21CN WBC

Old May 31st 11, 04:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

Default 21CN WBC

According to http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/LCBRN I see that it
says "21CN WBC Status RFS date set 31/05/11", which is of course, today.
What does that actually mean for me as an end-user? Does it mean that I can
now get ADSL2+ and if so, do I have to ask BT for it? My ISP is BT Internet,
BT Yahoo, BT Broadband or whatever it's calling itself these days.

Thanks

Old May 31st 11, 11:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Tobin

In article ,
Steve wrote:

According to http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/LCBRN I see that it
says "21CN WBC Status RFS date set 31/05/11", which is of course, today.
What does that actually mean for me as an end-user? Does it mean that I can
now get ADSL2+

Yes. Assuming of course that they have in fact done it...

Try the BT Wholesale availability checker at

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

(and not any other apparently similar checker). If ADSL 2+ is
available it should tell you - it gives speed estimates for whichever
of plain ADSL, ADSL Max, ADSL 2+ (and Annex-M), and FTTC are
available.

and if so, do I have to ask BT for it? My ISP is BT Internet,
BT Yahoo, BT Broadband or whatever it's calling itself these days.

Yes, ask your ISP.

-- Richard
Old June 1st 11, 07:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Tue, 31 May 2011 22:33:05 +0000 (UTC),
(Richard Tobin) wrote:

In article ,
Steve wrote:

According to
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/LCBRN I see that it
says "21CN WBC Status RFS date set 31/05/11", which is of course, today.
What does that actually mean for me as an end-user? Does it mean that I can
now get ADSL2+

Yes. Assuming of course that they have in fact done it...

Try the BT Wholesale availability checker at

https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

Richard

I have just tried the above, entering my telephone number and get,
amongst other pearls, this

"Your cabinet is planned to have WBC FTTC by 31st March 2012. Our test
also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology
with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received
downstream line speed of 32.7Mbps and upstream line speed of 6.6Mbps"

What does it mean?! When can I get the 32.7Mbs?

Looking at samknows I see

FTTC status:
RFS date set : 01/09/2011

Where am I ?!

Cheers

Geoff
Old June 1st 11, 11:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Tobin

In article ,
wrote:

"Your cabinet is planned to have WBC FTTC by 31st March 2012. Our test
also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology
with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received
downstream line speed of 32.7Mbps and upstream line speed of 6.6Mbps"

What does it mean?!

It means that you may well be able to get FTTC next year. FTTC
is advertised as "up to 40" Mb/s; the 32.7 figure reflects your
distance from the cabinet (several hundred yards, probably).

When can I get the 32.7Mbs?

After 31st March 2012. With the emphasis on "after".

Looking at samknows I see

FTTC status:
RFS date set : 01/09/2011

FTTC dates seem to be constantly falling behind. The BT Wholesale
checker date is likely to be more up-to-date than the Sam Knows one.

Bear in mind you will have to pay extra for FTTC. BT sell it
under the "BT Infinity" brand, but you will be able to get it from
some other ISPs too (e.g. Zen).

-- Richard
Old June 2nd 11, 09:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

On 01/06/11 23:25, Richard Tobin wrote:
In ,
wrote:

"Your cabinet is planned to have WBC FTTC by 31st March 2012. Our test
also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology
with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received
downstream line speed of 32.7Mbps and upstream line speed of 6.6Mbps"

What does it mean?!

It means that you may well be able to get FTTC next year. FTTC
is advertised as "up to 40" Mb/s; the 32.7 figure reflects your
distance from the cabinet (several hundred yards, probably).

My reading of it is that the 2012 date is spurious and that FTTC is
already enabled. Check with your ISP and see what they say.

You wouldn't get those predicted line speeds if FTTC wasn't enabled. My
local exchange is due to get FTTC at the end of the month, but broadband
checker makes no mention of it: it only gives predicted speeds for ADSL2+.

Old June 2nd 11, 09:35 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

"chris" wrote in message
On 01/06/11 23:25, Richard Tobin wrote:
In article

You wouldn't get those predicted line speeds if FTTC wasn't enabled. My
local exchange is due to get FTTC at the end of the month, but broadband
checker makes no mention of it: it only gives predicted speeds for ADSL2+.

The Checker gives me the predicted speeds for ADSL2+ but the speed is half
what I actually get!
How is it Be Unlimited get more down this copper wire than BT broadband
would?
Regards
David

Old June 2nd 11, 11:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

On 02/06/11 09:35, David wrote:

"chris" wrote in message
On 01/06/11 23:25, Richard Tobin wrote:
In article

You wouldn't get those predicted line speeds if FTTC wasn't enabled.
My local exchange is due to get FTTC at the end of the month, but
broadband checker makes no mention of it: it only gives predicted
speeds for ADSL2+.

The Checker gives me the predicted speeds for ADSL2+ but the speed is
half what I actually get!
How is it Be Unlimited get more down this copper wire than BT broadband
would?

It's only a prediction, remember. You must be wired up with particularly
fast copper...

For me it predicts I should get 9 - 17Mbps with 13Mbps typical (ADSL2+).
I'm more or less rock solid on 12Mbps, so it's pretty accurate for me.
Old June 2nd 11, 12:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David

"chris" wrote in message
On 02/06/11 09:35, David wrote:

"chris" wrote in message
On 01/06/11 23:25, Richard Tobin wrote:
In article

You wouldn't get those predicted line speeds if FTTC wasn't enabled.
My local exchange is due to get FTTC at the end of the month, but
broadband checker makes no mention of it: it only gives predicted
speeds for ADSL2+.

The Checker gives me the predicted speeds for ADSL2+ but the speed is
half what I actually get!
How is it Be Unlimited get more down this copper wire than BT broadband
would?

It's only a prediction, remember. You must be wired up with particularly
fast copper...

For me it predicts I should get 9 - 17Mbps with 13Mbps typical (ADSL2+).
I'm more or less rock solid on 12Mbps, so it's pretty accurate for me.

Well I'm not going to risk a change to BT should I fall out with Be,
doubtful I would fall out with Be as very happy with them.
Regards
David

Old June 2nd 11, 12:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

wrote:

"Your cabinet is planned to have WBC FTTC by 31st March 2012. Our test
also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology
with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received
downstream line speed of 32.7Mbps and upstream line speed of 6.6Mbps"

What does it mean?!

It means that you may well be able to get FTTC next year. FTTC
is advertised as "up to 40" Mb/s; the 32.7 figure reflects your
distance from the cabinet (several hundred yards, probably).

My reading of it is that the 2012 date is spurious and that FTTC is
already enabled. Check with your ISP and see what they say.

Chris

'have just spoken to Talktalk Business Tech Support man and he says he
is as confused as I am! He has the same info.

He suggests talking to BT - but who on earth would I speak to there?!

Cheers

Geoff