIDs can
cause conflicts if they are duplicated within broadcast range - unless one
is configured as a repeater. The SSID is certainly part of the connection
process, as you have to supply the SSID when configuring a profile to
connect to a WAP which is not broadcasting its SSID.

Wireless networking is a black art, and I'm increasingly convinced the
secret is to say *exactly* the right number of Hail-Marys when setting up...

Phil

Old May 27th 11, 01:33 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.comp.homebuilt
Daniel James

In article , Philip Herlihy wrote:
Wireless networking is a black art, and I'm increasingly convinced the
secret is to say *exactly* the right number of Hail-Marys when setting

up...

... and sacrifice a chicken at the dark of the moon ... you know it makes
sense.

FWIW the system I have here uses a wired ADSL router (in my study, which is
separated from the rest of the house by solid formerly-external brick wall)
and a wireless ethernet router (with the router part turned off) upstairs on
the end of a length of Cat-5e. That way SWMBO has some wired ports for her
PC/laptop/printer in her study and we have a WAP inside the main shell of
the house so that the signal only has to penetrate wooden floors and stud
walls to reach most rooms.

I deliberately didn't use a wireless router in my study because of the brick
walls (though, somewhat ironically, the wireless signal reaches my study
through the brick better than it does some of the remoter parts of the
kitchen) and because I didn't want to have to struggle with making two WAPs
work seamlessly together (the price of chickens being what it is).

Cheers,
Daniel.