BT install FTTC cabinets just for fun ?

Old May 31st 11, 04:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Benham

Default BT install FTTC cabinets just for fun ?

I noticed a few weeks ago that a new FTTC cabinet had appeared next to
an old BT cabinet on the main road about 1km from home.
[ Alas this is on a different exchange from my line at home, although
it feeds the next road ].
Plugging phone numbers I know are fed from this cabinet into the Infinity
checker tells me that there are no plans to rollout Infinity to that
area in the next 6 months. But BT's map shows that the exchange (LNENF)
is ready for orders (IIRC it was one of the exchanges in the first phase).

Is this just BT's database being out of date, or is there a huge time
gap between installing an FTTC cabinet and it being ready for action ?
Old June 1st 11, 05:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R. Mark Clayton

"Andrew Benham" wrote in message
I noticed a few weeks ago that a new FTTC cabinet had appeared next to
an old BT cabinet on the main road about 1km from home.
[ Alas this is on a different exchange from my line at home, although
it feeds the next road ].
Plugging phone numbers I know are fed from this cabinet into the Infinity
checker tells me that there are no plans to rollout Infinity to that
area in the next 6 months. But BT's map shows that the exchange (LNENF)
is ready for orders (IIRC it was one of the exchanges in the first phase).

Is this just BT's database being out of date, or is there a huge time
gap between installing an FTTC cabinet and it being ready for action ?

They have to lay fibre from the exchange to the new cabinet, wire back from
the old one, obtain a power supply (slow) and then connect it all up and
test it. Yep it takes months.

Old June 11th 11, 05:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

"R. Mark Clayton" wrote in message

[...]

And that's where they install the correct number of MUX (apparently they
have to be able to offer the product to 80% of the exchange users)

Old June 13th 11, 11:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

On Sat, 11 Jun 2011 17:57:38 +0100, "kraftee"
kraftee:b&e-cottee.me.uk wrote:

[...]

Have more info about the 80% figure?
--
(\__/) M.