Two Internet Connections at Once ... ?

Old June 13th 11, 09:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
CJB

Default Two Internet Connections at Once ... ?

I usually use a Three dongle for secure Internet connections - that is
when logging onto email etc.

And living on the top floor of a block of flats I can also get a free
wifi service from the nearest airport. This is quite useful in that I
can browse the web for free.

However I have noticed that sometimes whilst I am connected via the
Three dongle, the free wifi service also connects.

So in effect I am connected twice to the Internet. When I spot this I
usially disconnect the free wifi 'cos if I'm using my dongle I'm doing
secure stuff like emails, eBay, etc.

When this happens I have checked both connections and they are
transmitting megabytes to and fro.

How is this possible. And which service am I really connected to? And
what are the consequences potential hacking into my computer etc.?

Thanks - Chris B.

Old June 13th 11, 12:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham J

"CJB" wrote in message
I usually use a Three dongle for secure Internet connections - that is
when logging onto email etc.

And living on the top floor of a block of flats I can also get a free
wifi service from the nearest airport. This is quite useful in that I
can browse the web for free.

However I have noticed that sometimes whilst I am connected via the
Three dongle, the free wifi service also connects.

So in effect I am connected twice to the Internet. When I spot this I
usially disconnect the free wifi 'cos if I'm using my dongle I'm doing
secure stuff like emails, eBay, etc.

When this happens I have checked both connections and they are
transmitting megabytes to and fro.

How is this possible. And which service am I really connected to? And
what are the consequences potential hacking into my computer etc.?

You are connected to both. However, one has priority for outgoing traffic.

On a PC, run the command

netstat -rn

This will show all the active routes. The value in the "metric" column
indicates priority. Lower value means higher priority.

Potentially anybody on the public WiFi network can see your computer. If
file sharing is off, ordinarily they should not be able to see any files.
However, being a public WiFi network the operator may have configured the
network so their clients cannot see each other. Ideally you should have a
firewall on your computer, and configure it to prevent access to machines on
the WiFi LAN.

Perhaps the "Three" connection has NAT somewhere, and you are allocated a
private address on the Three network. Alternatively you might be allocated
a public IP address. As with any such connection, you should have a firewall
to protect your computer.

Ideally, you should not run the firewall on your computer. Potentially
malware could corrupt any firewall running on the computer, so you should
place the firewall between your computer(s) and all the internet
connections. This can be done with a router, which will implement NAT
(effectively a firewall function) and - depending on the router - will have
more sophisticated firewall features you can configure.

However, in your circumstances you would require a router that supports the
Three dongle and a WiFi connection. You could implement the WiFi connection
with an Access Point configured as a client. Then choose an ethernet router
with the facility for connecting a USB dongle. Such a router could be
configured for load sharing, so traffic goes out through either or both
connections, depending on the rules you set.

It follows that with this arrangement the internet connections(s) would be
available to all the computers (PC, Mac, Linux - whatever)connected to the
router. Handy if you have several computers.

--
Graham J

Old June 13th 11, 12:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

Graham J wrote:
"CJB" wrote in message
[...]

It ain't that simple.

To successfully load share between two IP addresses - which the PC will
have due to it having two interfaces active - you need to be running BGP.

And no way is a noddy PC on the end of a broadband link going to be
allowed to propagate that.

Even if Microsoft knew what it was..

In reality, if you have two equal weight default routes, half of the
data will go missing as the receiving end will get packets from sources
it doesn't have an active connection to. It can only connect to one IP
address at a time, and if the computer is sending equally via two, it
will be a relative disaster.

I actually had such a customer setup to debug years ago. The exactly 50%
packet loss was the key..

If one interface has preference, then all the traffic, in and out will
go via that route.

The othert may be connected, but will bear only keep-alive traffic.

Old June 13th 11, 01:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DrTeeth

On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 12:29:22 +0100, just as I was about to take a
herb, The Natural Philosopher disturbed my
reverie and wrote:

BGP

What is that please?
--

Cheers,

DrT

Old June 13th 11, 02:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Davey

On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 10:53:35 +0100
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

CJB wrote:
I usually use a Three dongle for secure Internet connections - that
is when logging onto email etc.

And living on the top floor of a block of flats I can also get a
free wifi service from the nearest airport. This is quite useful in
that I can browse the web for free.

However I have noticed that sometimes whilst I am connected via the
Three dongle, the free wifi service also connects.

So in effect I am connected twice to the Internet. When I spot this
I usially disconnect the free wifi 'cos if I'm using my dongle I'm
doing secure stuff like emails, eBay, etc.

When this happens I have checked both connections and they are
transmitting megabytes to and fro.

I doubt it.

I have seen this two-routes effect when I was playing around getting my
wireless system working. I could be connected via WiFi, then plug in
the wired connection, and they would then both be active. I don't know
how much of the total each one did, nor how many IP addresses they had,
but they both showed activity when I opened up the PC's
Connection Information Box, and both used the same modem/router at the
same time.
--
Davey.
Old June 13th 11, 03:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon Darling

On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 13:03:43 +0100, DrTeeth wrote:

On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 12:29:22 +0100, just as I was about to take a herb,
The Natural Philosopher disturbed my reverie and
wrote:

BGP

What is that please?

Border Gateway Protocol

Regards
Gordon

--
ox·y·mo·ron n. pl. ox·y·mo·ra or ox·y·mo·rons A rhetorical figure in
which incongruous or contradictory terms are combined, as in Microsoft
Old June 13th 11, 03:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

DrTeeth wrote:
On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 12:29:22 +0100, just as I was about to take a
herb, The Natural Philosopher disturbed my
reverie and wrote:

BGP

What is that please?

Border gatey protocol. How internet multipath routing is done.
Old June 13th 11, 03:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Natural Philosopher

CJB wrote:
[...]

the key there is they both used the SAME modem router.

so only one public IP address is involved
Old June 13th 11, 04:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DrTeeth

On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 15:57:32 +0100, just as I was about to take a
reverie and wrote:

Border gatey protocol. How internet multipath routing is done.

Tnx 2 u 2g.
--

Cheers,

DrT