If only we had nationwide FTTP

Old June 8th 11, 01:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

Default If only we had nationwide FTTP

A team from Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory led by Chinese-American
professor Zhang Xiang has developed a broadband technology so fast it would
enable the download of an entire 3D movie in only a few seconds. The
breakthrough, which could be available to consumers in three to five years,
was made possible by the team's invention of a graphene-based optical
modulator.

Read more at:

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/cndy/20...t_12654194.htm

Old June 8th 11, 05:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Tobin

In article ,
John wrote:

A team from Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory led by Chinese-American
professor Zhang Xiang has developed a broadband technology so fast it would
enable the download of an entire 3D movie in only a few seconds.

Yes, but can it do anything useful?

-- Richard
Old June 8th 11, 07:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Richard Tobin wrote:
In article ,
John wrote:

A team from Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory led by Chinese-American
professor Zhang Xiang has developed a broadband technology so fast it would
enable the download of an entire 3D movie in only a few seconds.

Yes, but can it do anything useful?

-- Richard

Looks like it. should enable about ten times plus speeds on fibre.
Wont be used in local loop th..more likely to be used to up the traffic
on backbones.
Old June 8th 11, 08:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Champ

Richard Tobin wrote:
In article ,
John wrote:

A team from Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory led by
Chinese-American professor Zhang Xiang has developed a broadband
technology so fast it would enable the download of an entire 3D movie
in only a few seconds.

Yes, but can it do anything useful?

-- Richard

Looks like it. should enable about ten times plus speeds on fibre.
Wont be used in local loop th..more likely to be used to up the traffic
on backbones.

Looks to me as though it'll mostly drop costs, not bring speeds up. How
many links are there needing more than 10Gbit?

Andy
Old June 11th 11, 09:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
alexd

Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.broadband Job Justification Hearings, Andy
Champ chose the tried and tested strategy of:

Looks to me as though it'll mostly drop costs, not bring speeds up. How
many links are there needing more than 10Gbit?

Given that it would take only 10 ordinary desktop PCs to saturate a 10Gb
link, then I would guess that we're talking millions of connections, at
least.

--
http://ale.cx/ (AIM:troffasky) )
23:46:02 up 5 days, 13:31, 5 users, load average: 0.01, 0.06, 0.12
Old June 12th 11, 12:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil W Lee

alexd considered Sat, 11 Jun 2011 09:54:19
+0100 the perfect time to write:

Meanwhile, at the uk.telecom.broadband Job Justification Hearings, Andy
Champ chose the tried and tested strategy of:

Looks to me as though it'll mostly drop costs, not bring speeds up. How
many links are there needing more than 10Gbit?

Given that it would take only 10 ordinary desktop PCs to saturate a 10Gb
link, then I would guess that we're talking millions of connections, at
least.

Even though I have full duplex switched gigabit networking within my
home network, even the fastest PCs can only manage to push (or pull) a
maximum of about 30% of that (the server can do a bit better, but
64bit 133MHz network cards or caching raid5 controllers aren't common
in normal desktop PCs).
It just means the bottleneck isn't the network anymore (I can save
large files faster to my server than to my local hard disk - it has
more cache, a faster disk - or rather array, and much faster I/O
system).