Sky Broadband support

Old May 26th 11, 11:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter

Default Sky Broadband support

Hi,

My Sky broadband has died - does anyone have a geographical number
that I can call?

--
Cheers

Peter

(Reply to address is a spam trap - pse reply to the group)
Old May 26th 11, 01:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

"Peter" wrote in message
Hi,

My Sky broadband has died - does anyone have a geographical number
that I can call?

AFAIK all Sky numbers are rip-off 0871 and cost 10p per minute or
thereabouts. The geographical one shown on www.saynoto0870.com just play a
message referring to the 0871 number.

Peter Crosland

Old May 26th 11, 01:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Mc

Peter Crosland wrote:
: AFAIK all Sky numbers are rip-off 0871 and cost 10p per minute or
: thereabouts. The geographical one shown on www.saynoto0870.com just play a
: message referring to the 0871 number.

Never let facts stand in the way of preconceptions! Sky's numbers are
actually 08442 at 5p/minute at all times - or free from phones with Sky line
rental. Given that BT charged me 20p to make a 1 second call during the day
I would hardly call 5p/m as premium and certainly NOT rip-off!!!!!

Old May 26th 11, 01:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter

On Thu, 26 May 2011 11:39:25 +0100, Peter
wrote:

Hi,

My Sky broadband has died - does anyone have a geographical number
that I can call?

Thanks both for taking the time to reply. I did find an 0800 number,
came complete with a recorded announcmentn thyat Sky were having a
major problem with Broadband in south Wales

Old May 26th 11, 05:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

"Brian Mc" wrote in message
Peter Crosland wrote:
: AFAIK all Sky numbers are rip-off 0871 and cost 10p per minute or
: thereabouts. The geographical one shown on www.saynoto0870.com just
play a
: message referring to the 0871 number.

Never let facts stand in the way of preconceptions! Sky's numbers are
actually 08442 at 5p/minute at all times - or free from phones with Sky
line
rental. Given that BT charged me 20p to make a 1 second call during the
day
I would hardly call 5p/m as premium and certainly NOT rip-off!!!!!

Thanks you for correcting me. However compared with the cost of calls to
terrestrial numbers by those who have a call package that includes all calls
to terrestrial numbers it is a rip-off! This is particularly the case with
calls to support lines that often take ages to in a queue and in any case
can be lengthy i.e. a thirty minute call will cost £1.50. It would not take
many of those to run up a bill larger than I pay for all my calls in a
month.

Peter Crosland

Old May 26th 11, 07:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

On 26/05/2011 13:30, Brian Mc wrote:
Peter wrote:
: AFAIK all Sky numbers are rip-off 0871 and cost 10p per minute or
: thereabouts. The geographical one shown on www.saynoto0870.com just play a
: message referring to the 0871 number.

Never let facts stand in the way of preconceptions! Sky's numbers are
actually 08442 at 5p/minute at all times - or free from phones with Sky line
rental. Given that BT charged me 20p to make a 1 second call during the day
I would hardly call 5p/m as premium and certainly NOT rip-off!!!!!

Maybe not a rip-off but surely calls to ISPs' customer service helpdesks
should ideally be free or at most at "national geographic" rates?

George
Old May 26th 11, 08:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian Mc

Peter Crosland wrote:

: Thanks you for correcting me. However compared with the cost of calls to
: terrestrial numbers by those who have a call package that includes all calls
: to terrestrial numbers it is a rip-off!

I STILL don't agree!In no way is a "daytime" inclusive package any use for me
(I do have evenings and weekends) and the current BT minimum price of ~20p
(including connection and minimum time) is the TRUE rip-off! Most Sky
cusomers do get their CS calls free anyway.

Old May 26th 11, 09:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Thu, 26 May 2011 19:55:08 +0000, Brian Mc wrote:

Peter Crosland wrote:

: Thanks you for correcting me. However compared with the cost of calls
to : terrestrial numbers by those who have a call package that includes
all calls : to terrestrial numbers it is a rip-off!

I STILL don't agree!In no way is a "daytime" inclusive package any use
for me (I do have evenings and weekends) and the current BT minimum
price of ~20p (including connection and minimum time) is the TRUE
rip-off! Most Sky cusomers do get their CS calls free anyway.

Yes, but the BT daytime inclusive one is not a particularly good package
anyway.

To go back to the 0844 issue...if one is on one of the many third party
packages, they offer calls to 'normal' numbers at a much better rate at
all times (e.g. 18185 at 5p for a very long call). They can't offer that
for 0844 numbers. And, of course, many of us may have to call when not at
home (perhaps we have to work!) and might have to use a mobile; there,
0844s cost a fortune yet normal geographical numbers are included in the
package.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Old May 26th 11, 10:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Crosland

"Brian Mc" wrote in message
Peter Crosland wrote:

: Thanks you for correcting me. However compared with the cost of calls to
: terrestrial numbers by those who have a call package that includes all
calls
: to terrestrial numbers it is a rip-off!

I STILL don't agree!In no way is a "daytime" inclusive package any use for
me
(I do have evenings and weekends) and the current BT minimum price of ~20p
(including connection and minimum time) is the TRUE rip-off! Most Sky
cusomers do get their CS calls free anyway.

The difference between the BT evening and weekend inclusive calls and the
all inclusive calls to 01, 02, 03 0845 and 0870 numbers is £1.70 per month
which for many people is a very good deal. Where the cheapest is best
argument fails is in the service. Whilst I no great fan of BT having the
line with them does give access to 24/7 fault reporting and avoids having to
go through another level of bureaucracy. My experience suggest that is worth
paying a little more on the line rental. The other thing to remember is that
unless you are on an exchange that SKY have unbundled then the savings are
minimal.

Peter Crosland

Old May 28th 11, 07:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
TR

On 26/05/2011 13:58, Peter wrote:
t I can call?

Thanks both for taking the time to reply. I did find an 0800 number,
came complete with a recorded announcmentn thyat Sky were having a
major problem with Broadband in south Wales

You're so grateful that you haven't actually told us what the
0800 number was. Truly bizarre.