Individual.Net refusing connections ?

Old June 12th 11, 10:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

Default Individual.Net refusing connections ?

Is it just me this morning, but since 10am this morning, I can't connect to
Individual, says I've been suspended due to too many NNTP connections from my
IP address. Yet, my access and use this morning is no different to any other
Sunday morning over the last 10 years with them.

Old June 12th 11, 12:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave N

Mark Carver wrote, on 12/06/2011 10:34:
Is it just me this morning, but since 10am this morning, I can't connect
to Individual, says I've been suspended due to too many NNTP connections
from my IP address. Yet, my access and use this morning is no different
to any other Sunday morning over the last 10 years with them.

According to your headers, you're still using Thunderbird v2.0.0.24
whilst the latest is v3.1.10 and that is about to be updated to v5 at
the end of June.

If you are using Thunderbird within Windows to access Individual.net,
you might like to check the value of max_cached_connections for your
news account in your config file. Access is via the Options menu and
look for the "Config Editor" (ISTR the exact location in Thunderbird's
options changed between versions but currently it is under "Advanced",
the "General" Tab).

Enter "mail.server.server" in the filter and examine all of the numbered
server configurations for the one showing the "hostname"
news.individual.net. Just below that (4 places lower?) will be the
"max.cached.connections" which should be 2 as a Thunderbird default for
news servers.

I recall that this specific configuration used to change automatically
to a much higher value whenever I altered any other mail configuration
factor, under earlier versions of Thunderbird, but that doesn't happen
with the current version.

Hope I haven't been trying to teach you to suck eggs? ^)

--
Dave N
Old June 12th 11, 12:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

Dave N wrote:
Mark Carver wrote, on 12/06/2011 10:34:
Is it just me this morning, but since 10am this morning, I can't connect
to Individual, says I've been suspended due to too many NNTP connections
from my IP address. Yet, my access and use this morning is no different
to any other Sunday morning over the last 10 years with them.

According to your headers, you're still using Thunderbird v2.0.0.24
whilst the latest is v3.1.10 and that is about to be updated to v5 at
the end of June.

I've tried using v3 on this machine and it soaks up far too many resources,
and hangs. Works fine on my much lower powered laptop, so I'm baffled.

Enter "mail.server.server" in the filter and examine all of the numbered
server configurations for the one showing the "hostname"
news.individual.net. Just below that (4 places lower?) will be the
"max.cached.connections" which should be 2 as a Thunderbird default for
news servers.

Shows 600, and max cached value is indeed 2

Hope I haven't been trying to teach you to suck eggs? ^)

Well, much appreciated, I didn't know that info was available.

The error message looked like a standard one sent from Individual.net, the
same wording is mentioned on their FAQ.

As I say, I'd only just logged on this morning, when the problem started.
Anyway, as you can see, it's all started working again now !

--
Mark

www.paras.org.uk