Problem with small home network.

Old June 13th 11, 11:49 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Flyig u 211 + on desktop

Default Problem with small home network.

My network consists of a 2wire 2700HGV router which provides wifi
connections to an Advent Netbook and a 5 year old Novatech desktop through
an attached wifi dongle. Both these computers are running Windows XP Home
Edition Service pack 3. A third archaic Tiny desktop (circa 1998) and
running Windows 98 is connected to the Novatech by a crossover ethernet lead
as 98 can't run a wifi system and I, for a variety of reasons, want to
continue with 98 on that computer. Up to just over a week ago all were
running fine with both file sharing between any two and also all sharing the
printer which is connected to the Novatech desktop through the parallel
port. Then for some reason both netbook and the Novatech crashed within an
hour. I managed to recover the netbook - don't ask me how - but not the
Novatech. So I had to format and reinstall Windows XP on the Novatech. I
have struggled for several days to get the network working again and am
almost there by having restored file sharing between netbook and the
Novatech, and Novatech to the Tiny. Unfortunately I cannot share files
between the netbook and the Tiny and the Tiny won't activate the printer.
Also, although file sharing between the Novatech and Tiny has been restored
the Tiny can't connect to the internet. Anyone any ideas how I can restore
file sharing between the netbook and the Tiny and restore the Tiny to
connect with the net. I presume that if I can restore the connection to the
2700HGV from the Tiny that will automatically restore file sharing between
netbook and Tiny. Anyone any ideas? I'm sure that it must simply be some
settings that aren't correct, but what and where will I find them. All 3
computers are running Zone Alarm firewalls.
--
Heard messages are sweet but those Unheard are sweeter
FN 211+. Mungo Brandybuck of Buckland

Old June 14th 11, 03:30 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dave Saville

On Mon, 13 Jun 2011 22:49:13 UTC, "Flyig u 211 + on desktop"
wrote:

snip

You did turn on "share my internet connection" or whatever it's called
on the Novatech? Presumably the tiny gets to the rest of the world
through the XP box.
--
Regards
Dave Saville
Old June 14th 11, 06:14 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Flyig u 211 + on desktop

wrote:

snip

You did turn on "share my internet connection" or whatever it's called
on the Novatech? Presumably the tiny gets to the rest of the world
through the XP box.

Where abouts is the "share my internet connection" option in XP David. I
couldn't find it, and yes the Tiny did see the rest of the world through
the Novatech desktop.

Old June 14th 11, 07:04 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Howard Neil

wrote:

snip

You did turn on "share my internet connection" or whatever it's called
on the Novatech? Presumably the tiny gets to the rest of the world
through the XP box.

Where abouts is the "share my internet connection" option in XP David. I
couldn't find it, and yes the Tiny did see the rest of the world through
the Novatech desktop.

Open Windows Explorer (windows key + "E"), right click on a disk and
select properties. Click on the "sharing" tab.

--
Howard Neil
Old June 14th 11, 08:05 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Jeff Gaines

On 14/06/2011 in message
Howard Neil wrote:

Where abouts is the "share my internet connection" option in XP David. I
couldn't find it, and yes the Tiny did see the rest of the world through
the Novatech desktop.

Open Windows Explorer (windows key + "E"), right click on a disk and
select properties. Click on the "sharing" tab.

That's sharing a disk, not sharing an Internet connection.

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
If it's not broken, mess around with it until it is
Old June 14th 11, 08:26 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
PeeGee

wrote:

snip

You did turn on "share my internet connection" or whatever it's called
on the Novatech? Presumably the tiny gets to the rest of the world
through the XP box.

Where abouts is the "share my internet connection" option in XP David. I
couldn't find it, and yes the Tiny did see the rest of the world through
the Novatech desktop.

IIRC, XP uses ICS to provide the service (run Help & Support and search
for ICS). That will provide the "loop through" and DHCP for the Tiny.

HTH

--
PeeGee

to be removed from a computer easily."
Old June 14th 11, 09:16 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Morley

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 20:26:41 +0100
PeeGee wrote:

IIRC, XP uses ICS to provide the service (run Help & Support and
search for ICS). That will provide the "loop through" and DHCP for
the Tiny.

And binds the DHCP server on the XP host to 192.168.0.1 even if you
change the host address after installing ICS, which can cause some
confusion. :-\

Old June 15th 11, 12:46 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Flyig u 211 + on desktop

Jeff Gaines wrote:
On 14/06/2011 in message
Howard Neil wrote:

Where abouts is the "share my internet connection" option in XP
David. I couldn't find it, and yes the Tiny did see the rest of
the world through the Novatech desktop.

Open Windows Explorer (windows key + "E"), right click on a disk and
select properties. Click on the "sharing" tab.

That's sharing a disk, not sharing an Internet connection.

Yep! I just spotted that too Jeff.

Old June 15th 11, 03:52 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Flyig u 211 + on netbook

news:[email protected]
PeeGee wrote:

IIRC, XP uses ICS to provide the service (run Help & Support and
search for ICS). That will provide the "loop through" and DHCP for
the Tiny.

And binds the DHCP server on the XP host to 192.168.0.1 even if you
change the host address after installing ICS, which can cause some
confusion. :-\

That sounds confusing in itself to me Rob.
--
Heard melodies are sweet, but those Unheard are sweeter
FN 211 +, Mungo Brandybuck of Buckland

Old June 15th 11, 10:52 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Flyig u 211 + on netbook

news:[email protected]
wrote:

snip

You did turn on "share my internet connection" or whatever it's called
on the Novatech? Presumably the tiny gets to the rest of the world
through the XP box.

I found that eventually Dave. R Click on the wireless network icon in
Network Connections - then advanced tab, but it didn't help. So I set up
a network bridge between the wireless connection and wireless connection
and although the network bridge icon in the systray reports it is connected
at a speed of 100.oMbps I still can't get the Internet and have lost the
file sharing as well. I'm totally clueless about what to try next.