Austin Taylor vs Pressac vs ADSLNation faceplates

Old June 13th 11, 08:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Denis McMahon

Default Austin Taylor vs Pressac vs ADSLNation faceplates

So, I have decided to try either the Pressac or Austin Taylor (or
possibly even both) faceplates to compare with the ADSLNation.

If anyone has experience of both the Pressac and Austin Taylor ones, I'd
be interested in hearing which they thought was best. There's a
suggestion that the Austin Taylor may be better able to handle long
lines, but at approx 3km I'm not sure mine counts as "long".

Rgds

Denis McMahon
Old June 17th 11, 11:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Denis McMahon

On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 18:21:16 +0000, Denis McMahon wrote:

So, I have decided to try either the Pressac or Austin Taylor (or
possibly even both) faceplates to compare with the ADSLNation.

If anyone has experience of both the Pressac and Austin Taylor ones, I'd
be interested in hearing which they thought was best. There's a
suggestion that the Austin Taylor may be better able to handle long
lines, but at approx 3km I'm not sure mine counts as "long".

Follow up - The Austin-Taylor faceplate from Solwise has been on the line
for just under 48 hours now, and the line is running about 1000 kbps
faster downstream, with about 42% of the FEC errors, than it was with the
ADSLNation faceplate.

I'll give it a couple more days and then try the Pressac faceplate (I
bought both in the end).

However, the ADSLNation faceplate, at the moment, is not living up to the
hype.

Rgds

Denis McMahon
Old June 17th 11, 12:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Furniss

Denis McMahon wrote:
On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 18:21:16 +0000, Denis McMahon wrote:

So, I have decided to try either the Pressac or Austin Taylor (or
possibly even both) faceplates to compare with the ADSLNation.

If anyone has experience of both the Pressac and Austin Taylor ones, I'd
be interested in hearing which they thought was best. There's a
suggestion that the Austin Taylor may be better able to handle long
lines, but at approx 3km I'm not sure mine counts as "long".

Follow up - The Austin-Taylor faceplate from Solwise has been on the line
for just under 48 hours now, and the line is running about 1000 kbps
faster downstream, with about 42% of the FEC errors, than it was with the
ADSLNation faceplate.

Interesting - I may have to try one of those.

But then since I recently got switched to adsl2+ on my 3km 44db line I
can easily see 1000kbps/big diff with errors just by different
syncs/times on the same (adsl nation) plate.

Even within the same sync sometimes I can see a rise in FECs when the
plasma is on - but sometimes not, I guess it's just luck as to where the
bitswapping has loaded things varying over time.
Old June 17th 11, 01:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
George Weston

On 17/06/2011 11:14, Andy Furniss wrote:
Denis McMahon wrote:
[...]

I don't know which brand of filtered faceplate that Openreach use but
they fitted one of their own to my line (free of charge) when sorting
out a similar fault about a year or so ago. This did the trick nicely,
raising my downstream speed from just over 1 Mbps to 2.8 Mbps.
I was quite surprised that they were prepared to do this but I'm not
complaining!

George
Old June 18th 11, 02:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Denis McMahon

Denis McMahon wrote:
[...]

I believe BT use the (3-way Krone variant) Pressac, mine came with
Openreach branded instructions and a supplement for the 6-way Krone. (The
Pressac I have has a 6-way Krone)

There is an issue with the Austin-Taylor that I was seeing before, but
which the ADSLNation had resolved - namely line drops on ring.

It resynced slightly slower afterwards, 6982 vs 7037, this was in the
evening - I'd initially fitted it at lunchtime ish.

Anyway .... the Pressac will be going on early next week I imagine.

Rgds

Denis McMahon
Old June 18th 11, 09:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Denis McMahon wrote:

I believe BT use the (3-way Krone variant) Pressac, mine came with
Openreach branded instructions and a supplement for the 6-way Krone. (The
Pressac I have has a 6-way Krone)

Yes the OpenReach version and the modified ones from Clarity IT are
essentially the same front PCB with the circuitry on, but a different
back PCB with the connectors on

http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_faceplate.htm
http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_faceplate_mod.htm

Solwise sell the Pressac, Austin Taylor and an own brand faceplate.

Old June 18th 11, 11:08 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Denis McMahon

On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 08:02:44 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

[clarity website link]

Yeah, clarity also sell the stp "uber modem cable" design that, in my
installation, reduces the downstream. This colours my view of them.

Rgds

Denis McMahon
Old June 18th 11, 11:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

Denis McMahon wrote:

clarity also sell the stp "uber modem cable" design that, in my
installation, reduces the downstream. This colours my view of them.

Well, judging by the quirks on their website, they do have a bit of an
"I'm mad, me" attitude ...

Old June 20th 11, 12:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham.

"Andy Burns" wrote in message ...
Denis McMahon wrote:

clarity also sell the stp "uber modem cable" design that, in my
installation, reduces the downstream. This colours my view of them.

Well, judging by the quirks on their website, they do have a bit of an
"I'm mad, me" attitude ...

A Glasgow firm under an Italian domain?
Puts me in mind of.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0rgETg2Hoo

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old July 21st 11, 01:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Furniss

Andy Furniss wrote:
Denis McMahon wrote:
[...]

Well I finally got one (Austin) and can't tell the difference between it
and the adsl nation.

What prompted me to change was BTs DLM after years on interleaved
decided to switch me to fast, which means I don't have that much CRC
data to compare - but it does look much the same.

Apparently DLM has changed to be less fussy recently, a few weeks before
I switched to 21cn my target margin got lowered to 6 after years at 9.

For 21cn BT are phasing out banded ip profiles, so at least I don't have
to care about just missing one with sync - for me they now just get set
to approx 88.2% of sync.

Even within the same sync sometimes I can see a rise in FECs when the
plasma is on - but sometimes not, I guess it's just luck as to where the
bitswapping has loaded things varying over time.

Getting put on to fast and the extra FECs turning to CRCs made me get
round to investigating this.

It turns out that it's not the plasma as such causing it and is nothing
to do with bit swapping - it only happenes when hdmi inputs are used,
not internal receivers. The hdmi inputs are right next to the aerial
input and I was using a crappy flylead from an amp that is also
connected to a PC with DVB-T cards that lives near to my modem.

Easy solution for me - unplug it, the TV also has DVB-S which is all I
use anyway.