Plus Net Binary News Servers SUCK bigtime.

Old June 13th 11, 08:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Champ

Default Plus Net Binary News Servers SUCK bigtime.

On 13/06/2011 11:09, Paul Cummins wrote:

That's not theft, that Copyright Infringment. The original owner has not, in any
way, been deprived of his property.

Good theory. So I spend 10 MY developing a game, and it's distributed
for free on the internet without my permission. As a result sales
collapse, and my company goes bust.

And you would then claim I had not been deprived of my property?

Andy
Old June 13th 11, 08:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

On 13/06/2011 18:20, NCO wrote:
following:

In , lid (Hugh
Jampton)
wrote:

It has almost certainly been stolen as it has not been provided by
the original copyright holder or with his/her permission!

--
Paul Cummins - Always a NetHead
Wasting Bandwidth since 1981

The files are unauthorized, the poster broke the law by distributing them,
downloading them without the permission of the copyright holder is not illegal
under UK law.

I reject the idea of Intellectual (Imaginary) Property Rights, IPR defines
"property" as structure not content, unlike Private Property (houses/land etc.)
which does. Enforcing IPR amounts to censorship (and violation of privacy in
some cases).

It is a citizens duty to defy unjust laws, I leave you with some 1984...

War is Peace
Freedom is Slavery
Ignorance is Strength
Sharing is Theft

OK, we all have our opinions but like it or not, the law is the law -
and there is a law of copyright.
If you defy what you consider to be an unjust law you could get arrested
- you have to accept that risk.
In a democracy, parliament makes laws.
Parliament is made up of members.
You vote (or not) for your member of parliament.
If you think a particular law is unjust, lobby your member of
parliament, either directly or through a pressure group, national
newspaper, whatever.
If enough people share your views and lobby their MPs, laws will get
made, repealed, amended, etc., in line with public opinion.
If insufficient people share your views, nothing will change. At this
stage, ask yourself why they don't - be prepared to admit that you're in
the minority or just get frustrated.
That's the way it works...

If nothing changes, ask yourselpeople
If members of parliament ignore the will of those who elected them, they
won't be voted in again.

Old June 13th 11, 08:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DrTeeth

On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 20:24:47 +0100, just as I was about to take a
herb, George Weston disturbed my reverie
and wrote:

downloading them without the permission of the copyright holder is not illegal
under UK law.

This is 110% correct. It is only uploading/sharing that breaks the
law.
--

Cheers,

DrT

Old June 13th 11, 10:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Tobin

In article ,
Andy Champ wrote:

Good theory. So I spend 10 MY developing a game, and it's distributed
for free on the internet without my permission. As a result sales
collapse, and my company goes bust.

Suppose someone brings out a better, cheaper game, and your company
goes bust. Continuing to have a non-bust company is not a property
right.

And you would then claim I had not been deprived of my property?

You have not been deprived of your property. Your monopoly has been
destroyed.

-- Richard
Old June 13th 11, 10:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

and wrote:

downloading them without the permission of the copyright holder is not illegal
under UK law.

This is 110% correct. It is only uploading/sharing that breaks the
law.

It is not even 10% correct. It is 100% incorrect.

Might I suggest that the two of you try reading the Copyright, Designs
and Patents Act 1988 sometime?

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/48/contents

--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Crime doesn't pay... does that mean my job is a crime?
Old June 14th 11, 09:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark

On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 20:24:47 +0100, George Weston
wrote:

On 13/06/2011 18:20, NCO wrote:
following:

In , lid (Hugh
Jampton)
wrote:

[...]

OK up until here. IMHO governments take very little notice of the
"people". It is rich business lobbyists that have the most influence
on law making. This is particularly evident with copyright law.

Old June 14th 11, 05:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John

Mark wrote:
On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 21:19:43 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Andy Champ wrote:
On 13/06/2011 11:09, Paul Cummins wrote:

[[[[[[[snipped]]]]]]]]]

It is a shame since I liked going to gigs but can seldom afford to any
more.

That's why we started to look at tribute bands. Some people don't like
tributes but I think they're bloody good. They're playing to people who know
and love the original bands so they've got to be good at it or they just
won't get the audience. Whole Lotta Led don't look like the original members
of Led Zeppelin but bloody hell, it's spooky just how much they sound like
them - close your eyes and you really could be listening to Plant, Page and
Co.

The brilliant Whole Lotta Led http://www.wholelottaled.co.uk/ (12 quid last
week at Blackburn King Georges Hall),

Free At Last http://www.freeatlast.info/ (7 quid a couple of weeks ago in
Bolton)

Freestealer http://www.myspace.com/freestealer (another Free/Bad Co tribute,
7 quid)

Who's Next http://www.premierwhotribute.com (7 quid)

LiveWire http://www.livewiredc.co.uk/booking.html (AC/DC, 12 quid and bloody
superb - first half Bon Scott era, second half Brian Johnson)

DC/79 http://www.dc79.co.uk/ (Brian Johnson era AC/DC, 7 quid)

Are You Experienced http://www.areyou-experienced.co.uk/main.htm (Jimi
Hendrix, 7 quid)

Limehouse Lizzy http://www.limehouselizzy.co.uk/ (Thin Lizzy, 8 quid)

and many, many more that I just haven't got time to list. However, we've
seen all of the above bands at least twice each and will go again anytime
they're playing.

Old June 14th 11, 10:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

and wrote:

downloading them without the permission of the copyright holder is not
illegal
under UK law.

This is 110% correct. It is only uploading/sharing that breaks the
law.

It is not even 10% correct. It is 100% incorrect.

Might I suggest that the two of you try reading the Copyright, Designs
and Patents Act 1988 sometime?

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/48/contents

CDPA only covers "distributing".

Utter rubbish.

It covers ANY copying.

And downloading is undoubtedly copying.

Some copying is specifically permitted by the CDPA, of course, but not
the majority of what is being talked about here.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Ok, I pulled the pin. Now what? Where are you going?
Old June 15th 11, 12:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Windmill

NCO writes:

It is a citizens duty to defy unjust laws, I leave you with some 1984...

War is Peace
Freedom is Slavery
Ignorance is Strength
Sharing is Theft

It's decades since I read any Orwell. Time to correct that. Thank you
for the quote.

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
@ O n e t e l